Normal Crisis converted to Commanders/Coldstars

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Normal Crisis converted to Commanders/Coldstars

Post#1 » Oct 14 2017 10:59

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of 4th ed crisis suits, which used to be interchangeable with commanders. I own no new commanders. The new commander model is big and on a bigger base as far as I can tell. Coldstars too. For tournaments, do I need to get new models or is there a way to convert normal crisis to be appropriately "commander-esque"?

Thanks.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Normal Crisis converted to Commanders/Coldstars

Post#2 » Oct 14 2017 11:39

Iron-Fist wrote:Hey guys,

I have a bunch of 4th ed crisis suits, which used to be interchangeable with commanders. I own no new commanders. The new commander model is big and on a bigger base as far as I can tell. Coldstars too. For tournaments, do I need to get new models or is there a way to convert normal crisis to be appropriately "commander-esque"?

Thanks.

As long as you convert them appropriately (so they stand out as unique compared to ordinary XV8s) it'll be totally fine. You can still use old Broadsides, old Rhinos, etc. No issue with not using the updated model.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 15 2017 01:41

Does the base size matter? I know the new commanders are on big bases but the old ones werent.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 15 2017 02:48

Depends on the tournament. Some say it's okay to use the base the model came with back then, some ask you to update to the current base size.
For such questions you should ask the tournament orga.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Oct 15 2017 03:28

As you will be playing him as a commander it would help to show this by using a bigger base plus if you go down the road of building up the base with cork etc or buy a textured base it will help to bulk up the model to Commander size.

If you play him as a standard commander then technically you can use the old small base as these where available with the old style commander but as Panzer suggests, it is pretty much up to individual tournaments rulings.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 15 2017 03:13

As far as I can recall there are no official rules in 8th edition regarding model bases. I believe GW's current stance is base them however you want as long as its cool and you used their products to do it.

Return to “Modelling”