Reconstruction

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shas'El Ma'Feyn
Shas

Reconstruction

Post#1 » Apr 14 2006 11:57

Hey all just polling the masses here to see if anyone has heard of or knows a way to loosen superglue bonds with out destroying plastic.

I am disassembling myold crisis suits to do some work on them( mainly magnetizing and creating some more dynamic posing ) but they are all... you guessed it....glued together.

Any help on the matter would be great because i really don't have the cash to spend on new suits.

Ma'Feyn

Pochtecatl
Shas

Post#2 » Apr 15 2006 02:01

At least it's super-glue. My experience with popping apart models is that superglue usually literally just pops apart and you can clean it up after. If you use model glue (..the stuff in the red tube) I believe it melts the plastics a bit making a strong bond, thus making it dang hard to take apart.

I don't know of any chemical things that can take them apart, I bet there are some though. My advice is to slightly pull the joint apart and swip at it with a sharp blade over and over (this is what I do). Then just clean it up and greenstuff any major chunks that go missing.

Ghostfire
Shas

Post#3 » Apr 15 2006 02:06

Superglue is water soluble. Takes a week+, but it will eventually come apart.

Pfreck
Fio

Post#4 » Apr 15 2006 02:59

Superglue is like a small breakable stone, when the model falls the 'stones' fall, it'll fibrate through the model and breaks, when you glue it with plastic glue and it fall there (almost always) happens nothing, that is because the Plastic Glue 'molds' the parts together.
And to remove the glue, use a File
I wish you good luck with your battlesuit and this time glue it with plastic glue when it's finished ;) and don't forget to show us pics :D
Last edited by Pfreck on Apr 15 2006 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

trapu
Shas

Post#5 » Apr 15 2006 03:09

Castrol Super Clean works great, and will definitely strip your paint as well. I don't know of anything that will just strip the super glue, and leave paint. CSS is getting pretty difficult to find as well. In summary, if you are going to repaint anyways, I would recommend a dip in the castrol, if not, cut away and hope for the best?

Good luck

Soldierboy
Shas

Post#6 » Apr 15 2006 08:01

One of the better ways to get superglue off is using superglue. Superglue dissolves itself. If I superglue my fingers together while putting something together I just put more on and pull my fingers apart as the new glue dissolves the old.

Shas'El Ma'Feyn
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 15 2006 08:41

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

It seems a lot of the joins will just pop apart and after a bit of touchup will be ok.My main problem is with small fragile areas like where the feet join to the ankle ball and socket .... i may use trapu's idea and try to find some castrol super clean as a repaint isnt out of the question.

would ask though do they need to just soak in that stuff or what i don't wanna accidently ruin something by leaving it in too long...

Anyhow thanks again for the feedback and if anyone has anyother suggestions please leave them.

Ma'Feyn

Shas'El Ma'Feyn
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 15 2006 07:05

I retract my previous comment..... most of the joins will NOT pop apart ... snapped a ball and socket arm joint earlier attempting it.....so im now going to try a couple other methods :sad:

twigboy
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 15 2006 10:40

I wanted to repaint my suits and ended up pulling all the ball joints off. Thank god I have a pin vise. You need one too (because those FW weapon arms NEVER hold right with superglue).
Ken is Tau for 6'3"

Champion of the CIB cause

trapu
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 15 2006 11:17

If you use the castrol, just soak them for about eight hours. You should be fine leaving plastic in for up to around three days, but I've found that at the max, a day is enough. Metals you can leave in forever. A few of the joins on mine were weakened though. Nothing I wasn't able to superglue back. I bought my army second hand and had to dunk everything. Note to everyone, you are not trying to get as many colors as you can on all your miniatures! ;)

X-FuryEagle-X
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Apr 16 2006 09:39

Personally, when I want to strip a model I will let it soak for 24hrs in brake fluid. This will strip the paint (if you go over it with an old toothbrush) and it will dissolve the glue as well. With a quick paintbrush and popping off any stubborn pieces you should end up with a bare model in pieces. (That's what happens when I do it anyway)

An alternative that I've heard which is easier to apply locally is nail polish remover. Check with your mum/girlfriend/sister etc and you might be able to borrow some to see if it works before you go out and buy a whole heap. This stuff will definitely remove the paint too and I have it on good advice that I'll handle most types of glue no worries at all!

FE

Return to “Modelling”