Magnets- when to do on timeline of painting.

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Nitrogue
Shas

Magnets- when to do on timeline of painting.

Post#1 » Feb 06 2018 03:01

So i have the stuff needed for magnetising my xv8 suits, and was wondering when would be best to drill the holes and add the magnets in relation to the timeline of painting would be: before modelling, before undercoat, before main coats, after main coats.

My personal thoughts is that its best to at least drill the holes before doing any painting, maybe even when the parts are loose, maybe also put the magnets in at that time as well. but not sure how the magnets would handle being painted, or not sure how well the glue will stick to a painted surface.

Thoughts welcome :)

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Re: Magnets- when to do on timeline of painting.

Post#2 » Feb 06 2018 03:46

I magnetised my suits once assembled but before spraying, however I was a little cautious about potentially snapping the arms off the models :) but I think the general consensus is to do it pre painting.

I think the most important thing to consider with magnetising is the size of magnets used and the polarity.
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

gunrock
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 06 2018 04:05

I did mine after assembly, and post priming, and post base coats. Also, I do base magnetization post-priming. Some people like to do them earlier while you have the model in sub assembly so you can drill without potentially snapping off an arm. I haven't found this to be a huge issue, with a power drill you can actually drill with very little pressure compared to using an auger. I wouldn't do it pre-prime because I don't like there being paint on the magnets, but any point after that seems fine.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

akaron79
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 06 2018 05:27

I do not think that paints affect so much to the magnet. I also prefer to make holes and fix magnets just after assembly (or partial assembly for big models) and before priming. Anyway, you can always use tape mask to prevent magnets from being painted.

My holes are not always as perfect as I want, so priming such minor parts of the magnets staying out of the holes helps somehow... On the other hand, it is good to see how the mini will finally look as a whole (you want weapons to stay parallel and so) before completely attaching magnets to holes.

So just after assembly seems to me the perfect timing.

Be carefull with polarity even from model to model in order to avoid weapons being doomed to be used on just one mini.

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 06 2018 05:42

I did mine before any paint and during assembly. E.i. held one of the arms in place with blu tack, checked where to drill the hole, removed the arm, drilled, plunked a magnet in. Then did the same with the weapon. If you glue the entire model before you drill, you might snap something if you put too much preassure on. After a while you'll get a feel for it and you'll pick up the pace and do less drilling errors.

Also, at the beginning keep one weapon (pref. one that stands out like the AFP from commander kit) as a polarity "key". Each time you add a magnet to the suit: first attatch it to the weapon, put a dot with a marker on the visible side of the magnet, that side is in. That way all of your weapons will fit all of the hard points :) other way around for the weapons.

When you've magnetized a broadside with all weapon options you have passed your first Trial by Fire and you'll get promoted to Magnet'ui :D

Happy magnetizing :biggrin:

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 06 2018 10:01

So Magnetizing a Riptide promotes you to ‘Vre? :biggrin:

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 06 2018 10:34

Ifrit wrote:So Magnetizing a Riptide promotes you to ‘Vre? :biggrin:

Magnetizing an XV8 gets you to Magnet'la, and it goes up from there, magnetizing Broadsides, Riptides, Stormsurges... but only magnetizing Strike Teams promotes you to Magnet'o :D

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 06 2018 11:20

Arka0415 wrote:
Ifrit wrote:So Magnetizing a Riptide promotes you to ‘Vre? :biggrin:

Magnetizing an XV8 gets you to Magnet'la, and it goes up from there, magnetizing Broadsides, Riptides, Stormsurges... but only magnetizing Strike Teams promotes you to Magnet'o :D

I magnetized a strike team! Granted it was just the left arm for everyone but the shas'ui who got both arms magnetized.

szeszej
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 07 2018 01:27

Actually I didn't know the left arm is the same for all weapons, so I magnetized both arms of my 30 fire warriors ;) (same with pathfinders but they at least have various weapon options)

