3D print... OOP models, Enclave fan-fiction modifications

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

3D print... OOP models, Enclave fan-fiction modifications

Post#1 » Sep 23 2017 07:18

A common thread for all my Tau mods...

Orca
Intended to be mostly FDM printed, since having it printed professionally would cost about 2500$.
All 3D files are on it's MyMinifactory Page, (It's finished (incl. detachable cabin), except the insides and maybe deployed landing gear.)
I do have a separate thread for it here as a guide how to bring it into life, but I yet have to finish writing it, not much point going there now :(
I do want to thank 2 forum members, QimRas and Vay, who helped me with finding some internet pictures and with taking some photos of the Orca (respectively), and all people who made a youtube video with an Orca (I'm pretty sure I watched them all.)

Crisis mods

Poseable Arms, Underslung Weapon Mount
(Compatible with standard XV8 size suit.)
(Shapeways Link)
This started as an attempt to make a triple weapon mount arm... safe to say now it would look thick as duck, so I stayed with being poseable, a bit longer arm with underslung weapon mount and one more rotation axis than the standard arms.

CIB
(Compatible with the underslung mount without looking weird)
(Shapeways Link)

FB
(Shapeways Link)

BTW, I yet have to receive my first shapeways order with these parts, I suspect going with 0.15mm large details on the arms and FB might be a bit overkill even for those printers...

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 3D print... OOP models, Enclave fan-fiction modifications

Post#2 » Sep 23 2017 07:20

[Reserved]

greenman019
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 23 2017 08:02

Actually looking for some CIB. How do those compare size and quality wise?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Sep 23 2017 08:15

greenman019 wrote:Actually looking for some CIB. How do those compare size and quality wise?

Size is mostly the same. I can't tell/show you quality yet, I will receive my own on 3rd of October if their estimate is correct.

greenman019
Shas

Post#5 » Sep 23 2017 08:20

Gragagrogog wrote:
greenman019 wrote:Actually looking for some CIB. How do those compare size and quality wise?

Size is mostly the same. I can't tell/show you quality yet, I will receive my own on 3rd of October if their estimate is correct.

Be interested to know. Please update when they show up. :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 24 2017 02:27

Nice to see another 3d modeler.
You may want to contribute to our 3d resource thread http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25004. PM to AgentArrow to update the OP.

A side note concerning OOP models: GW is likely to still hold the (c) on them, so be cautious if you offer the model (specially if it is ready to be printed)

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 24 2017 04:08

Any idea how much the Orca costs to print?

MikeMurdock
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 24 2017 06:26

I am happy for more mods for tau equipment showing up on shapeways. these arms and a few other parts i been seeing will be great for honor guard units to make them look vastly different from regular battlesuits :) I hope to see more from you

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 24 2017 11:01

Gragagrogog wrote:

The image looks fantastic. I'm surprised no-one's put up any Tau Ion-looking weapons up on Shapeways. Are there any legality issues though?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Sep 24 2017 11:24

Mmmh...why not make versions with spots for magnets already included? Most T'au player would want to magnetize their Crisis weapons anyway. :P

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Sep 25 2017 02:04

Panzer wrote:Mmmh...why not make versions with spots for magnets already included? Most T'au player would want to magnetize their Crisis weapons anyway. :P

THIS

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Sep 26 2017 07:11

Aj'T'au wrote:Any idea how much the Orca costs to print?

Depends on how and who prints it... I separated the parts into 3 groups based on detail level, #1 and #2 can be printed on any cheap home FDM printer, but it's still about 1kg of plastic, a week or more of print time, this might cost anything from 30$ just for the material if you have a good friend with a printer, about 150-200$ would imo be a reasonable price if I were to do it(probably also for some1 on 3DHubs), or about 800$-3000$ from shapeways(depending on the material)

The 3rd group of parts (the most detailed ones) would be very cheap to print in FDM, but they wouldn't look good. I ordered those in mostly Frosted Extreme Detail from shapeways for 160$ (and I could make some copies from silicone moulds when they arrive as it's mostly just thin flat panels with details...) I also did multiple versions of some of those to be more printable in FDM...

I'm going to write a bit more detailed guide into the orca thread, just need to find some time&energy for it...

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Sep 26 2017 07:29

Panzer wrote:Mmmh...why not make versions with spots for magnets already included? Most T'au player would want to magnetize their Crisis weapons anyway. :P

This would be easier if we had some "magnet standards" already, but yea, if you tell me what magnets you use, how spaced are they, how much they stick out from a flush surface, I'll send you a link.

^This is just so we're clear how coordinates are oriented (if some would want some non-cylinder, non-square magnet holes...)

The maximum magnet size the weapons could take is a X=5mm, Y=3mm, Z>=5mm block, the Y dim. could be a bit larger if it's a cylinder...

The "enclave arms" are a bit more constrained, with X=4mm, Y=2mm, Z>=6, but faces could be altered to take bigger magnets...

As for the original GW parts, the weapon nobs seem to vary in the Y dimension from 1.2mm to 1.45 (though it has a slight taper, hard to measure precisely...) and jetpack slots are about 1.4mm wide and 1.2-1.25mm deep. Anything bigger than 1.35mm cyliner doesn't fit into the slot without scratching paint...

This is the way I currently magnetize... Let's call it Graga1 :D
Two 1.2mm dia, 3mm tall magnets on each side, spaced 1.8mm center to center, sticking out 1.25mm from the weapon...
Wouldn't say it's an easy one... the only way I can currently drill this precisely is to glue the plastic part into the left part of this, drill it, and then dissolve the glue in ethanol...

Magnets availible here: https://e-shop.magsy.co.uk/neodymium-ma ... a-1-2x3-n/ (UK page)
Predrilled SH parts: EDIT: This was obsolete, use links that are in shapeways descriptions.
Last edited by Gragagrogog on Nov 22 2017 04:17, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Sep 26 2017 07:33

If you want to prevent rotating of the bit you could always just keep part of the plastic you used for measurement in your image and use only one magnet. Would probably easier for most. ^^

Anyway, I wasn't really mentioning it out of personal interest. More like a general suggestion to improve your stuff. You could start a poll to see which kind of magnets most people use.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Nov 27 2017 01:00

There's a free shipping and 10% off sale on shapeways today, on orders of 25$ or more, if any1's interested...

Return to “Modelling”