seated command suit

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Lore
Shas

seated command suit

Post#1 » Jan 06 2018 03:34

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/306385580892303487/

I can't afford photobucket prices, its that or my army, hope this works.
Above is a link to my warhammer conversions pintrest board, hopefully it works.
It shows my WIP on a seated command suit, comments?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: seated command suit

Post#2 » Jan 06 2018 04:04

Why not use imgur? It's free, and anyone can see it! I think you need an account to view Pinterest pictures.

Lore
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 06 2018 05:01

Does this work? Sorry all this experimenting but last time I was active on boards Photobucket cost nothing. :?
Last edited by Lore on Jan 06 2018 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 06 2018 05:06

I like it! Especially the fan and whatever the dead drone in front is supposed to be!

I might have put the left arm (the one crossed in front) down and resting with the hand on the knee. Looking forward to seeing it as you progress

EDIT: was beat to the imgur punch

Lore
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 06 2018 05:27

I wanted some space between the hand and the 'communication - up link device - upside down grav drone bit' as mounting yellow UV active stressed and meths swabbed 1.6mm rod between these to give the idea of an Ironman style 'repulsor beam', the longer it is the better the glowing cracks will show. At least that's the plan.
Repost when I get his head, jets and attachments sorted. He'll probably get back banners and a couple of accessory figures too - spare ethereal from started pack is too cheep on ebay to bother selling. :smile:

Zeruel
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 06 2018 06:14

Mmm.. I don't understand the pose IMO, don't feel bad but I think that Tau battlesuit are not designed to sit down. They are war machines and they are designed to combact, fly, shot, walk, but i think not to sit down. I understand the link with the samurai Shogun seated pose, but in this way I think it is a little bit forced. However this is only my point of view! :smile:

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 06 2018 06:25

Beautiful model, and very Japanese! A back banner would really complete the image. Great work and I look forward to seeing more of model as you finish it up!

And by the way, if you do this...

Code: Select all

[img]     [/img]

...around the imgur BBCode share link, you can embed that picture right into the thread!

Onos
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 06 2018 06:55

Not so bad Lore, I like the reminescence to Samurai commander. A tip I want to give you is a small conversion to the knees, try to move them a little bit behind, now the position seems to be not so natural, retracting the knees your commander could be more real. In the meanwhile I was typing I've thought to another thing: move the chest not in vertical but with a small angle foreward, if you look to the Shogun images on google you can see that they are all folded foreward.

OnIn - Onos Industries

Lore
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 06 2018 11:00

Thanx for comments and advice so far, here is today's work, cut short as loss of power to shed & very cold without a heater. Added the jets & converted basic head, comments re head before I putty fill would be appreciated.
Yellow acrylic rod arrived today, left in shot so you get the idea.
Will check knees & forward folding tomorrow.
Last edited by Lore on Jan 06 2018 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jan 06 2018 11:53

Lore wrote:Thanx for comments and advice so far, here is today's work, cut short as loss of power to shed & very cold without a heater. Added the jets & converted basic head, comments re head before I putty fill would be appreciated.
Yellow acrylic rod arrived today, left in shot so you get the idea.
Will check knees & forward folding tomorrow.

Looks like the imgur link isn't working. Use the BBCode share link on imgur- for one of my images it would look like this:

Code: Select all

[img]https://i.imgur.com/FBq9v6e.jpg[/img]

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 06 2018 12:23

Nice work!

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:I might have put the left arm (the one crossed in front) down and resting with the hand on the knee.

Totally.

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 06 2018 03:00

That helmet is gorgeous! I'm going to steal it for my next commander suit! I might try (depending on your green stuff skill) bringing down some sides and back, so that it has a more defined shape around the head like a helmet would. I've got no experience with the putty so I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Instead of the standard Ethereal, I might model the T'au on the ground as a fire caste (sans weapon) pilot, so no helmet (or on the belt), but if you've got the right bits (I'd use pathfinder legs since I can't imagine armor is comfortable in a suit). That might add to the feeling.

But then the Honor blade Ethereal would do well too.

Lore
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 06 2018 04:44

I see my pilots wearing this:
or at most:
Obviously she'd need some rhino work and a Y slit forehead if I could afford to use Heroforge, alternatively I have a load of auxiliary Skaven i could use, maybe have a couple doing a wash & wax?

Lore
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 07 2018 11:31

OK I think I've done as suggested:
Tilted abdomen forward,
Tucked feet under thighs more,
Rested left hand on knee... How we lookin' now?

Oh and here's some imperial Skaven auxiliaries:
Tau versions would make a lot more sense.

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 07 2018 01:03

Looking good! Did you purposefully leave out the bulkier chest armor? I think it's a good choice!

Honestly I'd just go with the Pilot if you want to add more models to the base... There's not a lot of room, and I think the Skaven would clutter it a little and detract from the centerpiece, which is of course your suit. My opinion of course, so do what youthink would be coolest.

It is fantastic though! It really gives off the Samurai feeling and I am definitely going to have to steal it.

Lore
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 07 2018 05:20

I am thinking I will hinge the chest armour at the top and have it open with the pilot on being raised into it by one of her gun-drones. The drone and her firing at a few Tyranid rippers as they emerge from the sandy desert landscape. Call the whole thing 'Time to suit up...' May add an upturned low table with tea ceremony implements. Glad you like it, once this commander is done guess I'll have to do some more tedious regular troops & suits. :sad:

Gather
Shas

Post#17 » Jan 07 2018 08:30

Forgive me if it is intended but the lower leg on the Commander is backwards.

And don't forget to cut the plastic thing jutting out around the knee area -- It is only there to help people have the lower leg in a static position as shown on the box.

Lore
Shas

Post#18 » Jan 08 2018 02:26

Good catch Gather, as you can tell I'm new to Tau.
Will switch it around later in the week and see how it looks the right way around, would do it now but too dark and cold in shed and off to work soon.

Return to “Modelling”