Thanks Ironsky! Recreating the waist joint was always the plan, not by casting though, will keep that in mind for future projects. For now I got the perfect size plastic tube to use for the joint. I actually meant the big ball joints on the legs (sorry for the confusion!), however I have decided to leave them as they are now. I don't think they will be as bulky as I thought.
Since last time I have added the backpack thrusters with a similar joint as the new suits. I have heightened the backpack on the two previous projects and even now it surprises me how big of an impact it has. I have also tidied up the model with putty. Actually I would use Tamiya putty basic type normally, but they are unavailable in my area. I don't really know why, but I suspect it's banned because of the fumes. I tried Plasto by Revell, but I found it too brittle to work with for filling in small gaps like on this suit. Recently I tried Milliput (superfine) with surprisingly good results. I though it would be like working with green stuff (which I find hard to work with as well for filling gaps), but it's actually a lot less rubbery. It's quite soft for sanding, which makes it fast to work with, but the trade off is that it's easy to make mistakes. I haven't tried the other Milliput though. Also, it's easy to prepare too much putty then what you need, compared to the Tamiya putty. Anyway, I'm glad I found a good replacement! The head still needs a touch of putty by the way.
The legs have been lengthened! The joints have been moved 2mm. I think it's enough to make it cooler without making it too obvious. I thought I would show it in this state before finishing it with putty.
And here it is finally! The finecast commander torso has seen quite a lot of knife and putty. The armor at the front has been buffed, I found the original quite thin. The collar looked quite silly compared to the new suits, so I removed it and replaced it with a wider one. The thruster connectors in the back has been put flush with the rest of the hull, which gives the torso a less boxy look I feel. I also replaced the small energy core in the back with a properly sized one. The energy core is the same size with all other suits I have seen and it makes this slightly bigger suit blend in with the normal sized suits better. Still need to add some strips on it though.
The air intake is slightly angled to one side, so I'll try to fix that with hot water. I also want to add some structure to attach the shoulders to. Originally there was a joint sticking out, but I think it really needs some structure like other suits have. It will add more complexity and it looks more muscular.
I hope you enjoyed this update! Hopefully the XV8 will be finished in the next one. The pose I have in mind for him doesn't need him to change the angle in his knees, I will get to that in a next project. The finecast commander still requires a lot of work. The model suffered a lot from shrinking material so I need to put putty on basically everything and bring the detail back somehow. I hope it will look amazing in the end though!