Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post#1 » Jan 15 2008 01:04

After looking at all those cool suits with this contest going on, I wanted to show what I have accomplished (in like half a year? :smile: ) This hasn't got anyting to do with the contest, just to make sure you know.

Well, here it is (front part still needs finishing touch):

That white thing is supposed to turn into a backpack. Won't be touching that for a while since it won't be for this suit. Thus far this suit has had 4 or 5 versions :P Luckily I made sure to not cut/glue anything before I was absolutely sure. Maybe I should have taken a picture of the lower part too, since it shows an attempt af making it poseable with joints (same as the right shoulder.) However, I'll be scratchbuilding another lower part, the old one makes his waist too big, in my opinion, and I don't like chopping things up unnecessary. The shoulder joints will be cut off and placed more to the back, like here http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=8097 As you can see the neck part is also inspired by that concept art. By the way, I really can't wait till jik continues building it :D !
I've decided on the color already, it's screaming to be white! My army is traditional vomit brown, but it still needs to be white. (I might be changing this opinion in the months to go :P ).

Oh, this is my first suit.

Edit: just noticed XV82 might look strange. I'll look into the naming later.
Last edited by Onmyou on Sep 02 2016 09:57, edited 5 times in total.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#2 » Jan 15 2008 02:11

nice clean work. Not sure I follow you yet but that doesn't mean much!

Keep it up!
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

The Honda Guy
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 15 2008 10:37

Cool.... me want to see more!!! :)
I AM ZIM!!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 14 2008 02:33

Tiny update.

After a lot of thinking (took more time then to actually build it :smile: ) I decided on this shape for the shoulders, still have to shape his right one. The plate is the beginning of his new hips. The older one was too broad to my liking. I still don't know how I will connect it to his upper body (the visual thing), any ideas?

Tael
Fio'O

Post#5 » Mar 14 2008 10:32

this is looking decidedly interesting.. logs in for updates..

As for torso connecting, you could review some of the BCC entries, several have some original methods.

~ Tael ;)

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#6 » May 05 2008 04:25

I'm still not sure about the connecting of the torso, but I'm sure I'll think of something nice :) And the BCC was very helpful ^^

I got the head done today (based on Mr. Cirillo's sketch):

I really like the head, ok could have been better, but it's so small! I made it this small to get rid of the 'toyish' look. I still have to fill a hole in the back of the head and the space behind the head, but after finishing the head I wasn't really in the mood for that (oh, and those panellines ofcourse. The longer I look at it the more I see unfinished things, and it's only the torso!). You may also notice some really small modifications at the lower part (left side not done yet, right side is round now) and the space under his shoulder (also in previous pic, but I didn't mention it). Both really simple modifications but it makes the suit much more 'muscled', it's also the cheapest conversion ever :P You may not notice it, but this thing consists of 8 parts which aren't glued yet, I hate it when I change my mind after I glue something. I'll have to glue the brown front to finish up that huge gap though.

Suggestions/comments anyone? :)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#7 » May 05 2008 06:44

Man thats looking good. The head positioning and structure makes him look -fast- even at a stand still. Thanks for the all the step photos, looking forward to your future solutions to the torso and chassis.

The subtle and small neck mounting is very nicely executed.

Good stuff!

~ Tael.

El'Myen
Shas

Post#8 » May 06 2008 01:26

Very good work for the moment, and yes, many thanks for the steps, it helps the ones (as me ;) ) who are not great converters and wish to have their Cirill'O suits.
Apprentice Converter

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#9 » May 06 2008 04:43

Thanks for the nice comments :)
I think I have an idea of how to connect the torso to the hips (which I still have to build). I'll make a nicely shaped tube on the hips, then I can just put the torso on that tube (a bit like the left photo). I plan on making it so that I can take off the torso without breaking something. I want to have removable parts for future use (like lights, other ideas and such). Maybe I can even make a joint of the tube, poseable torso!

