Tau in the Jungle (Compilation of the ideas so far...)

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
kubermann
Shas

Tau in the Jungle (Compilation of the ideas so far...)

Post#1 » Jan 26 2018 12:41

Hi, I've been wondering about colour scheme for my Tau army and I wanted to make it look that whoever will look at them will immediately get the "jungle vibe". I've seen many paint schemes that were jungle-ish, but those were entirely green. I'm looking for green to be a main colour with a splash of something else. The colours I've used so far are red and grey, though a lot of people say grey would be better as red would make it "too Christmas-y". So far I've been throwing the colours at the Fire Warrior at the Bolter and Chainsword painter and so far, I've got this: https://imgur.com/a/EkPvv (my idea) and this: http://bit.ly/2BpLx7c (from RusherZero on reddit). The shade of green I'm looking for could be a bit deeper, but for idea purpose it's okay. The teal was slapped on to stand out (doesn’t feel right for me either), but I’ve heard that yellow would be much better. The white bits on the gun and hands and feet are white because I had no idea how to approach with the colours to match with the armour, though I was thinking of the gun barrel to have simple light grey/gunmetal with a delicate glaze of Guilliman Blue to give off the “alien metal vibe”. As for the bases, if you have the Citadel Paint app (for reference and to see exactly what I want, if not check the links below) they have “paint bases” section, which have bases I’ve been thinking on using without using shades/colours provided there (Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade) and to use other ones (like Athonian Camoshade, Coelia Greenshade, glaze of Waywatcher Green or Biel-Tan Green) and finish them with a drybrush of (for example) Dawnstone or Niblet Green instead of Tyrant Skull. And to accommodate the idea with the “wetness” use the bases like: Wet Mud Urban Debris Mud Wasteland Blighted Tundra Urban Overgrowth with swapping the colours mentioned above to provide the “jungle-ish vibe” I’m going for, with either the effect of “wet mud in the jungle” or “overgrown ruins” bases ALSO: I’m not planning on doing the camo patterns on anything small and for now in general as I don’t have enough experience to do so. So, any comments, suggestions, ideas?

LINKS Tau model colour ideas (https://imgur.com/a/kMdas) Tau model bases ideas (https://imgur.com/a/Bed1C)

REDDIT POSTS (for all the brainstorm so far): https://redd.it/7s0p01 https://redd.it/7s0p0j https://redd.it/7s0p14 https://redd.it/7s0p1i

khayman
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau in the Jungle (Compilation of the ideas so far...)

Post#2 » Jan 26 2018 01:47

This one's easily the best jungle scheme I've seen and if I'm not horribly mistaken this is from GW's How To Paint Citadel Miniatures - Tau Empire ebook. I have that around somewhere if you're interested in the recipe suggested.

kubermann
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 26 2018 02:20

Absolutely! Looks amazing and very detailed. For now i'm too inexperienced to do to intricate little details, but great idea nonetheless!

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 26 2018 02:26

The armour parts are basecoated with Caliban Green, highlighted by Warpstone Glow and further highlighted (corners only, see corner of the weapon) with Moot Green.

The cloth is basecoated with Deathworld Forest, washed with Athonian Camoshade (really awesome wash but go light with it) and heavily layered and highlighted (or, combined in one step, drybrushed) with Ogryn Camo.

The blue markings are basecoated with Stegadon Scale Green and then just paint Sotek Green on top of it.

kubermann
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 26 2018 05:16

The colours you mentioned are the one I'm currently considering. The cloth ones sounds interesting so I'll definitely have a look at them. The blues looks great too, so it might be something to consider for the future

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 27 2018 06:47

If you want a jungle paint scheme, I think it's important to note that despite their bright colours, jungles are low lighting environments thanks to the tree canopy that prevents the majority of sunlight reaching the ground. Therefore, riffing off of your first colour scheme, I chose a muted grey-green for the armour, a yellowish brown I find reminiscent of thick wet mud, and a complimentary bright yellow for the sept markings, which adds back a little of that bright colour we find in a jungle.

Now, I'm about to steal what is probably the most famous phrase on this forum. What do you think?
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

W:6 L:4 D:2

Membership Guidelines

kubermann
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 27 2018 08:19

Come to think of it, I never thought of that this way. I was thinking of something "jungly" with strong colours, but now to think of it, strong colours would stand out, and that would be a little bad for the guys who were to hide in the bushes, but given that sometimes the warfare is unpredictable, they might end up somewhere where the tone of colours doesn't matter. Nevertheless, I got some more stuff to think about. Thanks

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 27 2018 08:35

Perhaps a compromise solution could be a considerably darker version of the green and khaki scheme photographed? As I understand it good camouflage in low-light conditions is typically something that matches the natural colours of the background environment - consider that (contrary to popular depiction) the common night-time camouflage uniform of Shinobi was supposedly dark blue rather than black to better blend in with the very dark blue night sky.

