Ghostkeel cockpit

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Ki'noch
Shas'Saal

Ghostkeel cockpit

Post#1 » Dec 28 2017 03:34

Hi all, got the rapid insertion cadre for Xmas and taking my time building the models up. Currently looking at the ghostkeel. The question I'm asking is, do people paint the tau pilot? It looks like you can leave the cockpit open or glue it closed with the helmet on. I'd prefer to have it with the helmet so I'd rather save myself the time of having to paint the little dude.
Ki'noch Cadre assembly in progress :fear:

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Re: Ghostkeel cockpit

Post#2 » Dec 28 2017 04:26

It's all up to you! Paint and model how you want! I painted the inside of my Devilfish, but some people glue the hatch shut.

I plan to paint the pilot when I eventually get a ghostkeel, but it's all up to your taste.

If you are leaving the helmet down covering the cockpit, then it makes a degree of sense not to paint what's under it. Especially if you are just trying to work through models.
On the other hand you might enjoy the practice of painting an ordinary sized figure that no one but you will see. It helps the learning process.

Overall, I would. But it really is about what you want.

Ki'noch
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 28 2017 04:44

Cheers, I think i may paint him but I might keep him out and use it as a practice dummy, have you magnetized the weapons on your ghostkeel? the ones on the shoulders?

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 28 2017 04:58

I don't have a ghostkeel... yet. But I do plan to magnetize the weapons. It's generally helpful for our suits to be magnetized as we have a variety of potential loadouts and being prepared for that is useful.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Dec 28 2017 08:05

Ki'noch wrote:Do people paint the tau pilot? It looks like you can leave the cockpit open or glue it closed with the helmet on. I'd prefer to have it with the helmet so I'd rather save myself the time of having to paint the little dude.

I'd agree with you here. Unless you're painting up a showpiece model for a display shelf somewhere, you're going to use the Ghostkeel with the helmet down in battle, right? I wouldn't bother painting the little guy, and use the helmet instead.

Ki'noch
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 29 2017 03:35

Cheers Arka, I don't know what my painting is going to be like so I won't be entering competitions anytime soon! Need to look at buying some magnets and little drill etc now.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Dec 29 2017 04:34

Ki'noch wrote:Cheers Arka, I don't know what my painting is going to be like so I won't be entering competitions anytime soon!

Sorry, I wasn't taking a dig at your painting skills! Rather, when the Ghostkeel is in battle, the cockpit won't be open, right? That would be suicide for the pilot! If the model is sitting on a shelf or in a display case the cockpit might be open, but otherwise, it should probably be closed.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 29 2017 05:49

I personally would probably paint the cockpit open just because I think I can make it look cool. I enjoyed painting the cockpits on my two storm surges. I had to paint the cockpits before glueing the module together since it allowed me to get maximum detail.

Since you are new, here's some things I discovered about painting. Nuln oil is a great product to "wash" your shadowing effects onto your models once you have painted them. It really captures the facial details nicely on tau heads. Best tip for making your paint jobs look cleaner is to thin your paints. This will take more time to finish models but will greatly increase the way they look. By thinning the paints, more of the models details will be present, and will be able to be brought out using a wash. I thin my paints using a left over Chinese food container , put a moist paper towel in it, then use parchment paper on top of that. I then mix drops of paint with droplets of water on top of the parchment paper ($1 at dollar tree) and go to work. The nice thing about using this setup is it will prevent the paint from drying out so quickly. This will save you money as you will not need to buy so much replacement paint. I have haven't found the need to buy any replacement paints for the colors I use and I been painting for at least 4 months pretty heavily. I don't think metallic paint though since metallic paints look wierd if I thin them down. Best of luck

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 29 2017 08:57

If you feel the need to thin down metallic paints you can use paint medium and it won't separate it like water usually do :smile:

I've just got started building my Ghostkeel. I think I'll just spray the inside of each half of the cockpit, paint some buttons and wash real quick. :)

GARBLED_COMMS
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 05 2018 01:55

I really want to see a ghostkeel with the hatch blasted/slagged open, revealing the pilot. Would look super badass, but I'm a few decades from trying something that advanced.

Zeruel
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 06 2018 06:24

Personally I think it is a waste of time. If you glue the cockpit there is no reason to paint the inner part because something painted is somthink to show for me.

Return to “Modelling”