Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#51 » Apr 25 2012 11:02

I just put together the body and right leg, then used poster buddies to stick on the arm and backpack. Awesome!! It's really cool to finally look at it (semi-)assembled! I placed the other crisis next to it to compare them, I also put paint on him a few months back but didn't show it yet.
Enjoy!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#52 » May 04 2012 10:25

Loving the torso work on your initial idea.. very cool embedded head unit :)

the WiP have been golden in helping see what you did too.

- Tael.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#53 » May 05 2012 09:53

Thank you Tael :)
Yesterday I finally found my lost magnets and couldn't wait to use them, so I did :biggrin: The last stages of a project, like putting in magnets, are really awesome. I love the snap-sound when I put on a weapon. I also used them for the backpack of this project and I use them as joints for the shoulders. The arm rotates way to easy, but it does rotate and it greatly reduces the chance of breaking.

Just now I made a few photo's of the total progress of this project. As you can see the other leg is about halfway done (EDIT: after thinking about it, make that 30% done), but there's still a lot of putty-work to be done which I really don't look forward to.. The arm is about 80% done, still the insides and magnet to be done

Didi et Gogo
Kor'Vre

Post#54 » May 12 2012 12:56

Bloody_Kain wrote:You could use the Hands of an Phantom Droid from the Eldar for the Hands of your Suit...
I just wanted to pipe up and point out that I'm pretty sure that Kain was referring to a Wraithlord. Another option is to use Space Marine powerfists as hands.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#55 » May 27 2012 06:51

Crisis can now be converted to a Broadside :) Thanks to Paulson Games for his awesome gun designs.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#56 » Jun 04 2015 10:13

Soo, finally had time to sit down and properly finish this project. About time! It feels great finishing old projects (7 years, haha!), just like the sniperbike!
The legs had a bit of work left, so that was finished. While I was at it I also finished the backpack. I made it so it can serve as a rail rifle mount as well, so I can use the suit as XV8 and XV88.
Next up is basecoating, so the modelling on this project is officially finished!

For new readers. This is the first suit I bought when I just started with the Warhammer 40k game. As I didn't really like the standard look I started experimenting. This eventually led to what it is now. The upper body can rotate at the waist and the suit can be taken apart and put together without the use of glue. It doesn't actually make any sense, but it turned out this way and it's an awesome feature to have :P

I initially planned on making the shoulders movable as well. It would have been fine for a showcase model, but as it is a model for the playing field it was too unstable. That's why I just glued them on to the torso. The rail rifles are a bit short as well. I have longer versions, but they aren't fitted with magnets yet. This pair is actually for the crisis suit in my previous post.

Co'da
Shas

Post#57 » Jun 04 2015 10:37

The increased bulk, especially on the legs, gives it a very Heavy Gear look, which I love because that's by far my favourite mech franchise.

Your epoxy putty work is fantastic. How to you get the nice crisp edges? Mine are always rounded, I can never get green stuff looking that good.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#58 » Jun 04 2015 11:15

Hey Co'da, thanks!
I use Tamiya epoxy putty, when cured it's harder than green stuff so it's sandable. The trick is to add lots of material and sand/cut the shape you want. Green stuff is like clay sculpting and putty is like stone sculpting. Generally I use green stuff for clothing and bodyparts and putty for anything with edges.

Co'da
Shas

Post#59 » Jun 04 2015 12:11

Thanks for answering, Onmyou.

Good ol' Tamiya. I still have my enamels from the first time I ever made a model car. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for their epoxy putty. I'm not much of a sculptor, but sanding and cutting's more than doable! And especially useful for Tau parts, anyway.

Frodeck
Shas

Post#60 » Jun 30 2015 05:46

Wow, they look awesome! Very bulky :)

Return to “Modelling”