Revised head design 3D

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Revised head design 3D

Post#1 » Oct 04 2017 12:20

I'm working on re-scaling and cleaning up the head designs I made years ago. They used to fit the old styled suits fairly well but looks like giant bobble heads on the new style suits since the current range is smaller.
Here's what I was toying with, I have a second set of heads printing atm that are about 10% wider so see if the width makes a difference. I am also going to work on another version that includes the old style chin, it likely won't fit the irridium armor chest due to the collar but should fit ok on the standard chest.

Please ignore the broken neck syndrome, I just plopped the heads on for pics and there's nothing holding them in place so they are all leaning a bit oddly.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Revised head design 3D

Post#2 » Oct 04 2017 12:36

Hm I like your old design since it's more different than the regular head but still fits the T'au aesthetic. The scale is just off. ^^

PuppetMaster
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 04 2017 01:31

I like it :)

I use the old for my commanders. I feel they are ever so slightly too large so I see it as an improvement.

I may be alone but making them ever so slightly wedge shaped like the front part of the commander head would give them more life. I think making them wider as you said would also help. Like the design, just things I think would make it "pop" more :)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 04 2017 07:58

What program are you using?

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 04 2017 07:05

Rhino or Zbrush depending on what I'm sculpting. You can just as easily use blender or sketch up if you want freeware programs. Pretty much any basic 3d program will let you build printable stuff and most of the advanced features are meant for animation and rendering so there's no need for a high end program for making minis.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 04 2017 11:25

Omg.. Been trying forever to figure out how to set a reliable mini size in zbrush. Do you use a template or could you send me a ztl file that and help me out with sizes?

Pm if you can. I can sclupt anything just no idea how to set it to 32mm mini size.

To be honest I watched a video on sizes once and just went back to sculpting not really looking back.

I have crap tons of old assets that simply need to be sized for printing.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Oct 05 2017 12:39

The new heads look great! One question though. I've been using your XV8 heads for years, and they always seemed like the perfect size on the old XV8 chassis. Yet, in your pictures, on the new XV8s they look so absurdly massive! It seems like the new XV8s are larger than the old ones, yet the heads look even bigger on new XV8s than on the old ones. Am I going crazy, or did you make the heads larger, or something else?

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Oct 05 2017 11:47

Stop taking those crazy pills :P

The new suits are about 10-15% smaller than the old ones. The old ones were 54-55mm tall and the new ones are under 50mm depending on the pose, the irridium armor version when posed completely upright is a hair under 50mm and the standard torso ones come in at about 46-47mm when using the walking legs which puts it at 15% smaller than the old suit.
The suit proportions also changed a bit, minor tweaks on the torso with the hip piece, the arms are also slightly narrower. The head and neck is smaller on the new model, so are the feet.

The new models are much more dynamic and the changes to the proportions change how it appears to carry it's weight and with the shoulder pads added it looks bulkier and has more of a football player like profile which tricks you into a sense that it's a bigger model but it's actually a good head height shorter than the old ones.

The weapons were pretty much all unchanged in size, they added some more details but they are the same as the originals.

My old style heads were a bit on the large size and probably 10% oversized, but so are most of the Forge World variants. But it becomes comically oversized when you put them on the new suits as they go from being 10% to somewhere around 25-30% oversized.

Knives wrote:Omg.. Been trying forever to figure out how to set a reliable mini size in zbrush. Do you use a template or could you send me a ztl file that and help me out with sizes?

Pm if you can. I can sclupt anything just no idea how to set it to 32mm mini size.

To be honest I watched a video on sizes once and just went back to sculpting not really looking back.

I have crap tons of old assets that simply need to be sized for printing.

If I do Zbrush work I import the .OBJ file to either Rhino or Maya to fix the scale then export it as .STL, before I do any printing I run it through Netfabb to check to make sure everything is water tight and there's no holes in the meshes. It also lets me measure the parts and change the size. For some reason I always need to change the scale from 1 to .10 . there's a way to change the preset measurements from cm to mm but I forget how so I just manually correct it in Netfabb.

Basically everbody that I know who's working as a digital/animation artist has to know on average 4-6 different programs and be able to switch files in between them, it's kind of a pain but each program has it's own strength and weaknesses. If you are strictly modelling for printing you can get away with a much narrower skill set. Netfabb has a freeware version that I use to final check my meshes, Meshlab is also freeware and I used to use it but the new version is a very different interface and doesn't have the same options it used to so I haven't used it in a while but it might be worth trying as well.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Oct 05 2017 07:05

Paulson wrote:Stop taking those crazy pills :P

The new suits are about 10-15% smaller than the old ones. The old ones were 54-55mm tall and the new ones are under 50mm depending on the pose, the irridium armor version when posed completely upright is a hair under 50mm and the standard torso ones come in at about 46-47mm when using the walking legs which puts it at 15% smaller than the old suit.
The suit proportions also changed a bit, minor tweaks on the torso with the hip piece, the arms are also slightly narrower. The head and neck is smaller on the new model, so are the feet.

The new models are much more dynamic and the changes to the proportions change how it appears to carry it's weight and with the shoulder pads added it looks bulkier and has more of a football player like profile which tricks you into a sense that it's a bigger model but it's actually a good head height shorter than the old ones.

That explains it, thanks! Man, I could have sworn the new suits were bigger than the old ones. I guess the larger bases and higher part count threw me off!

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 05 2017 11:09

The new suits can be bigger than the old ones, if you mount the torsos as high up on the waist dome thing as they can go, and put them on tiptoes. Then it looks pretty good. :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Oct 05 2017 11:28

Can't confirm. I have an old Crisis and a new one here.
The torso and the crotch parts are pretty much the same size with the new models having an abdomn part added for poseability.
Legs, arms and jet pack thrusters are the same size as well with slightly different spacing, again for poseabilitys sake.
Overall the new Crisis model has pretty much the same dimensions as the old one but more detailed and better poseable. The one real difference is that the new Crisis has an abdomn added which only makes it taller, not smaller.

Not sure where your huge head problem comes from. Maybe you screwed up your file at some point in the past? I suggest taking the very same head and putting it on an old Suit to see that it's really not a problem of the new Suits. I use the same head bitz on the old one and the new ones as well after all.

Then again the old Crisis has a weird raise for the head which is not as pronounced on the new one which could be the actual problem here.

Return to “Modelling”