XV-8 as a drone unit proxy?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Lore
Shas

XV-8 as a drone unit proxy?

Post#1 » Dec 30 2017 02:59

Two things: I really don't like the recon drone, its massive which (OK it has 2 wounds but it) is not what stealthy recon activities normally imply. Even removing sections to reduce the length of the bottom cylinder it just looks too big.

Drones are really expensive figures - I've seen the thread on blue stuffing them but then thought why not proxy a 5 strong unit with an XV-8 Pathfinder support suit. Attach the Burst cannon to one arm (to represent the recon drone), put the pulse accelerator & grav-inhibitor parts on the shoulder mounts, then just have to decide two of: Markerlight attached to head, twin linked pulse rifles or a shield on the other arm. Also have to magnetise everything to determine what order they are lost in.

Anyone else done this? :neutral:

Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Re: XV-8 as a drone unit proxy?

Post#2 » Dec 30 2017 05:52

I love this idea. It'll need some working to properly represent their base sizes and potentially any line of sight issues. Still, I love the concept. I magnetize my crisis suits with a total of 6 magnets. It would be super easy to magnetize spare pulse rifles and markerlight bits, and magnetize even more shields, to represent drones.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 31 2017 02:53

Nice idea.
But think about visually make a difference between stats of crisis and those of drones: removing/changing head is probably the better way (a magnet could help here too). Or maybe removing arms (to mount weapons a la stormsurge), but this will need too much magnets.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Dec 31 2017 03:09

Have you considered using something smaller than an XV8? It could be confusing for your opponent seeing as XV8s have +1T and +1W compared to a Recon Drone. Maybe you could try and convert something that looks like a Heavy Gun Drone?

Return to “Modelling”