Riptide sized flamer

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Riptide sized flamer

Post#1 » Jan 23 2018 03:54

A set of the 3d parts I sculpted for Red Dog Minis. Tsunami heavy flamethrower & a dual barrel blaster.

Test fit using sticky-tac, I will be equipping it with magnets for swapability.

Smeik
Shas

Re: Riptide sized flamer

Post#2 » Jan 23 2018 04:03

wow, i love these! But I always wondered how do you sculpt such small geometrical shapes? especially the small crevices and lines ? do you have some kind of stamp?
You win in battles with the timing in the Void born of the timing of cunning by knowing the enemies' timing - Musashi

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 23 2018 04:28

I do most of my more recent sculpting in a 3d program now because it offers a high level of precision that's very hard to match by hand. (but not impossible) I did a lot of hand sculpted stuff for years so that helps develop the artistic eye which carries through in almost every aspect of modelling and there are lots of tricks to doing very precise stuff by hand.

For doing straight lines on styrene sheet plastic you can get a scribe tool which is sort of like a dentist pick that carves a very precise groove into the plastic, then you can use a metal straight edge or T-square to make sure it's completely straight and goes where you want it. It also helps to do things in multiple passes, do a very light scribe on the first pass to make sure everything is lined up correctly then do additional passes to deepen the details. I mark out the cuts in pencil or marker first to serve as a guideline, using a mechanical pencil or very fine tip drafting pen. Micro Mark carries a huge array of special hobby tools for this type of stuff. They also have miniature sized miter boxes for sawing and cutting straight lines and angles (as well as miniature band saws and all sorts of punch and die tools). For doing rounded shapes you can get small metal templates that are like a french curve.

Search Hobby Link Japan for "model detail kits" or "mold detail" by kotobukiya, there's all sorts of great detailing parts for mechanical shapes and several other companies make stuff for vents and rivets etc. Some of it is plastic, some is etched brass or resin. You can also make stamps using all sorts of small tubes or little bits of plastic or metal that you cut to shape then press into putty or greenstuff to replicate the details. The tip of a mechanical pencil or brass tube works great for making round rivets shapes or if you sharpen the edges you can use it to punch thin rivet heads out of styrene.

Check out the Star Ship Modeler website and forum, there's a huge wealth of knowledge for scratch building models by hand. Also the Verlinden series of books are a fantastic how to modelling guide and light years ahead of what we typically see with gaming models. Doing stuff with 3d computer modelling makes certain things easier but it's not a cure-all, I still do plenty of scratch building by hand on my personal projects as I find a certain familiarity and comfort when doing it as it's something I've been toying with for 25-30 years. The computer designed stuff is certainly an interesting and powerful tool but it has a very different feel for me that doesn't quite match the experience of hands on modelling.

Smeik
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 23 2018 04:47

Thanks for the quick Response. I will definitely Check all the Stuff out you mentioned. So by referring 3d modelling you also talk 3d Printing?
You win in battles with the timing in the Void born of the timing of cunning by knowing the enemies' timing - Musashi

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 23 2018 07:10

amazing work! :eek:

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 23 2018 02:54

Smeik wrote:So by referring 3d modelling you also talk 3d Printing?

Yes I design the model in a 3d CAD program, then I have it 3d printed to make the physical model.

K'Pokk wrote:amazing work! :eek:

Thank You :)

shadowsong47
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 28 2018 09:41

Big fan of your work! Always have been! All my suits are rocking your CIB's both old and new style. I hope you make some fusion blades (if the codex brings them back that is). I'm going to be grabbing the flamer along with some crisis heads soon!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 28 2018 10:13

Really beautiful work!

Let me ask a bit of an irrelevant question though- I love the pose on that Riptide, it looks much more dynamic than GW's official poses- did you make any modifications to make that pose possible? Or can you do it straight out of the box?

GARBLED_COMMS
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 29 2018 10:54

Arka0415 wrote: Or can you do it straight out of the box?

There are pins in the joints that can be removed so you can pose it differently.

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 31 2018 06:36

As mentioned above you can remove the pins to alter the stock pose. I didn't make any other modifications besides adding a round base instead of the stock oval base. A while back I bought several of the 120mm bases from the Privateer Press website, Proxie Models also makes round 120mm base.

Adjusting the tilt of the torso make a big difference in how dynamic the model looks and you can try different poses if you get some sticky-tac or poster tac/putty to test fit parts before you do the final gluing. When the Riptide first released I really didn't care for it due to the goofy crouched pose, I decided to repose it and it was like finding a whole new model and it's since become one of my favorite Tau models.

Here's a shot of the resin casts. Magents added so they can be switched out with other weapons.

Return to “Modelling”