Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#61 » Jun 30 2015 06:55

Looks great! I am still amazed at the quality of your reductive shaping. It looks machined. :eek:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [FINISHED] Crisis XV82

Post#62 » Jul 24 2015 10:22

So here is the suit in base colors. This means the modelling on this project is finished!
After all this time working on it (7,5 years :neutral: ) I can finally see the finished look, so cool! Really fun to see how the armor plates turned out now that it's colored.
As the model is finished I labeled this topic finished as well. Though when the model is fully painted I will of course put some photo's of it in here ;)
Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did!

Megildur
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#63 » Jul 24 2015 01:05

I love the look of them and you did a very good job, however as some constructive criticism, I feel it doesn't quite fit with the tau aesthetic as well as it could, it really needs some more panel lines :)

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [Finished] Crisis XV82

Post#64 » Sep 30 2015 01:43

With these exciting times for Tau I'm trying to speed up production in my construction hangar to make room for some of the rumoured upgraded XV8s. As seen below the third of the experimental suits is finished modelling. Most of the parts had been finished ages ago and waited to be assembled, which I did! These three suits can serve as both XV8 and XV88 battlesuits, but don't have the option for high yield missile pods (they didn't exist back when I started them).

I've also had a second hand, bad assembled, suit lying in one of the boxes for years. While the previous suits were made because I disliked the current XV8 battlesuits I began liking them again after seeing the picture on page 70 of the 6th codex (it's the one where all the suits are lined up from firewarror armor to the XV104 Riptide). While looking very cool it still has the iconic Tau aesthetics. I wanted to try converting the suit I had to look as much as the one in the picture as possible without going too crazy. The result you can see below. Though there are obviously some differences, I thing the coolness factor of the suit is quite a lot higher than the original, while still having Tau aesthetic! Which, as Megildur and various others correctly mentioned, was lacking from the other suits. Though they have deserved an important part in my army! If the new XV8s turn out dissapointing I plan on buying some old ones and converting them the same way. This suit is sort of a proof of concept, so it's quite statically posed as if rolling off of the assembling line. (I also might have been quite lazy in some areas :roll: ). Oh and the suit was missing a shoulder somehow, so I made one using sprue (again, quite lazy, haha!).

ImageImage

Edit: Are the images too large? If so please tell me, I'll keep it in mind.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#65 » Sep 30 2015 02:21

Middle suit is your Commander? Great job on his torso!

I like how you handled the underslung weapons on the right-most suit. Might have to do something similar when the new XV8's show up (for having my weapons be swappable with older XV8's)
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#66 » Oct 02 2015 02:55

It varies, sometimes he's the commander, sometimes he's an XV8 shas'ui, or an XV88. I change my tactics for each of my battles, to get a feel for what each unit is capable of. I might be a Fio'ui, but I'm still a Shas'saal in terms of battle tactics :crafty:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Onmyou's battlesuit hangar

Post#67 » Jan 20 2016 03:34

So somehow I got my hands on these:

6x classic Crisis suits (some brand new)
3x new Crisis suits
1x finecast commander

Me and my big mouth ended up sort of promising to show off that classic suits can still look very cool. So that will be my mission for the time being! To be honest, the piles of parts are intimidatingly staring back at me. I'll get 'em though, eventually!

I'll try to keep up with in-progress photo's this time :roll:

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#68 » Jan 25 2016 03:49

Work has begun on the first suit! I try to make each of the suits unique and add character, but I have a hard time figuring out how to start. To get into it I started on the easiest one, the iridium heavy armor tough guy using the new bits. While working on it ideas started coming for the other suits, so I'm glad the creative juices are flowing yet again :D
I'll be doing things one step at a time at a slow pace, like I always do. So expect irregular small updates :P
The first bit of conversion are hands for this suit. The fist is from the resin commander. I actually don't like the hands on that commander like it is intended to, they're sticking out too much I feel. The normal hands seem to have three fingers deep into the arm, so I tried reshaping the fist so that only the fingers stick out. I still think the hand is slightly too large, being from the bigger command suit, but it's acceptable for the moment. The lower legs will be extended slightly, I hope that will take things into balance again. The volume of the shoulder plate helps as well.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#69 » Feb 20 2016 09:37

Rather than posting for every slight change I saved some photos for a bigger post.
After the hands I went on with highening the backpack. Because of the shoulder plates it still doesn't really stand out, but on normal suits it will give it a more aggressive look.

Next is lengthening the legs. Comparing the new suit with the old one I'm surprised of the similarities. Aside from the obvious changes like the details, waist and upper legs the measurements are exactly the same. Even though that is really awesome, the jetpack is still too low for my liking and the legs too short. So just as the previous suit in this thread I lengthened this one's legs as well. To make sure it's still strong enough to use in a game I used metal rods as the core of the legs and used plastic sheets to create the shape. That was a lot more work than I thought, so for the next suit I might come up with a different way.

Gaps were filled. Also I decided on using two shoulder guards. Using one kind of looks strange, I'm used to the old suits. For normal suits I will use no guards, so the old and new don't look too different. For the iridium armor suit however I think they are fitting.

Some time later somehow a finger broke off. Seriously, the trouble the finecast commander has given me up till now, as well as its state, really makes me think I bought a fake one. That suit will have (need) a major overhaul, so look forward to it :D
I made him a hill to stand on as well. I'm trying to make every suit from now on look like a proper piece on its own, so I try to spend some more time on bases as well!

There are still some gaps to fill and magnets to add, the finger needs a replacement and the base needs sand added. Really awesome to have a cool looking model so quick!

