Converting XV9s to look more "Tau"

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Converting XV9s to look more "Tau"

Post#1 » Jan 11 2018 09:04

Since there's been some discussion of XV9s this question just occurred to me- has anyone had success converting an XV9 to look more like an XV8, or at least to have more of a Tau aesthetic?

I assume this would involve switching the head out, and at least modifying the legs, knees, and shoulders?

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Converting XV9s to look more "Tau"

Post#2 » Jan 11 2018 09:14

I think they look pretty Tau already tbh, but i did put some HAZARD upper torsos on Commander Legs to give my commanders more personality, but I suppose it could work the other way around.

To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 11 2018 11:16

XV9s are fine. It's XV8s that should be converted to be more like them--stuff like the Coldstar is partly there already. ;)

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 12 2018 12:43

I've never been that keen on the XV8's design. The newer version is at least poseable but the suits look so gawky and goofy like the tow truck in the "Cars" films, IMO.

I far prefer the XV9's which look like they want to shoot you rather than sing kum-by-yar and toast marshmallows round the campfire with you.

:roll:

...but then again, maybe that's what the Greater Good is all about??

Lore
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 13 2018 04:14

There are the new models:
http://www.wargameexclusive.com/product-category/greater-good/
Which are clearly XV9s, I just wish I had an idea how tall they are?

gunrock
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 13 2018 04:50

I'm actually considering the opposite conversion of this. I have some extra un-assembled XV-8's and a bunch of burst cannons. I don't totally hate the XV-9 design, but there are definitely some things about it that bother me. Those knees look... suggestive, and that head always looked like a crisis suit with.... issues. In general I think under mounting large weapons underarm looks really awkward and edward-scissor-hande-sque, so pretty universally put my hard points sidearm and on the top of the thrusters. The one feature that I really like on the model is the back engine design which there's not really a good way to emulate on an XV-8. I'm tempted just to take some spare drone parts and make double-burst cannon mounts and throw some of the extra fins from the commander set onto the tops of the XV-8 engines and call it a day. It would also be nice if I could just swap magnetizable parts and just convert XV-8 to XV-9 in the instances where I need them.

If anyone has any other thoughts or examples of good conversions I'm interested.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Return to “Modelling”