QFC / coldstar magnetise?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

QFC / coldstar magnetise?

Post#1 » Dec 04 2017 05:19

Hi,

So some lovely chaps in the fire caste forum have advised me to get a commander or coldstar.

However I can't afford both, and I'm under the impression that they are part of the same box.

So my question is, can they be magnetised to be interchangeable?

Thanks

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Re: QFC / coldstar magnetise?

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 05:30

Yes, the box contains both options and if you have magnets of the right size to fit and a steel can or something for the wingy bits, you can definitely magnetize it, I know lot of ppl do that, you might find some posts about it in the modeling section of the forum
you have to find some extra FB's though as the box probably contains only one

stayhandsome
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 06:57

It also depends on how far you want to differentiate them.

They have different heads, there are additional stabilizers on the XV86, and the jump pack is different. All of those bits are easily magnetized, but they may be a cut off point (like the head) that you really don’t care to differentiate.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 04 2017 12:50

It can be done indeed, as my collegues are saying.

I just did it a week ago just magnetizing the weapons (I put 4 weapon points for the commander), and the jump pack.
Just doing this, you can easily differenciate both models, as one is more aerodynamic than the other, and also carries just 2 specific weapons.

:biggrin:

szeszej
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 04 2017 02:52

The way I did this was to magnetize the engines first. This can be done easily just by:

- inserting a magnet into the slot that connects the engine to the body (depending on the size of the magnet you might want to drill the slot a little bit)
- cutting the pin on the body where the slot should go and replacing it with a magnet

This way you have two sets of engines - one you can magnetize to swap weapons for the normal commander and one for the coldstar that you don't need to magnetize further

Then I also drilled 2 holes in the bottom of the arms to put weapons there. I also drilled an additional hole in side of one of the arms because I wanted my Coldstar to have a shield and it looked really stupid magnetized to the botton ;)

I hope I'm making myself clear, I don't have the model with me at the moment to take pictures :(

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 04 2017 04:18

Thanks all, I'll go ahead and get one

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Return to “Modelling”