Where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Post#1 » Jan 04 2018 03:40

Just as the title says. As the new codex is (maybe) around the corner I've been thinking about ways to revitalize my old Broadsides. I'm considering swapping their heads our for the new, smaller XV8 heads, but there's a bigger issue when it comes to "modernizing" these old models.

Broadsides can take a single Seeker Missile now, which might become a viable choice if Seeker Missiles are improved in the new Codex.

That said, where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Post#2 » Jan 04 2018 03:59

:? WIthout having to modify the existing model much, I'd say as a vertical launch tube situated between the heatsink/capacitor banks at the back?
Ka'ash Sept

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 04 2018 02:40

On the old GW metal bits ones: I would put it over one of the shoulders, magnetize the part that would align the missile slightly up over the shoulders toward the back; shave off the seeker missile stub and magnetize in the center.

you can use the riptide SMS over 1 shoulder, or a rail over 1 shoulder, and the seeker over the other.
For the greater good!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 04 2018 06:49

CmdrCASh wrote::? WIthout having to modify the existing model much, I'd say as a vertical launch tube situated between the heatsink/capacitor banks at the back?

So basically right behind the raised vent (behind the head) but a little lower down?

Macknight wrote:On the old GW metal bits ones: I would put it over one of the shoulders, magnetize the part that would align the missile slightly up over the shoulders toward the back; shave off the seeker missile stub and magnetize in the center.

The shoulders are taken up by the huge railguns- would you mount the missile on top of one then?

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 04 2018 07:23

Arka0415 wrote:So basically right behind the raised vent (behind the head) but a little lower down?

Yes. I'm assuming no major modifications to the weapons mountings so to me the only reasonable place to affix a missile would be at the back without it looking out of place. Even then, there's not that much space and it probably has to be able to fold the stub wings for stowage, and be vertical launch to clear the battlesuit.

On a side note, do the seekers on the Broadside models look larger than the ones on the Skyrays and Razor/Sun sharks? Is this a case of 40k vehicles being a little smaller scale compared to the infantry/battlesuit models?
Ka'ash Sept

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 04 2018 07:46

CmdrCASh wrote:Yes. I'm assuming no major modifications to the weapons mountings so to me the only reasonable place to affix a missile would be at the back without it looking out of place. Even then, there's not that much space and it probably has to be able to fold the stub wings for stowage, and be vertical launch to clear the battlesuit.

I agree- maybe it could work to file the wings down until they're just barely raised rectangular plates, to give the impression that they have been folded for stowage?

CmdrCASh wrote:On a side note, do the seekers on the Broadside models look larger than the ones on the Skyrays and Razor/Sun sharks? Is this a case of 40k vehicles being a little smaller scale compared to the infantry/battlesuit models?

I don't own a new Broadside model so I can't compare, but I can say that the seeker on the new Broadside looks absolutely huge!

Maybe it could be possible to make a smaller, tube-fired missile mounted somewhere on the model, but then again it might not be recognizable as a Seeker Missile for WYSIWYG purposes...
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jan 04 2018 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 04 2018 07:50

Instead of modifying the Broadside itself (and in no small part because I consider the old Broadside model perfect as it is and impossible to improve on), might I suggest instead kitbashing some kind of carrier drone or seperate launching platform for the seeker missile, and treating it as part of the Broadside for rules purposes?
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 04 2018 08:35

Kakapo42 wrote:I consider the old Broadside model perfect as it is and impossible to improve on

Well, I certainly agree with you there! :D

Kakapo42 wrote:Might I suggest instead kitbashing some kind of carrier drone or seperate launching platform for the seeker missile, and treating it as part of the Broadside for rules purposes?

There's not a whole lot of room on the base, but I guess I could switch out for a larger 50mm base and mount a small drone next to the Broadside? That would definitely work for WYSIWYG purposes, but I feel like the drone would be a huge visual element given the seeker's almost insignificant rules.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jan 04 2018 09:27

Arka0415 wrote:There's not a whole lot of room on the base, but I guess I could switch out for a larger 50mm base and mount a small drone next to the Broadside? That would definitely work for WYSIWYG purposes, but I feel like the drone would be a huge visual element given the seeker's almost insignificant rules.

I was thinking more along the lines of some doodad on a separate small (25mm) base that always stayed in base contact with the Broadside and is ignored for rules purposes, like how Watchers In The Dark used to work for Dark Angels characters.

