Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
modelglue
Kor'El

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#61 » Jun 30 2015 06:55

Looks great! I am still amazed at the quality of your reductive shaping. It looks machined. :eek:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: [FINISHED] Crisis XV82

Post#62 » Jul 24 2015 10:22

So here is the suit in base colors. This means the modelling on this project is finished!
After all this time working on it (7,5 years :neutral: ) I can finally see the finished look, so cool! Really fun to see how the armor plates turned out now that it's colored.
As the model is finished I labeled this topic finished as well. Though when the model is fully painted I will of course put some photo's of it in here ;)
Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did!

Megildur
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#63 » Jul 24 2015 01:05

I love the look of them and you did a very good job, however as some constructive criticism, I feel it doesn't quite fit with the tau aesthetic as well as it could, it really needs some more panel lines :)

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: [Finished] Crisis XV82

Post#64 » Sep 30 2015 01:43

With these exciting times for Tau I'm trying to speed up production in my construction hangar to make room for some of the rumoured upgraded XV8s. As seen below the third of the experimental suits is finished modelling. Most of the parts had been finished ages ago and waited to be assembled, which I did! These three suits can serve as both XV8 and XV88 battlesuits, but don't have the option for high yield missile pods (they didn't exist back when I started them).

I've also had a second hand, bad assembled, suit lying in one of the boxes for years. While the previous suits were made because I disliked the current XV8 battlesuits I began liking them again after seeing the picture on page 70 of the 6th codex (it's the one where all the suits are lined up from firewarror armor to the XV104 Riptide). While looking very cool it still has the iconic Tau aesthetics. I wanted to try converting the suit I had to look as much as the one in the picture as possible without going too crazy. The result you can see below. Though there are obviously some differences, I thing the coolness factor of the suit is quite a lot higher than the original, while still having Tau aesthetic! Which, as Megildur and various others correctly mentioned, was lacking from the other suits. Though they have deserved an important part in my army! If the new XV8s turn out dissapointing I plan on buying some old ones and converting them the same way. This suit is sort of a proof of concept, so it's quite statically posed as if rolling off of the assembling line. (I also might have been quite lazy in some areas :roll: ). Oh and the suit was missing a shoulder somehow, so I made one using sprue (again, quite lazy, haha!).

ImageImage

Edit: Are the images too large? If so please tell me, I'll keep it in mind.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#65 » Sep 30 2015 02:21

Middle suit is your Commander? Great job on his torso!

I like how you handled the underslung weapons on the right-most suit. Might have to do something similar when the new XV8's show up (for having my weapons be swappable with older XV8's)
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#66 » Oct 02 2015 02:55

It varies, sometimes he's the commander, sometimes he's an XV8 shas'ui, or an XV88. I change my tactics for each of my battles, to get a feel for what each unit is capable of. I might be a Fio'ui, but I'm still a Shas'saal in terms of battle tactics :crafty:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: Onmyou's battlesuit hangar

Post#67 » Jan 20 2016 03:34

So somehow I got my hands on these:

6x classic Crisis suits (some brand new)
3x new Crisis suits
1x finecast commander

Me and my big mouth ended up sort of promising to show off that classic suits can still look very cool. So that will be my mission for the time being! To be honest, the piles of parts are intimidatingly staring back at me. I'll get 'em though, eventually!

I'll try to keep up with in-progress photo's this time :roll:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#68 » Jan 25 2016 03:49

Work has begun on the first suit! I try to make each of the suits unique and add character, but I have a hard time figuring out how to start. To get into it I started on the easiest one, the iridium heavy armor tough guy using the new bits. While working on it ideas started coming for the other suits, so I'm glad the creative juices are flowing yet again :D
I'll be doing things one step at a time at a slow pace, like I always do. So expect irregular small updates :P
The first bit of conversion are hands for this suit. The fist is from the resin commander. I actually don't like the hands on that commander like it is intended to, they're sticking out too much I feel. The normal hands seem to have three fingers deep into the arm, so I tried reshaping the fist so that only the fingers stick out. I still think the hand is slightly too large, being from the bigger command suit, but it's acceptable for the moment. The lower legs will be extended slightly, I hope that will take things into balance again. The volume of the shoulder plate helps as well.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#69 » Feb 20 2016 09:37

Rather than posting for every slight change I saved some photos for a bigger post.
After the hands I went on with highening the backpack. Because of the shoulder plates it still doesn't really stand out, but on normal suits it will give it a more aggressive look.

Next is lengthening the legs. Comparing the new suit with the old one I'm surprised of the similarities. Aside from the obvious changes like the details, waist and upper legs the measurements are exactly the same. Even though that is really awesome, the jetpack is still too low for my liking and the legs too short. So just as the previous suit in this thread I lengthened this one's legs as well. To make sure it's still strong enough to use in a game I used metal rods as the core of the legs and used plastic sheets to create the shape. That was a lot more work than I thought, so for the next suit I might come up with a different way.

Gaps were filled. Also I decided on using two shoulder guards. Using one kind of looks strange, I'm used to the old suits. For normal suits I will use no guards, so the old and new don't look too different. For the iridium armor suit however I think they are fitting.

Some time later somehow a finger broke off. Seriously, the trouble the finecast commander has given me up till now, as well as its state, really makes me think I bought a fake one. That suit will have (need) a major overhaul, so look forward to it :D
I made him a hill to stand on as well. I'm trying to make every suit from now on look like a proper piece on its own, so I try to spend some more time on bases as well!

There are still some gaps to fill and magnets to add, the finger needs a replacement and the base needs sand added. Really awesome to have a cool looking model so quick!

Exzendar
Shas'Saal

Post#70 » Feb 21 2016 03:42

awesome work!
do you made the guns?

Return to “Modelling”