Oh, I really want to share these videos. This is from RFOnline, an MMORPG. 3 Factions, one of the factions is Bellato, they use MAU (Mass Armored Unit). They really give a good crisis suit feeling (even have the right paint scheme for a T'au army :)). Before I knew of the Cirillo suits I planned on making one of these. The suit I'm making now is still based on the movements of these MAUs, so beautiful. So my suit won't have some sort of heroic pose, just plain but still a powerful look.

2 Trailers of RFOnline with MAUs in them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fktd4FbvG3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfkrgaSybs

Joe
Shas'La

Post#10 » May 06 2008 05:34

Guys,

I see a lot of images disappeared from ATT recently... whether it is due image banks cutting the ties (Imageshack and the like) or some other cause (ATT renewal) I don't know...

Would like to see these again for instance ;)

Joe
Excel Army Builder for TAU, Upper Concourse, Floor 8

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 09 2008 11:01

Here's an update.
I've finished the neck part, now it doesn't look like some hole. Also guitar wire is used. The head plus neck are still removeable and the back of the model can still be taken off.
I finished the lower part too. It's hard to see now because it's all white, but the egdes are pretty sharp, looks very cool. Next thing to do is to make a part to join them together, I'll be using a joint so it will be poseable.
I'll try to make the legs poseable too with magnets and metal balls (have to order them first), but it will take a while before I begin working on that (I know myself way too good :P).
The pose he is in right now isn't quite right, he will bend forward more, just like the Cirillo suit. Ignore the base, it's for balance purposes :P

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#12 » Aug 25 2008 12:35

The hip/torso connection is almost done. When the greenstuff is dry I can put it all together. As you can see there are four parts now, (when the greenstuff's dry) I can put them together like a puzzle without using any glue. All the parts are connected by one single joint, plus it allows the torso to rotate. Can't wait to put it together :P

dr_insanity
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 25 2008 05:17

Possibly a bit of a bizarre question... What are you using to model your suit? It looks fantastic and you've nailed the angles and curves superbly; but I can't figure out what the material is?

The white bits look like plasticard for the most part, but some bits look too thick and possibly like neoprene... but that would be too flexible.
The orange bits just plain look like carved lumps of cheese! I had a friend once carve an elephant out of a lump of hard cheese, and the likeness in appearance is incredible, but I think it's safe to assume that's not what your using?
<!-- My Karma ran over your Dogma --!>

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#14 » Aug 26 2008 02:46

Haha, cheese.. Would like to try that on some plague marines :P No, it's Tamiya Epoxy Putty. It's works like greenstuff, but it becomes harder and is sandable (thin parts can break easily). All the white stuff is plasticard, most thickness around 1mm.

Just now I tried to put the thing together, but the greenstuff let go. I thought that would happen, but the male part let go too. The joint is rubberlike and my glue doesn't seem to work on it. I'll try superglue sometime later, hope that will work. Otherwise I will have to think of something else..

xGhostx
Shas

Post#15 » Aug 28 2008 09:43

Hot glue gun might work???
Proud Sponsor of the Greater Good!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#16 » Aug 29 2008 07:17

I used superglue and it worked ^^ Well, the first time it wasn't on the right place, so I had to break it off again. I hope it will stay on it's place.

After the glue finally worked I snapped the whole thing together, it looks like this:

Next up is the legs (and the touching ups for the torso, but that can wait). I don't think those balls on the legs of the normal cisis suits fits my conversion. It feels out of place, it's my suit's biggest flaw, it's too blockish. Maybe I'll try to use balls, but they have to at least be smaller than the normal ones, they look toyish. Seems like I keep scratchbuilding on this piece :P

The Honda Guy
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 29 2008 11:55

That's looking pretty incredible there!

It seems to have an armoured core look to it. :)
I AM ZIM!!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#18 » Nov 24 2008 11:05

Almost all the holes are filled. It may seem rough, but it's really smooth. The plates on his shoulders are for mounting the arms on, will be detailed later. I may add some minor details on the front and some panellines. Not an interesting update, but letting you know what I've been doing doesn't hurt right? ^^;

Return to “Modelling”