Advice please: XV8 Vs commander

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Advice please: XV8 Vs commander

Post#1 » Dec 09 2017 05:58

Hi, having only got XV8s and so having seen the commander only in art work, what's the difference in the models? I'm balking at the price of what looks like essentially a crisis suit, and wondered if I could convert one

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Commander Deffblade
Shas

Re: Advice please: XV8 Vs commander

Post#2 » Dec 09 2017 08:34

The new (2015) Crisis suits are great and have plenty of options to make a commander. There are 3 types of XV8 torso designs, one of which is an XV8-02 Iridium suit which works great for a Commander.

The new Commander is bigger than the XV8s, and can make either the XV85 Enforcer or the XV86 Coldstar. It is slightly more poseable and has some cool bits (hands & fins) that don't come with the Crisis set.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 10 2017 02:43

So if I just want a QFC I can likely get away with the iridium armour and a fancy paint job?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Dec 10 2017 06:45

Orion7 wrote:So if I just want a QFC I can likely get away with the iridium armour and a fancy paint job?

Bingo. That's what I do, and what loads of people do.

IceFall
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 10 2017 11:43

So - minor spoiler here re an upcoming army update on my project log but here are the two models together. These models don't have the jetpacks on as they are in progress but you can see the relative sizes of the two models.

My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 10 2017 01:42

Wait WHAT?!

He is THAT big?

Seems a whole lot bigger than my finecast commander. did they scale it even bigger when moving to plastics, or am I imagining it?

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 10 2017 03:52

XV-8 can allways count as commander, doesn't matter if iridium or not, GW didn't discount the option to use XV-8 suits for commander even though more modern suits are out for them, according to fluff XV8 are still used by commanders and it seems that there actually aren't enought coldstar/enforcer suits for all commanders
There actually is a suggested way of marking suits depending on their rank, so if your army follows this you only need to paint them properly. If you want to distinguish them more, you can swap main colour and marking colour of your paint scheme, convert them to make them stand out, or put them on 60mm base.

Pretty much all you have to do to use XV8 as commander is to make it stand out from crisis suits in some way, but usually the suit having 4 guns glued/magnetised to it is a dead giveaway.

Commander Deffblade
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 10 2017 07:43

The new Commander XV85/XV86 kit is about the same height as the old XV8-05 finecast model Commander. But it is bulkier and far more customizable.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 11 2017 09:23

Just put together a new Commander suit yesterday and I was blown away by how much bigger they were compared to the original crisis suits. I still have old metal heads from the original commander sets so I magnetize the heads and swap out the different heads for extra commanders on my old xv8's to make them stand out.

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 11 2017 12:06

That's brilliant help from all of you, model wise and fluff wise!

Thanks

Garacaius
Shas

Post#11 » Dec 17 2017 04:48

Some of the old models came with different heads, three antennae instead of two and so-on. You might do well to eBay source some of those, or perhaps go third party like Red Dog Minis.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Dec 17 2017 06:52

Garacaius wrote:Some of the old models came with different heads, three antennae instead of two and so-on. You might do well to eBay source some of those, or perhaps go third party like Red Dog Minis.

I have the old heads, and they're actually a bit big for the new XV8 chassis. The new XV8s have smaller, low-profile heads, so the old metal commander heads look very large.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 18 2017 01:25

Arka0415 wrote:I have the old heads, and they're actually a bit big for the new XV8 chassis. The new XV8s have smaller, low-profile heads, so the old metal commander heads look very large.

Good to know! I only have old Crisis Suits at the moment, though I have some new ones kicking around in the Start Collecting Box.

While I have a dearth of older XV8 Commanders with the funny heads, I only have two new Commander Kits, the ones that build either a Coldstar or an Enforcer suit. I have built the one I primed white as a Coldstar (left-handed, candy-striper though she is... https://i.imgur.com/16vNNV6.jpg).

Im wondering if I should build another Coldstar with my black-primed Commander kit... They're quite good shoring up gaps and tackling objectives. I can continue to use my older Crisis Commanders as Commanders.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Return to “Modelling”