It would also provide a convenient way to track seeker missile launches (just remove the doodads once the missiles are fired) and allow you to easily field the Broadsides without seeker missiles should you choose to.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 05 2018 12:47

Arka0415 wrote:Broadsides can take a single Seeker Missile now, which might become a viable choice if Seeker Missiles are improved in the new Codex.

I use Seeker Missiles on my Railsides. A Mortal Wound for 5 points is fantastic. It smashes Hunter Killer Missiles out of the water for comparison, as HKs still have to wound and allow armour saves.

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jan 05 2018 03:15

Image Image
Top to bottom:
Broadside
Skyray
Devilfish/HH

I don't have any loose *Shark seekers, but they seem about the same as the Skyray ones

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Jan 05 2018 04:14

Bloodknife92 wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Broadsides can take a single Seeker Missile now, which might become a viable choice if Seeker Missiles are improved in the new Codex.

I use Seeker Missiles on my Railsides. A Mortal Wound for 5 points is fantastic. It smashes Hunter Killer Missiles out of the water for comparison, as HKs still have to wound and allow armour saves.

It still hits on a 4+ re-rolling ones, which gives it slightly more than 0.5 average damage. Not bad, but not great. I'm assuming it'll get better in the Codex though.

Miond wrote:Image Image
Top to bottom:
Broadside
Skyray
Devilfish/HH

I don't have any loose *Shark seekers, but they seem about the same as the Skyray ones

Man, that missile on the Broadside is enormous! I'll definitely stick to the old one from the Devilfish.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jan 05 2018 04:28

If you must have the railgun, you can magnetize on top of the railgun, or just use 1 rail over the shoulder and the seeker on the other, or you can fuse the rails side by side like the newer version and mount them the same way.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/6574 ... 2.html?m=2

shave the seeker stub, magnetize and mount the seeker where the MT is on the right broadside.
For the greater good!

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jan 05 2018 04:40

Arka0415 wrote:It still hits on a 4+ re-rolling ones, which gives it slightly more than 0.5 average damage. Not bad, but not great. I'm assuming it'll get better in the Codex though.

They work exceptionally well when combined with Master of War: Kauyon. I'm still deciding whether I prefer 3 Railsides with Seekers, Plasma and Shields, or whether I take 2 of the former and my Sky Ray for variety, and to enthuse me to paint my lone tank. The idea of 6 potential Mortal Wounds seems great, but after throwing them out, I'd be left with only Markerlights and Secondary weapons.

While I was typing this, it just occurred to me why the second ML hit grants Seekers at firer's BS: so Sky Rays can attempt to operate independently. This never occurred to me before, and it always seemed like a counter productive second ML benefit.....

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 05 2018 07:47

Have you tried to put the Seeker Missile under one SMS on the arms?
At least the old, small one could fit and it could look quite good.
Don´t have tried this, just a suggestion :fear:

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » Jan 05 2018 08:05

Shas'O Ora wrote:Have you tried to put the Seeker Missile under one SMS on the arms?
At least the old, small one could fit and it could look quite good.
Don´t have tried this, just a suggestion :fear:

I just tried this with blu-tac, even the smallest Seeker Missle (the old one from the Devilfish) still looks pretty big. The old Broadsides really aren't that large. If there's a bit somewhere that looks like a missle but is about 50% the size of the seeker it could work though.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 05 2018 08:52

After doing some testing I am with CmdrCASh and would use the biggest rocket and put it vertical on the back,
with the centre of the rocket holding in the centre of this flat circle all crisis suits have.
(I always thought that there should be an additional slot for a shield generater ;) )

This way it looks quite bulky and not so much different then the new broadsides :D

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jan 05 2018 12:20

Bloodknife92 wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:It still hits on a 4+ re-rolling ones, which gives it slightly more than 0.5 average damage. Not bad, but not great. I'm assuming it'll get better in the Codex though.

They work exceptionally well when combined with Master of War: Kauyon. I'm still deciding whether I prefer 3 Railsides with Seekers, Plasma and Shields, or whether I take 2 of the former and my Sky Ray for variety, and to enthuse me to paint my lone tank. The idea of 6 potential Mortal Wounds seems great, but after throwing them out, I'd be left with only Markerlights and Secondary weapons.

While I was typing this, it just occurred to me why the second ML hit grants Seekers at firer's BS: so Sky Rays can attempt to operate independently. This never occurred to me before, and it always seemed like a counter productive second ML benefit.....

I seriously doubt GW put that much thought into it....I see no other examples of that depth of thought anywhere else in the index.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Return to “Modelling”