Going by that reasoning, it would make sense to use very very dark greens and browns for effective camouflage in low-light jungle environments (provided of course that the jungles on the planet your cadre is fighting on are primarily populated with green foliage). Indeed, it just so happens that you can find an excellent example of such dark green camouflage occurring in nature with my online namesake the Kakapo, which has adapted dark green plumage for precisely this reason (admittedly it is more of a forest dwelling parrot than a jungle one, but the principle should still hold true).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 27 2018 10:19

kubermann wrote:Come to think of it, I never thought of that this way. I was thinking of something "jungly" with strong colours, but now to think of it, strong colours would stand out, and that would be a little bad for the guys who were to hide in the bushes, but given that sometimes the warfare is unpredictable, they might end up somewhere where the tone of colours doesn't matter. Nevertheless, I got some more stuff to think about. Thanks

Brighter colors do serve the practical purpose of helping units stand out on the tabletop and making them easier to identify at a glance. ;)

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 27 2018 02:31

R.D. wrote:
kubermann wrote:Come to think of it, I never thought of that this way. I was thinking of something "jungly" with strong colours, but now to think of it, strong colours would stand out, and that would be a little bad for the guys who were to hide in the bushes, but given that sometimes the warfare is unpredictable, they might end up somewhere where the tone of colours doesn't matter. Nevertheless, I got some more stuff to think about. Thanks

Brighter colors do serve the practical purpose of helping units stand out on the tabletop and making them easier to identify at a glance. ;)

Exactly. You have to remember that we're not going for absolute realism when painting tabletop models. If we were, you would barely ever see things like edge highlighting. This is also why candy red, pure black or fully metallic models end up looking like an undefined blob when looked from a reasonable distance. You have to be willing to make the compromise of moving away from realism to what passes as realism, and this is an important distinction.

In the example of pure black models, for instance, even though the realistic thing would be to paint them pure black, what works best is to paint them a dark shade of grey. This allows for shading, a base colour and highlights, so, three dimensions. Given that you can't shade pure black, going with pure black would make you forgo an entire dimension and so, in trying to be realistic, you end up with a less realistic model.

Moreover, you have to consider that in any painting, miniature or otherwise, there will usually be an area that stands out, where the painter wants the viewer to focus on. This will usually be faces but can also be a weapon or a jewel or, in fantasy/sci-fi settings, a magical or futiristic item. This is most usually achieved by one type of contrast. There are many kinds of contrasts :

- Tonal contrast : dark vs light
- Temperature contrast : warm vs cold
- Saturation contrast : intense vs dull
- Surface contrast : matte vs shiny (metallics are a good example in miniature, glossy gems as well)

and that's just some of them.

This exact principle of exploiting contrast to make something stand out is unwanted when discussing about stealth/camouflaged units though. When you're trying to hide, you want nothing to stand out. This works fine in the real world but would make for terrible miniatures. So, again, you don't *really* want realism, you want the artistic representation thereof, i.e. a balance between what looks good and what looks realistic.

Finally, one thing you really might want to consider is this. If your Breachers are painted in stealthy colours, how would you then represent your Pathfinders or Stealth Suits? You don't need to have all your units painted as if they're trying to fight as stealthy jungle fighters, just your stealthy units will do.

kubermann
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 27 2018 04:55

@R.D. @khayman

Both of you have good points, so I thought that perhaps rather than focusing solely on one type of green I can do something similar to what I did to my SM army - use two very similar schemes to use on different types of units. The one with rich, bold colours could be used on main battleline units (Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits, etc.) while toned down can be used in the units like Pathfinders or Stealth suits. This way, I believe I can achieve two different results without going too much either way and trying to keep it balanced. Is that, more or less, what you have in mind?

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jan 27 2018 08:42

kubermann wrote:@R.D. @khayman

Both of you have good points, so I thought that perhaps rather than focusing solely on one type of green I can do something similar to what I did to my SM army - use two very similar schemes to use on different types of units. The one with rich, bold colours could be used on main battleline units (Fire Warriors, Crisis Suits, etc.) while toned down can be used in the units like Pathfinders or Stealth suits. This way, I believe I can achieve two different results without going too much either way and trying to keep it balanced. Is that, more or less, what you have in mind?

I do a similar thing, painting my 'stealth' units like the stealthsuits and Ghostkeels black, but edge highlighting them red (a sort of brotherhood of Nod look if you know what I mean) and silver/white for the metal parts. You still need to be able to tell, say, what they're armed with at a glance, and that way you can show off poses and whatnot. So dark/muted can work, you just need a bit of contrast--on the base at least if nothing else, ideally.

kubermann
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 28 2018 10:48

I see what you mean. Now trying to take all the stuff so far, I think that the best cours of action will be to perhaps to find a common theme (like same colours of the soft armour and weapons), and then use a toned colours that match with the soft armour for the stealthy units with bright, strong colours for the main units. Sounds about right?

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jan 28 2018 06:31

kubermann wrote:I see what you mean. Now trying to take all the stuff so far, I think that the best cours of action will be to perhaps to find a common theme (like same colours of the soft armour and weapons), and then use a toned colours that match with the soft armour for the stealthy units with bright, strong colours for the main units. Sounds about right?

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. One thing to keep in mind is, think about your battlesuits and vehicles as well, Devilfish in particular. If you're going to paint them in a more muted scheme, are you going to paint their Devilfish in a matching scheme as well? If you do, will the scheme you've chosen look good on the Devilfish? You can extend this train of thought to infiltrator type suits as well, Stealth Suits and the Ghostkeel in particular. Do they get the same scheme?

One last thing that might prove to be a complication is the Kroot units. They're jungle fighting troops by default so what are you planning to do with them?

kubermann
Shas

Post#15 » Jan 29 2018 08:14

Personally, I have never could see what does the scheme would look like when painted on the vehicles, since there aren't any vehicle painters (like the Bolter and Chainsword I've used for my Fire Warrior scheme) around, so I guess painting vehicles will be made on a trial and error basis. I'm aware it'll end up with using up some amount of paint, but unless there are some online painters (which if you're aware of, please send them my way), I'll be doing a little improv, although I think following the pattern (Main Battleline units - strong colours, Stealthy units - toned down colours) is going to fit the rest of the army so seeing I know it's "stealth force" or "main force"

EDIT: Now I've noticed you asking about Kroot units. I guess I first deal with the "pure blood" Tau units and then will start working from there. But right now, probably I'll use different shade of green (for the skin) and other colours to make them "look tribal", probably just like the Orks are being done

Return to “Modelling”