[WIP] Cadre Fireblade conversion

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Alcohealix
Shas

[WIP] Cadre Fireblade conversion

Post#1 » Oct 02 2017 02:15

Decided to take a stab at converting my Ethereal to a Fireblade. First time working with greenstuff so its definitely rough, but so far has come out better than i expected.

Spoiler!

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Re: [WIP] Cadre Fireblade conversion

Post#2 » Oct 02 2017 04:17

You can smooth greenstuff when working with it by wetting your finger and smoothing it. Keep at it, you can only get better with practice.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 02 2017 04:24

Hey, there is a nice "micro tutorial" by Joe5952 Little Flags. Has some nice tips on how to work with "green stuff"

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 03 2017 10:11

MNGamer wrote:You can smooth greenstuff when working with it by wetting your finger and smoothing it. Keep at it, you can only get better with practice.

I learned the hard way the dangers of getting it too wet and it ended up sliding all over the place instead of sticking to the model. The struggle was real. I'm going to try standing down as much to smooth it out. I think it'll be a good start point to look back on someday.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Oct 03 2017 11:45

Alcohealix wrote:
MNGamer wrote:You can smooth greenstuff when working with it by wetting your finger and smoothing it. Keep at it, you can only get better with practice.

I learned the hard way the dangers of getting it too wet and it ended up sliding all over the place instead of sticking to the model. The struggle was real. I'm going to try standing down as much to smooth it out. I think it'll be a good start point to look back on someday.

You aren't supposed to wet the greenstuff. Wet your finger a little bit. Or just use a proper tool if you have one. :D

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 03 2017 12:45

Haha i know, but i was wetting my fingers too much and rolling it around...ended up being overkill!

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Oct 03 2017 05:54

A touch of Vaseline (or a similar product) keeps it from being too tacky, easier to smooth out, downside is that it increases the curing time (but not by a whole lot from what I can tell)

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 05 2017 10:21

Love a conversion, makes me want to try one. Keep us posted!
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 05 2017 05:45

Ifrit wrote:A touch of Vaseline (or a similar product) keeps it from being too tacky, easier to smooth out, downside is that it increases the curing time (but not by a whole lot from what I can tell)

What is the typical curing time? First time using it i felt like it was a race against the clock (which shows in the quality), although after letting it cure overnight it still felt malleable.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 06 2017 05:58

From my experience it depends on how thick the green stuff is and the application and the general temperature of the room. I've never made anything with it I have used it to gap fill before which is typically pretty thin but even then it'll probably be about a few hours before it's solid enough to handle and I wait 12-16 before I do any kind of sanding.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 06 2017 06:04

Yeah thickness, humidity of the air and temperature are the important factors. It's all about how quickly it can dry. I usually to the rough greenstuff work one day and the detail stuff like sanding and actual painting the next day.

Return to “Modelling”