seated command suit

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Lore
Shas

Re: seated command suit

Post#19 » Jan 08 2018 10:23

Here's the legs the right way around.
Also opened up the torso as I intend having the pilot climbing in as Tyranid Rippers erupt from the sands.
The lower limbs look a bit spindly and bare this way around - scream for greaves - has anyone done this & / or knee guards (Poleyn)?
Also pilot uniform - thoughts? Given the small opening under the door I assume most pilots are lithe small females? ;)

Gather
Shas

Post#20 » Jan 08 2018 05:35

If you are lucky the kneepads in the XV8 Kit will fit.

After putting weapons onto the model and a Pilot your model might already a little too busy for another detail (Unless you are planning on making a diorama then go crazy).

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#21 » Jan 08 2018 06:17

Lore wrote:Also opened up the torso as I intend having the pilot climbing in as Tyranid Rippers erupt from the sands.

This could be cool for a diorama, but the battlesuit's pose itself might not fit. When a pilot climbs out of their battlesuit, do you think it might assume a more low-power mode or something? I'd imagine that an unpiloted battlesuit might, for example, have its arms at its sides and its head pointing slightly down, or something like that.

Lore wrote:Given the small opening under the door I assume most pilots are lithe small females?

In the current lore the Tau don't segregate combat roles by biological sex, but for narrative purposes you can do what you like of course.

Lore
Shas

Post#22 » Jan 09 2018 02:08

This could be cool for a diorama, but the battlesuit's pose itself might not fit. When a pilot climbs out of their battlesuit, do you think it might assume a more low-power mode or something?

I kind of imagine the suit freezing in pose when the pilot disconnects, in this case she has decided to perform a tea ceremony before the battle to enhance her one-ness and calm any impetuous thoughts. She has carefully placed her shell on a rock, positioned to give her some shade from the harshest of the planets suns', but as she whisks her tea in its jade pot the sands begin to shift...

I am out of armatures for the pilot & will need to make arms, legs & head for her, nothing has the clothes & pose I am looking for, did you ever envisage a drones antenna being used as a step ladder?

After putting weapons onto the model

This commander is very weapons light, he's not the usual thing most will put in their competitive lists: shield generator, ATS, 2 missile pods (mainly for the 36" range) being jet mounted they leave the arms / front of figure unrestricted.

Then he'll have a bodyguard of 3 xv-8s': stim-jector <to soak the commander's wounds>, early warning override and a missile pod or cyclic ion canon - undecided.

Zeruel
Shas

Post#23 » Jan 11 2018 10:52

Now with the new legs position the suit is more natural! Nice the BG of the tea ritual, but at that point I'd have changed the position to prevent the sand wind to the pilot in a curled up position or a position with a big cross section to improve the drag to the sandy wind!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jan 18 2018 03:10

Really nice job on the alternate posing Lore, You could try scratch building greaves based on the Forge World XV8s (a personal favourite). The head is great, perhaps consider loosing the Tau Sept symbol? To my mind it looks a bit off...

Looking forward to more...

Lore
Shas

Post#25 » Jan 19 2018 12:27

Here's an update that includes greaves made from airbursting fragmentation projector barrel parts & a start on the pilot, these legs are made from some file shaped sprue, firewarrior calves/feet and a touch of green stuff, oh and a rope ladder:
The pilot will have a couple of rippers snapping at her hooves and be firing a pistol back at them RH, whilst LH will be gripping the ladder, if only I could find my spare tyranid bits.

Onos
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Jan 31 2018 10:18

Mmmm.. IMHO the rope ladder doens't fit so well with that battlesuit. I image a Tau pilot jumping smartly inside the suit holding on to grab bars. And that rope ladder is decisely out of size, it seems to be a wood ladder! Why don't you try to fix the pilot hands to the suit without the ladder?

Onos

Lore
Shas

Post#27 » Jan 31 2018 02:54

Yeah I'm not keen on the ladder either. I tried to make one out of very thin plasticard strips but it was too flimsy.
Was thinking about using an OO/HO train ladder but the hooves are too large to fit between the runs, could cut every other one out, that could work and be more solid than a single grab bar hand hold as I have her twisted body firing back at rippers erupting from the sand beneath where her feet just were. A single hand attachment to support the whole pilot is likely to proves too fragile.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Feb 01 2018 12:53

You could use an XV15 style jump pack? Its much more Tau than rope ladders..?
The 4th edition Codex had rules for an ejection system to allow battlesuit pilots to escape badly damaged battlesuits. Pictures of a conversion for this were released by GW (I think on Conversion corner), but I sadly can't find them. Essentially the model showed a standard firewarrior with an XV15 jump pack and a pulse pistol, It could be a fluffy answer to your problem, the pilot jumping in, rather than out of the suit.

Lore
Shas

Post#29 » Feb 01 2018 02:56

A standard firewarrior with an XV15 jump pack and a pulse pistol, is a nice idea but the XV15's pack is pretty bulky.
Maybe I could craft a smaller pack, perhaps based on a drone since Ethereals use them as hover drones. Maybe not a backpack but a little PA-drone that can be stood on and provide limited flight akin to a grav-chute or similar.

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Feb 01 2018 04:19

Heck take a drone top (Which is all a hover drone is) and have the pilot on there! cut a clear stick to length and voila! Hover drone rescue for the pilot!

Lore
Shas

Post#31 » Feb 10 2018 12:19

Still here and working slowly.
Here's the in progress pilot standing on a micro-drone & more development of Enforcer lower leg armour:

Need to sort her head arms and skirt next.

Zeruel
Shas

Post#32 » Feb 10 2018 02:41

I like the idea of the mini drone platform, but now you don't have reason to have the pilot body with that inclination, and aslo the left leg, better to me kneeled on the drone!

Return to “Modelling”