Onmyou's battlesuit hangar - Made the old suit look cool

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [WIP] Crisis XV82

Post#19 » Feb 01 2010 02:56

Tadaa, start of new legs! There will be some big feet attached to it, for stabilization. It's not the typical Crisis look, but I have always thought the current legs of the crisissuits are way too thin (and a bit boring, I guess). I still have the left upperleg to do, so I can try to make some WIP photo's of it.

Wodai
Shas

Post#20 » Feb 01 2010 03:03

Looking good so far, very good.

I'm struggling with Tamiya E P and cant seem to get the angles "straight".
How on this green Earth do you do it? Any tricks up your sleeves?

Any word of wisdom would be gratefully accepted.

Sinc.
Wodai

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#21 » Feb 01 2010 03:18

Looking pretty sweet, I must say.

Wodai, I use Tamiya EP as well; I find the best way to do it is to scult an obect larger then required, then use a file to take it down to size.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#22 » Feb 01 2010 04:02

Thanks both! And yes, by filing it down you can take as much as time you want, so pretty much anything can be done with it as long as you have patience.

Wodai
Shas

Post#23 » Feb 01 2010 05:00

Cheers to both of you. Guess it comes down to patience and practice, wich I lack ^^.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#24 » Feb 10 2010 03:11

Actually, just patience is enough to make pretty cool things. The chest part of the suit is one of the first things I ever made with Tamiya EP. As you can see there were many holes and parts missing. Later I filled them up with little plastic parts and Tamiya Putty Basic Type (the grey stuff). To sum it up I work like this: roughly sculpt the shape you want, then file/cut it down to size, then fill in the holes/missing parts, then add details like panellines. My goal is to skip the third part, but it always turns out different then expected. Having experience is really helpful, but certainly not a necessity because mistakes can be corrected. This makes, I speak for myself here, Tamiya EP a lot easier to work with then Greenstuff.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#25 » Aug 04 2010 08:59

It has been a while! Here is what I have done the past few days. I may shock some of you with the huge foot, please tell me what you think. Now that I look at it I might change the heel, though (EDIT: Already done :)). The white plastic on the lower leg will be thickened and an exhaust kinda thing will be added.

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#26 » Aug 04 2010 09:59

This definitely a really AWESOME mech/crisis suit, I love how it can slide together!

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Aug 04 2010 10:18

Agreed; this is looking fantastic. You are an excellent modeler, [b]Onmyou. [/bI am really impressed by how smooth you're getting the putty.
This is definitely inspiring for my contest entry!
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#28 » Oct 18 2010 05:50

Here's what I made of it. I'm not sure what to do with the exhaust on the leg, any ideas? Or is it good as it is? Apart from that, detail on the heel and the inner part of the leg are left to be done.

FerrumIgnatus
Shas

Post#29 » Nov 27 2010 04:38

I, for one, love the leg. When finnished, I do believe they will give the whole XV-battlesuit a nice, sturdy -and 'mechesque- look. What are your plans for the weapons, will they be hand-held "rifles" or buildt-in?

Anyhow, looking forward to your next update. Cheers, FI
Why go melee when you have a Railgun?

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#30 » Nov 28 2010 04:40

Hello FerrumIgnatus. Thanks for liking the legs, the left one still needs to be made. The plastic parts is one thing, but the putty ones are a pain.. :P
I was thinking of making separate weapons to snap on, but the idea of build-in ones is pretty cool. Maybe I can combine it. The lower arms are actually already done a long time, but they're not that special. I already have an idea of making the shoulders out of gundam shoulders. Now that sounds scary, but I will modify them heavily. It's just to get the shape and it helps in making two identical ones. I've also begun things on a backpack. I'm using many parts of the old backpack, so it's probably interesting for others too. Don't expect updates soon though, I work 3 hours per month on it, probably even less. The idea of making an identical leg is scaring me :P
I have actually put many hours (my standard) in warhammer past month, but most of it went into filling hard to reach holes and cleaning up. A lot of work, but not interesting to see.
The progress is slow, but I feel it's going steady. When the other leg is done I can let it stand!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#31 » Dec 05 2010 04:24

Pictures! I said I was using gundam parts for the shoulders, but they were too big. Then I spend an hour staring at parts, but at a certain point it struck me! Enjoy :D

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 07 2010 09:21

Brilliant! I think I saw something like it on another thread but still it looks dang good!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#33 » Dec 09 2010 05:01

Thanks :D Can you remember where you saw it? Sounds interesting.
I'll probably remove the square on top, it reminds me too much of a terminator back.

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#34 » Feb 20 2011 08:50

I played a game yesterday! :biggrin: My army mostly consisted of grey legs and empty bases though.. When I looked at my crisis suit I realised I will be playing with empty bases for quite some years if I go on at this pace. Just now I thought up a way of converting suits to suit the style of my WIP Crisis using almost no putty/greenstuff, which takes the most time, and only using crisis suit parts. I'll be making a sort of tutorial while I go along.

Well, I'm not very good at explaining, this picture speaks for itself :P

The thin part of the leg is glued the other way on the leg again. I believe this conversion is pretty common. I've probably made the knee bend a bit too much, I'll probably let it stand on a rock or something. I think I'll stretch the leg by a few degrees on the next one. As you can see the two thicker toes and the jumppack part will make the foot.

The leg is a bit smaller like before, so we need to compensate on the upper body. I narrowed the waist to match it more like the other suit.

The important parts concerning the legs are pretty much done, but it was still a bit too sluggish to my liking, so I cut it to make it look more complex and light. The foot with one toe left will be used for the connection of the leg to the waist, I'll post a picture when done.

It turned out more like a blog then a tutorial :roll: There is a hole in his back, but that will be fixed with plastic sheets. Things still to do are the head and the jumppack. I have an idea for those, but at least I won't have empty bases now :P

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#35 » Feb 20 2011 09:18

I will definitely try this out, any news on the XV82? I want more progress :D

Onmyou
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#36 » Feb 20 2011 10:17

Nope, sorry, no updates for the XV82.
I do have an update for the other, I just glued the leg on to see how the joint looks. It looks still a bit thin, but I don't know if it's too thin to convert it more. I feel really lazy compared to when I work on the XV82, I just cut things up and glue them together. If something doesn't fit perfectly I just use a lot of glue :nice:

Image Image

Return to “Modelling”