Exzendar
Shas'Saal

Post#70 » Feb 21 2016 03:42

awesome work!
do you made the guns?

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#71 » Feb 21 2016 05:12

Thanks! I have a whole pile of weapons that need magnets. I'll do them all in one go, but I just like working on suits a lot more :D
I did have plans on making some weapons based on Cirillo's sketches, but that will probably have to wait till I have no more suits to work on.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#72 » Mar 09 2016 12:39

Me and my big mouth ended up sort of promising to show off that classic suits can still look very cool.

My man! /Salute.

The result looks suitably imposing and a great revision of what it means to be the command suit.

Great work and thought process.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#73 » Mar 09 2016 03:47

I still haven't delivered what I promised though. The old suits will get their attention eventually :)

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#74 » Jun 28 2016 11:39

Eventually is now! :biggrin:

Lately I've been finishing off the basic paints on my suits so I could get a protected coat going, as well as hacking and slashing on the finecast commander. The commander is not really in a presentable state yet and the process is quite messy, so don't expect too much detail on the In Progress posts on it. In between I have been preparing one of the old suits, which is what I want to show off today. As a reminder, the goal is to take the old suit design and update it to look awesome! At least for the first one I really want to maintain the iconic look of the Crisis Suit. I'll try to be very detailed in the In Progress updates for this one.

One of the causes the old suit looks quite dull is the way the thrusters on the back of the suit are positioned. In a lot of artwork the suits look a lot more intimidating. One of the reasons for this is that the artists heightened the position of the thrusters as well as rotating them slightly in some cases. So the first step in this conversion is taking them off, so they can be put on higher later.

Secondly, the hips. To make a dynamic pose, movement in the hips is quite helpful, as many Fio have proven. I think the new kit has a beautiful way of doing this without taking away the iconic looks, so I took inspiration from it when making the cut.

I'm actually pretty excited about the leg improvements. A few posts back I tried to improve the legs from the old kit as well, but I felt it was kind of sloppy. This time I managed to remove a lot of material to get rid of the bulkiness of the armor, without it being too obvious. I made the comparison photo before cleaning up so you can see what surfaces were sanded. The legs will be lengthened like my other suits and the hip joint will need to be smaller somehow.

But that will have to wait till the next update. Thanks for reading!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#75 » Jun 30 2016 01:09

Very nice work (as usual)!

Onmyou wrote:
...the hip joint will need to be smaller somehow.

Having been working on a similar project myself, might I suggest adding material to the top of the pelvis (reconstructing the socket joint) rather than making the hip joint smaller? Personally I have opted to cast the pelvis component from the new suits, but one or two strips of plasticard should be sufficient to reconstruct the pelvis, giving similar results to the hip joint on the new suits.
Really like the thinning down on the thigh armour, I hadn't thought of that!

-Ironsky

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Making the old suit look cool

Post#76 » Aug 10 2016 08:44

Thanks Ironsky! Recreating the waist joint was always the plan, not by casting though, will keep that in mind for future projects. For now I got the perfect size plastic tube to use for the joint. I actually meant the big ball joints on the legs (sorry for the confusion!), however I have decided to leave them as they are now. I don't think they will be as bulky as I thought.

Since last time I have added the backpack thrusters with a similar joint as the new suits. I have heightened the backpack on the two previous projects and even now it surprises me how big of an impact it has. I have also tidied up the model with putty. Actually I would use Tamiya putty basic type normally, but they are unavailable in my area. I don't really know why, but I suspect it's banned because of the fumes. I tried Plasto by Revell, but I found it too brittle to work with for filling in small gaps like on this suit. Recently I tried Milliput (superfine) with surprisingly good results. I though it would be like working with green stuff (which I find hard to work with as well for filling gaps), but it's actually a lot less rubbery. It's quite soft for sanding, which makes it fast to work with, but the trade off is that it's easy to make mistakes. I haven't tried the other Milliput though. Also, it's easy to prepare too much putty then what you need, compared to the Tamiya putty. Anyway, I'm glad I found a good replacement! The head still needs a touch of putty by the way.

The legs have been lengthened! The joints have been moved 2mm. I think it's enough to make it cooler without making it too obvious. I thought I would show it in this state before finishing it with putty.

And here it is finally! The finecast commander torso has seen quite a lot of knife and putty. The armor at the front has been buffed, I found the original quite thin. The collar looked quite silly compared to the new suits, so I removed it and replaced it with a wider one. The thruster connectors in the back has been put flush with the rest of the hull, which gives the torso a less boxy look I feel. I also replaced the small energy core in the back with a properly sized one. The energy core is the same size with all other suits I have seen and it makes this slightly bigger suit blend in with the normal sized suits better. Still need to add some strips on it though.
The air intake is slightly angled to one side, so I'll try to fix that with hot water. I also want to add some structure to attach the shoulders to. Originally there was a joint sticking out, but I think it really needs some structure like other suits have. It will add more complexity and it looks more muscular.

I hope you enjoyed this update! Hopefully the XV8 will be finished in the next one. The pose I have in mind for him doesn't need him to change the angle in his knees, I will get to that in a next project. The finecast commander still requires a lot of work. The model suffered a lot from shrinking material so I need to put putty on basically everything and bring the detail back somehow. I hope it will look amazing in the end though!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#77 » Aug 10 2016 11:36

I'm impressed with how this is turning out, you're breathing new life into those old models.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#78 » Aug 10 2016 12:49

This is some seriously impressive work! I will be watching this thread closely as I have a handful of older unbuilt XV8s I'd like to redesign.

Keep it up!

Return to “Modelling”