XV8 Crisis Magnetising

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Nitrogue
Shas

XV8 Crisis Magnetising

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 05:19

Hi

Pretty new to all of this, but can see the worth of magnetising the different loadout options for the crisis suits from the start collecting set. Would allow me to experiment with different builds as i find my feet, and things might change with a fluid index and unreleased codex.

Just wondering whether people have done this with their XV8s (guessing yes) and how they positioned the weapons/magnets. My currently look using blu-tac to hold the weapons in place has all the weapons fitted to the outside (away from the body of the model) of the arms, with two flamers attached on the bottom (away from the fuel canisters) so that they stick out a lot and are parallel to the ground and four fusion blasters attached to their sides so that they are perpendicular to the ground.

If i go for the flamer option for all the weapons, i would have to worry about having a left/right side guns but not sure how odd it would look having some of the other guns pointing straight out of the arm. A variation of this would be to fit the weapons to the underside of the arm, tsimilar to the XV25 stealth suits i believe.. Again not sure how this would look. The current fusion blaster setup looks a bit less odd, but would need to decide which side the weapon would be fitted on, unless i make the guns have magnets on all the same side and then have weapons pointed one way on one sside and the opposite way on the other side.

Will try and get some picturees to explain this better.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: XV8 Crisis Magnetising

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 09:22

I magnetize my suits in 4 places. Once on the outside of each arm and then on the slots in top of the thrusters. They are sort of the traditional crisis suit mounting locations for weapons.

I have found that with just one magnet the weapon can rotate around the magnet. So I use two magnets. One is an 1/8" in diameter and one is 1/16" in diameter and put them in a line. That way the 1/8" diameter magnet provides the bulk of the force required to hold the weapon to the arm and the 1/16" magnets align the weapon. Ideally it would be two 1/8" magnets but on crisis suits I just don't think there's enough room. It's hard enough to fit the 1/8" and 1/16" magnets.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

steelmanf
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 16 2018 09:54

Draaen wrote:I magnetize my suits in 4 places. Once on the outside of each arm and then on the slots in top of the thrusters. They are sort of the traditional crisis suit mounting locations for weapons.

Exactly this. Then, in regards to where to mount the magnets on the weapons, I just put them all in the (admittedly narrow) top of each of the weapons, much like I believe you did with your flamers, so the bottoms of the guns on the arms stick out away from the body. Any guns mounted on the shoulders will have the bottom of the weapon oriented upwards away from the body. I personally think this looks ok, and more importantly means any weapon will fit anywhere, as long as you keep the magnet's poles oriented properly. That makes sense? I can provide any pics you like if it helps. Also did Ghostkeel.

I didn't really find the need to put 2 magnets per slot like Draaen suggested, as I rather like that they can swivel a bit.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 16 2018 10:06

steelmanf wrote:In regards to where to mount the magnets on the weapons, I just put them all in the (admittedly narrow) top of each of the weapons, much like I believe you did with your flamers, so the bottoms of the guns on the arms stick out away from the body. Any guns mounted on the shoulders will have the bottom of the weapon oriented upwards away from the body. I personally think this looks ok, and more importantly means any weapon will fit anywhere, as long as you keep the magnet's poles oriented properly.

Most people mount the weapons with magnets in the side, but this method works too. I'll mention that, if you want to keep all the magnets in the same place, it may be best to make the guns "underslung" beneath the arms, rather than attaching to the sides of the arms (which may make them look "sideways"). Here's a well-known example:

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 16 2018 05:47

thanks for all of these.

will probably have a play around with them with blu-tac later this week/weekend, but at least people seem to do both options which is good to know that both work.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 17 2018 04:24

Just another quick question: do you have both magnets flush with the surface, or do you have one raise and the other recessed, almost like a proper hardpoint

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 17 2018 05:50

Nitrogue wrote:Just another quick question: do you have both magnets flush with the surface, or do you have one raise and the other recessed, almost like a proper hardpoint

Making them flush is the easiest way. Making a male-female hardpoint is very stable, but I'd say it's probably overkill.

Some people go crazy and add a pin though to stop the weapon from rotating, which is clever.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 17 2018 06:52

Arka0415 wrote:
Nitrogue wrote:Just another quick question: do you have both magnets flush with the surface, or do you have one raise and the other recessed, almost like a proper hardpoint

Making them flush is the easiest way. Making a male-female hardpoint is very stable, but I'd say it's probably overkill.

Some people go crazy and add a pin though to stop the weapon from rotating, which is clever.

that was what i was thinking.

flush is flush, cant go too wrong with that, but trying to make a M-F conenction, need to get the right depths on all of them

interesting idea with the pin, might think about that if i have rotation problems

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 17 2018 10:07

I superglue one magnet in the suit first (usually the arm), when the bond is dry I then flip another magnet on to it and then dry fit the weapon on it, sliding the weapon off with the magnet in it and as soon as you can see the magnet holding it in place with a finger nail. Then fill the hole with the magnet with super glue.
I do this with all weapons that will go on that side of the suit, then do the reverse thing with the magnet in the jetpack on that side (so using a weapon with the other magnet flipped on to it and dry-fitting it on the jetpack and sliding the weapon off, keeping the magnet in place in the jetpack)
That way I have all the weapons with the correct polarity on one side of the suit. If you pick one weapon and move to the next suit than all weapons are interchangeable across all the suits so no need to figure out which weapon belongs to which suit due to a reversed polarity.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 17 2018 10:24

Nitrogue wrote:flush is flush, cant go too wrong with that, but trying to make a M-F conenction, need to get the right depths on all of them

So one thing I do to make getting the magnets flush easier is I drill a smaller pilot hole (1/16" dia) then I drill my full magnet hole (1/8" dia). I make sure the 1/16" hole goes deeper than the 1/8" hole and ideally drills right through the side wall of the model so that the cavity inside is exposed. I take a small ball of grey stuff and put it into the hole. I'll then press the magnet into the socket. The grey stuff will conform to the magnet and any excess goes down the 1/16" hole making it really easy to put down something flat and non magnetic to get the magnet flush with your part. Sometimes the magnet will pop out later but you have already molded a perfect socket so if you put a dab of super glue in there and replace the magnet it will stay flush and won't fall out again. It's a pretty easy method to get good consistent results when you are used to it.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 17 2018 10:35

good tips there, might need to see about getting some green stuff then, just in case.

Fully intending on swapping weapons between models, so the "using existing fixed magnets" might be a good way to make sure nothing goes awry.

Return to “Modelling”