Where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Jhi'Myr
Shas'Saal

Re: Where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Post#19 » Jan 16 2018 06:56

I was working on a pet project of mine when I realized a solution for your problem.

To start the explanation, I love the oldschool broadsides, and have an unhealthy obsession with magnets. I took the railguns from a pathfinder kit, cut off the arms and put magnets in them, took the smart missile systems from two fire warrior turrets, and put a magnet on the inside of each smart missile system. I've been using 1/8th by 1/16th inch magnets. As it turned out, the plastic of the smart missile system is exactly 1/16th of an inch thick. The drill goes through the plastic to set the magnet properly, and the inside of the SMS is just wide enough inside to fit the crisis suit arm, so the magnet has to be perfectly flush or or better, and the crisis arm has to be perfectly flush or better. This has the smart missile system showing some magnet on the outside of the plastic. I was sitting here looking at this and considering how I was going to apply this seeker missile (the one from the devilfish box) to the broadside, and it struck me. I took another magnet, this one smaller (3/32"x1/16"), and placed it on the outside of the part of the magnet showing from the smart missile system to give it a little space to sit, and then took the magnetized seeker missile and stuck it up to that smaller magnet. Viola. I'll include a selection of pictures to detail. D'ya think perhaps I should make an earth caste article for it as well?
Spoiler!

An example of the smart missile system off and on the crisis suit.

The magnetized broadside parts, on and off the crisis suit.

The seeker missile and bitty magnet, and then the broadside fully assembled with the seeker missile.

How do you think it looks? Honestly, I think it's not too shabby. Still needs to be painted up, but this is my project table, so one step at a time.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jan 27 2018 05:53

Arka0415 wrote:Just as the title says. As the new codex is (maybe) around the corner I've been thinking about ways to revitalize my old Broadsides. I'm considering swapping their heads our for the new, smaller XV8 heads, but there's a bigger issue when it comes to "modernizing" these old models.

Broadsides can take a single Seeker Missile now, which might become a viable choice if Seeker Missiles are improved in the new Codex.

That said, where would you put a Seeker Missile on an old Broadside?

Have you made progress here?
And can you post pictures how you did it?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#21 » Jan 28 2018 02:26

Shas'O Ora wrote:Have you made progress here?
And can you post pictures how you did it?

After some blu-tac experimentation, nothing looks all that good. A Seeker sitting on top of one of the railguns looks odd, and underslung beneath one of the SMS units looks out of place too. The only viable spot in my experience is the back of the model between the jet pack covers, but that does make the rear of the model look very busy.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Jan 30 2018 08:59

You might be able to double up on the shoulder mounted weaponry, then use the spare as a hardpoint?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#23 » Jan 30 2018 09:22

n1md4 wrote:You might be able to double up on the shoulder mounted weaponry, then use the spare as a hardpoint?

True, that's possible. The goal of this little thought experiment is to find out if a Seeker Missile can go anywhere on the old Broadside without compromising the antique look of the model, and I think the answer is no. We'll see though.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jan 30 2018 10:26

I know exactly what you mean. You don't want to over burden the poor fellows.

I have my antique XV88s with under-slung railguns, so the stacked missile pods might look okay.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jan 30 2018 11:19

If using the devilfish missile, I would size it down a bit with file (don't like the design anyway) and put them on side of the missile pod

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#26 » Jan 30 2018 07:53

I'll post a blu-tac mock-up when I get home. You'll be surprised by just how huge even the smallest Seeker Missiles are.

Return to “Modelling”