ErSe0831
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 07 2018 03:46

szeszej wrote:Actually I didn't know the left arm is the same for all weapons, so I magnetized both arms of my 30 fire warriors ;) (same with pathfinders but they at least have various weapon options)

szeszej = Magnet'O confirmed :D ;)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Feb 07 2018 05:17

Best time to magnetise is during assembly, as soon as you have the surface you want to magnetise complete. So for arms, you want to magnetise before you put them on the model, so you can drill and put the magnets in while they're against a flat surface

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 07 2018 05:55

Thanks for all of these. Looks like the general concensus is that its probably best during assembly, when bits are loose, but to bear in mind where things will be in the final model.

Kind of a bummer at the moment as currently trying magnetise 6 XV8s, all assembled and three primed. But hey, wanted the models up to be able to play games, and had to wait a while for pin vice to turn up, so i know for the future.

One other difficulty im now finding is that access can be difficult on a fully made model. Looking at doing underslung weapons for the suits (so i don't have to worry about a left and right side weapons) but there are a few arms where that side is blocked by the base. :(. Guess i could do the side of the arm, but not sure how odd that may look.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Feb 07 2018 06:35

Nitrogue wrote:Kind of a bummer at the moment as currently trying magnetise 6 XV8s, all assembled and three primed. But hey, wanted the models up to be able to play games, and had to wait a while for pin vice to turn up, so i know for the future.

You can definitely still magnetize. It won't be quite as easy as if the models were unassembled, but it's definitely still possible!

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#14 » Feb 07 2018 07:38

Arka0415 wrote:
Nitrogue wrote:Kind of a bummer at the moment as currently trying magnetise 6 XV8s, all assembled and three primed. But hey, wanted the models up to be able to play games, and had to wait a while for pin vice to turn up, so i know for the future.

You can definitely still magnetize. It won't be quite as easy as if the models were unassembled, but it's definitely still possible!

Oh yeah, can still magnetise, kind of knew that it would be harder once built, but as i said wanted the models up to start playing. Again, now know for next time.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Feb 07 2018 07:47

I have finally decided that 3mm diametre x 1mm are the way to go, strong, not fiddly and not too big.

I was doing some magnetising myself last night. Just Crisis suits currently, not much left to do now, just half of the weapons really!

It's kind of dull, but not nearly as stressful as you'd think once you've decided on a standard.

szeszej
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Feb 07 2018 07:50

It's better to also get some bigger magnets - 3x1 ones are not nearly strong enough to hold e.g. Hammerhead cannons or Broadside main weapons. I'm currently in the process of assembling my Riptide, but the main gun also looks really heavy. However, 3x1 are perfect for everything else I've magnitized so far (infantry, stealth suits, ghostkeel, crisis, commanders)

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#17 » Feb 07 2018 11:10

Currently using 3x1mm magnets for the crisis suits. they just about fit where the orginal weapon connection was, did just skim outside the edge of a flamer which i was practising on last night. Just need to get better at centring the drill bit at the start.I agree it does seem a tad dull at times, but the greatness of being able to swap weapon loadouts on the fly needs to be offset by something :).

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Feb 07 2018 02:30

I magnetise mine right from the sprue, also I do not care about polarity at all with small arms (XV8, commanders) as I am using steel plates on the weapons instead of magnets, its much easier and the connection with N52 magnets is good, you can find the needed steel in beer cans if you look around, got mine from imported german beer Leon Steiner, but if you take small magnet with you to a shop you can try it out on spot

I use 3x2mm magnets mainly because the retailer didnt have anything smaller when I ordered it with bluestuff, but they sit well in crisis hands and jetpacs, I don't even need to drill as I file the hole out in the jetpacks before assembling them and "drill" the hole in hands with the end of a flat file by putting it into the slot and spinning it

also magnetising with steel saves you magnets which you can use for bases so you can transport your miniatures more safely

Return to “Modelling”