Are the Tau all right handed, and how do you show otherwise?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Nitrogue
Shas

Are the Tau all right handed, and how do you show otherwise?

Post#1 » Feb 04 2018 05:31

Hi

Aware that part of this may fit in the lore section, so this could just for the modelling part of the question.

Was trying to add a bit of variety to a batch of fire warriors, and noticed all of the gun arms are set up for right hand firing (right hand at trigger, left hand up the barrel). So was wondering if the Tau were all genetically disposed to be right handed? (I know its to make making the sprues easier, only have to do one type)

Second part is how could you show otherwise. I'm thinking with things like the XV8 crisis suits you could switch which side had the shoulder pad on, and if it had a shield generator to stick it on the right arm, but aside from that don't really know.

Thanks.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Are the Tau all right handed, and how do you show otherwise?

Post#2 » Feb 04 2018 07:15

I don't think all Tau are right handed, there is one image that I know of from the 3rd Edition Codex (pages 8-9 that shows a firewarrior firing a pulse carbine left handed. I'm not sure what the technological parallels are with modern weapons, but I have it from a left handed ex-soldier that modern longarms are all right handed (for military issue at least), and that left handed people are just taught to fire right handed. It's just a matter of cost.

The Tau may not see it that way though, so, given the example from the above link, a simple pauldron swap and probably two green stuffed arms should get you some left handed firewarriors.

As for dominant hands on a battlesuit, to my mind that would not show, as the battlesuit its self would be equally functional with either arm.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Feb 04 2018 07:26

You're right, it's definitely to simplify the design of the units. Very few 40k models have ambidextrous options.

That said, if we really go out on a limb, it's possible that Tau are trained from birth to be right-handed. In Japan today some actions are considered gauche or taboo when performed with the left hand (such as eating and handing objects to people) though this is slowly dying out. More relevant, however, is the forcing of left-handed children to use their right hands when writing, eating, or performing other basic tasks. A huge proportion, probably 80% or more, of left-handed Japanese children are forced to use their right hands. The practice is common in Japan as well as Taiwan, India, Indonesia, and other countries in Asia, as well as in the United States (historically).

If we assume that Tau are modeled on east Asian cultures, there might, might, be a possibility that Tau parents and schools force children and students to use their right hands.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 05 2018 07:06

Arka0415 wrote:That said, if we really go out on a limb

Oh boy, that was bad .... I like it! :D

Arka0415 wrote: it's possible that Tau are trained from birth to be right-handed... More relevant, however, is the forcing of left-handed children to use their right hands when writing, eating, or performing other basic tasks. A huge proportion, probably 80% or more, of left-handed Japanese children are forced to use their right hands. The practice is common in Japan as well as Taiwan, India, Indonesia, and other countries in Asia, as well as in the United States (historically).

Interesting to know. I believe medieval England (tudor times etc) did something similar, with left hands tied behind their backs to force use of right hand. Sign of the devil and all that.

Ironsky wrote: I don't think all Tau are right handed, there is one image that I know of from the 3rd Edition Codex (pages 8-9 that shows a firewarrior firing a pulse carbine left handed.

Think ive seen that image as well, kind of what made think of this initially.

Ironsky wrote: I'm not sure what the technological parallels are with modern weapons, but I have it from a left handed ex-soldier that modern longarms are all right handed (for military issue at least), and that left handed people are just taught to fire right handed. It's just a matter of cost.

Interesting to know.

Ironsky wrote: The Tau may not see it that way though, so, given the example from the above link, a simple pauldron swap and probably two green stuffed arms should get you some left handed firewarriors.

As for dominant hands on a battlesuit, to my mind that would not show, as the battlesuit its self would be equally functional with either arm.

Good ideas there. While i agree battlesuits are not inherently left or right handed, their pilot's preference can come through depending on the loadou. Take the riptide and Commander Farsight models. Both have access to a shield generator, which at least in the pictures is mounted on their left arm A shield would normally be taken by the off hand, with the main weapon (cannon and dawn blade in these cases) would be taken by their main hand.

Still on the fence about the pauldrons. On one side would be good for a bit of variety , but then it would scupper a nice uniform army.

Return to “Modelling”