Alternate Kroot Hound Ideas

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
DominayTrix
Shas

Alternate Kroot Hound Ideas

Post#1 » Jan 17 2018 10:51

With 8th heavily supporting the use of screen/bubblewrap units I have been giving Kroot Hounds a serious second look. Unfortunately even when they are in stock they are a whopping $25 for 4 models which makes them pricey. Anyone have any pictures or ideas for alternate kroot hounds? So far all I know of is AoS Crypt Ghouls + Kroot Heads, which comes out to $40 + the cost of kroot heads. I have heard Gryph-Hounds and Dire wolves can also be used, but they seem way less "krooty" and would take more greenstuff time to do.

Links:
Crypt Ghouls: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Fl ... ypt-Ghouls
Grph-hounds: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/St ... ounds-2017
Dire Wolves: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Va ... ire-Wolves

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Alternate Kroot Hound Ideas

Post#2 » Jan 17 2018 11:25

All of those would be difficult conversions I think if you want to make them really Kroot-y. I mean, Hounds are nice, but given the price of the real model and the difficulty of converting your own, I feel like regular Kroot Carnivores would do just as well in the role.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 18 2018 03:40

Have the same problem.

If you paint them right, the Dire Wolves could work - I think.
Their mane could be painted like Kroot stings.

Cheapest alternative I have seen till now and I think I give them a try.

My plan was, to use little packs of Kroothounds (4 for just 16 points) to prevent deep striking.
Using Kroot Carnivores instead would be much more expensive pointwise.

:fear:

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 18 2018 04:21

I used chaos hounds and didn't attach the tails or the horns. Once painted in my Kroot colour scheme they look really good. and at £15.50 for 10, and also being a GW model I have never had a problem with them. (they even came with round bases at the time because they could be used in a demons army.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Warhounds

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 18 2018 04:29

Shas'O Ora wrote:My plan was, to use little packs of Kroothounds (4 for just 16 points) to prevent deep striking.
Using Kroot Carnivores instead would be much more expensive pointwise.

Replacing the exact role would be much more expensive- if you used Kroot Carnivores they'd be as an all-rounder screening/flanking force, not just as deep-strike blocking chaff. If you only need the one-turn deep strike blocking though, yeah, Hounds would be much better.

Cgreeves wrote:I used chaos hounds and didn't attach the tails or the horns. Once painted in my Kroot colour scheme they look really good. and at £15.50 for 10, and also being a GW model I have never had a problem with them. (they even came with round bases at the time because they could be used in a demons army.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Chaos-Warhounds

Wow, those are great-looking models! I don't think it'd take much work to make Kroot Hounds out of them, and they're cheap too. Better than Direwolves I think.

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 18 2018 04:31

Arka0415 wrote:Wow, those are great-looking models! I don't think it'd take much work to make Kroot Hounds out of them, and they're cheap too. Better than Direwolves I think.

I'm at work just now and don't have any pictures of them on my phone but once I get home I'll post some pictures here. I think they work really well.

demurr
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 18 2018 05:38

It's just me but I really don't like the whole kroot look. So if I was to add kroot hounds to my army list, that would most likely be some sort of a low-flying melee drone conversion. Although I havent decided what kind of a HTH weapon could they be wielding. Probably some sort of a taser or something.

Shas'o Shortsight
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 18 2018 06:14

The cold ones of saurus knights could be an option.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Se ... us-Knights

Also thought about using them as Krootox.

DominayTrix
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 18 2018 06:37

This is one example crypt ghouls + kroot heads I was talking about. They don't have the same Stranger Things monster look that kroot hounds have going on, but they look like feral kroot. Its not my work, so I have no clue how much green stuff went into these.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 18 2018 09:02

Maybe/hopefully/wishfully they will make much cheaper plastic kroothounds with/after the codex drop along with all the Tau Empire races that we're to expect as we've been told Tau are getting "something big". :fear:

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 18 2018 12:43

Image[/url][/img]

Not the best pic and only very quickly painted as I don’t really like to field kroot (I also don’t like the aesthetic)

DominayTrix
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 18 2018 09:44

Cgreeves wrote:Image[/url][/img]

Not the best pic and only very quickly painted as I don’t really like to field kroot (I also don’t like the aesthetic)

Do you have a non-photobucket link? I'm having troubles seeing it :sad:

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 19 2018 02:58

DominayTrix wrote:

Do you have a non-photobucket link? I'm having troubles seeing it :sad:[/quote]

It was working and now it isn’t :( does anyone know a better way to share photos? Can i do it from my Dropbox?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#14 » Jan 19 2018 03:22

Cgreeves wrote:It was working and now it isn’t :( does anyone know a better way to share photos? Can i do it from my Dropbox?

Imgur is by far the easiest way. Check it out! :biggrin:

Strawless
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 19 2018 03:32

Here's 20 minutes on the Chaos Hound concept:

Obviously needs sanding down and adding teeth, but looks fine to me otherwise! Although real Kroot Hounds don't have hair..

What do you think?

DominayTrix
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 19 2018 06:37

Strawless wrote:Here's 20 minutes on the Chaos Hound concept:

Obviously needs sanding down and adding teeth, but looks fine to me otherwise! Although real Kroot Hounds don't have hair..

What do you think?

I think I prefer them with hair tbh. Makes them look more like hounds then the derpy alien dogs from Stranger Things. If you keep the fur you could always give them little green stuff beads like some kroot have in their hair/plumage/tentacles.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 19 2018 08:17

The mane of hair could be painted to look like feathers, seeing as they are evolved from avians

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#18 » Jan 19 2018 05:35

I know you can’t see my picture, but once painted the hair looks like the spines on the back of a kroot head.

Return to “Modelling”