Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Re: Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Making the old suit look cool

Post#81 » Sep 02 2016 09:55

So here it is! I actually finished the suit a while back, but for the detail on the hip joints. Too lazy to go to the store to buy the plastic rod to make it :crafty: In the end I changed the knee as well.
There was one suit I didn't cut to pieces by chance. I'm glad I didn't start work on it yet, it's cool seeing them side by side showing the difference.
So I guess that concludes my quest to make old suits look cool! I hope I kept the original look (and made them cool enough :P ). Progress was going so fast in the end that I forgot to make photos. I guess to make up for that I can make detail photos when desired. And of course if anyone has questions I will answer as best I can.
As a final note, I started working on other suits as well and I find already assembled suits easier to convert to this style, so it's perfect for upgrading existing armies!

Tarnag
Shas

Re: Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post#82 » Sep 02 2016 05:33

I would LOVE a step by step or any sort of insight on how to accomplish this. I've been wanting to do something similar to a few of my crisis suits very soon and have been trying to find what materials and methods to use
Last edited by Tarnag on Sep 03 2016 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#83 » Sep 03 2016 07:00

Very crisp result, definitely looking forward to the new models you speak of. Very helpful to those wanting to update their current XV8s :)

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#84 » Sep 04 2016 05:00

Thank you Tarnag and Tael!
Most of my other suits will be converted in some way or another, but the core look will be the same as this one. I should be able to explain some things better with them. The most important part of this conversion is making the right cuts and tidying up the mess, like smoothing surfaces and filling gaps. So most of that is covered in the previous updates, but I will try to add to that. If there are any specific questions I can keep them in mind for next updates.
By the way, the finecast commander is going very well. It shouldn't be that long before the torso is finished.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#85 » Sep 09 2016 10:16

Here is some more work done on the finecast commander.

The torso is almost finished now. I buffed up the area around his shoulder joints on the torso, in the spirit of the normal suits. A head of the new crisis suit kit has been used to match the normal suits more and to accentuate the difference of this bigger suit. Also, I found the flat breastplate too plain without details, so I salvaged the Tau symbol from his shoulder plate to fit in it. I wasn't going to use the shoulder plate anyway, so that worked out well. Just now though I realized I still had the original smaller Tau symbol... Oh well, this works out interestingly I guess haha :roll: I also used a thruster from a normal suit to replace the original ones on his lower back, again to buff them up and to get him more in line with the other suits. I forgot to make photo's of his back though, I will do that for next time! The shoulders have been buffed as well, the original shape was too flat for me. I separated the shoulders from the arms so they can be put back slightly inwards, so the shoulders stick outwards more. The arms need to be repositioned as well. The bubbles caused by the molding process still need to be fixed.

The backpack needs some modifications as well. Because the material shrinks when cooling down in the mold most of the surfaces aren't flat. I used a file to fix that, though I have to bring back some details later. I separated the thrusters to align them again later in a less random way. Like my other suits, the backpack will be mounted on the torso slightly higher than originally intended.

One of the next big modifications will be the legs. Because of the hands I have available I need the angles of the knees exactly the other way around to get the pose I want. By the way, a tip for any modifications on suits: make sure to sand a slight curve off all the sharp edges. Sanding your perfect sharp edges might go against your gut feeling, but it instantly gets a crisis suit feeling to it.

Thanks for reading!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#86 » Sep 17 2016 08:58

Man, thats some serious modifying. Completely agree on keeping tidy cuts to retain parts. Look forward the legs when you get them done :D

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#87 » Sep 18 2016 05:05

What did you use to cut the old Crisis apart? Mainly the Jetpack and the hip? I got an old Crisis and plan to convert it into my Mark'O ( because he doesn't fit visually in a regular Crisis unit and also to honor it since it was a gift from a friend :P ).

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#88 » Sep 18 2016 09:06

In the end I decided against swapping the knees. After some messing around with posing it doesn't look that out of place than I initially thought. Quite happy with the walking pose it has now! Still needs some work before I show it off though. The backpack on the other hand is more work than I thought. I'll first have to do some thinking on how to not mess things up and creating even more work. That aside I think this project is going quite good, slow and steady :P

About the cutting tools, I use these ones. The Tamiya one has more control for small things, the Roco one is faster and can also be used to work with metal. I've used both for making the big cuts on the suits, but the Roco one is easier and faster.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#89 » Oct 12 2016 09:47

It's done! Aside from some base work and magnets the commander is ready for a base coat.
Working a few minutes on it every time I feel like it, there was never really a finished part I could make an update about. But here it is, finally finished as a whole! The biggest things I worked on were the thrusters from the last update. They now have nice flat surfaces and I managed to get all the details back. Now that I think of it there were some rivet-like bumps on the backpack that I didn't replace after sanding them off. I never really liked them, but I may put something else in their place, not sure yet.
The legs have been repositioned into a walking pose. The right hip joint was cut and replaced so the leg could be put back in a different position. The same was done with the ankles. The left leg is reinforced with a sturdy wire connected to the base. Also made a new toe, since the resin one broke off never to be seen again.
The under arms have been thickened slightly and got a subtle angle on them like the normal Crisis suits. I places the hands into the arm so only the fingers stick out, like I did with a previous suit. I find it matches the Tau style more and reduces the Gundam-like aesthetic. The arms have been attached to the shoulders using plastic rods to make it stronger.
For easy painting later I haven't glued everything together yet. Using plastic rods I made very simple joints so I can still display the figure. I'll be doing that with next models too, I find it very hard to reach certain places when painting if everything is glued together and making these joints is very simple and fast.
In my enthusiasm I forgot to make detail photos haha :roll: If I don't forget I will make some detail photos before I do a base coat. If there is anyone who is really dying for the details I might put some more effort into them :crafty:

I feel a sense of relieve now I have finished the last two suits haha! I think I will be cleaning everything up and take a break from "heavy" modeling like this for a little while. I will probably be back with a Tael inspired XV8 next. Already have some preparations done on that :biggrin:

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#90 » Oct 12 2016 01:27

That turned out beautifully. I am loving the pose and the chest especially. I'm definitely looking forward to detail shots.

Return to “Modelling”