(WIP) Weathered Farsight Cadre - "Renegades of Damocles"

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Jordtron
Shas

(WIP) Weathered Farsight Cadre - "Renegades of Damocles"

Post#1 » Jun 28 2008 10:21

Rather than make multiple WIP threads, I thought I'd just make a single topic where I can post updates regarding the painting of my army. Here are pictures of my 1st Fire Warrior squad and my newly finished Commander. The theme is a weathered, worn down Farsight Enclave that's sort of got a rag-tag feel to it. I have yet to base them (going to wait until I've finished a few more models) so the bases will look uniform, but the theme for the bases has yet to be decided. If you have any suggestions let me know...C&C is welcome!

Squad shot:

Fire Warrior details:
Image Image

Commander shots:

Shots of Piranha to follow...
Last edited by Jordtron on Sep 14 2009 05:12, edited 3 times in total.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Re: My WIP Cadre

Post#2 » Jun 28 2008 10:38

OMG GW Should give you a job!
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Shas'O T'Ar'Cha
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 29 2008 06:33

Looking good mate, don't know how good your basing skills are but a lava based... base might look really good and would certainly match up with the red armour. I suppose it really depends on weather you want a camouflage based cadre or one that stands out.

Jordtron
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 29 2008 07:57

Thanks for the feedback guys, as promised here are shots of my Piranha.

Normal shots:

Detail shots:

Next on the painting assembly line is my Hammerhead...wish me luck! I'll post my progress in here as I go.

-Jord

Shas'O T'Ar'Cha
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 29 2008 10:40

Man alive! That's one beat up Piranha! I dread to think what state the Hammerheads and Devilfish are in. :P

Insectoid
Kroot

Post#6 » Jun 29 2008 11:17

I'm not a big fan of extreme weathering, so I won't comment on that. The banner on the XV8, however, if that's freehand, then you are a god of miniatures. if that's just a transfer, then good job blending it in!
Mostly just lurk.

Jordtron
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 29 2008 12:56

Thanks for the feedback! I know some people are turned off by the idea of weathering, but it's just something I thought would emphasize the renegade nature of the army. Can't wait to start painting the Hammerhead; I only get one in my army so it's going to be special. And yes, the banner on the Shas'O is 100% freehand.

-Jord

Kyrindon
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 29 2008 03:20

You're unreal. Keep going! Maybe you'll be the next Tael! Good luck with the Hammerhead. I didn't like painting mine, but that was just because there's so many broad areas it got a little boring. :P

I'm fairly ADD when it comes to painting, and OCD when it comes to details. I love your commander's banner, as well. That's really fantastic work, especially for freehand. What did you do to get the lines so straight? Did you use any sort of brush in particular, or just a typical detail one?
Teach them. Their fingers have never touched the sky.

Jordtron
Shas

Post#9 » Jun 30 2008 12:15

It's a standard Citadel Fine Detail brush I used, I just used some pencil lines to position where I wanted the lines to go. I work as a freelance illustrator, so I have some experience doing straight lines. :) Another trick you can do is get artist tape (hardly any adhesive on it what-so-ever) to use as a bleed-off for making straight lines. If you're worried about getting sticky stuff on your model, you can even stick the tape on a clean surface before putting it on your model to remove some of the adhesive.

I had to pencil in most of the text and the frame of the banner emblem before I started painting, too...it was not fun.

-Jord

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#10 » Jul 01 2008 03:47

these are really good work and I like the style very much. It has a nice blend of 40k/armor weathering to it and works with the red very well. Loads of visual detail for the "simple" color palltte.

Not sure about lavea bases... green would be fine too but your call of course.

Again, very nicely done and bonus points for straying from 'Eavy Metal!

You might like this one; http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9907&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=extreme
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Rus'el
Shas

Post#11 » Jul 01 2008 04:41

I absolutely love this army so far. Your skill as a painter is unquestionable and I take my hat off to you. The weathering just brings the models to life and I think that it is very fitting for the Farsight enclave to be so beat up.

As for basing, I would go for a very rocky/spiky grey base (something similar to the asteroid in the film Armageddon if you get my drift). Firstly the amount of scratching on the armor could be attributed to climbing around such a 'paint chipping' enviroment and secondly, I feel that a grey base would look fantastic against the red!!

Hope I given you something to think about. Keep up the brilliant work, cannot wait to see the whole finished army!

P.S. Will you be including Commander Farsight in your cadre?

Rus'el
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left!

Jordtron
Shas

Post#12 » Jul 01 2008 05:57

kai'lore - Thanks for the kind words! I've seen your weathered model before, I definitely used that as part of my inspiration for my Commander. The source lighting is a really cool touch, and I agree that the wear & tear along the edges add a whole new level of detail any paint job. I'm a sucker for weathering effects, what else more can I say...

Rus'el - I really think you are on to something here, thanks for the basing suggestion (and the compliments). I think a nice neutral color would help balance out the red in the models, and a spiked, rocky & dirty harsh environment would definitely help accentuate the weathering or at least make it appear to be plausible. Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to try it out on a spare base and start playing around with it. And yes, I plan to (eventually) have enough points to field Commander Farsight. But, I have a lot of painting to do between now and then.

-Jord

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#13 » Jul 02 2008 03:20

well, happy to hear that indeed! Yes, weathering and damage, must admit that I am weak to it too....

Good luck with putting this across a cadre and you've chosen both a great theme and color scheme for it, will be a fantastic cadre!
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Joek
Shas

Post#14 » Jul 03 2008 08:05

One of the best schemes I've seen - can't wait to see what bases you come up with. Surely a regiment would be in with a great chance of winning any comp you entered it in!

Darkseer
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 05 2008 08:00

Simply Outstanding.

The paint scheme gives a rich flavour and detailed background to your army. It's clear to see they're from the farsight enclaves and that they're bitter, hateful and tired from a lifetime of war...but it's the only life they know now.

Marvellous :)
Warhammer Tau My Tau Blog

Jordtron
Shas

Post#16 » Jul 12 2008 09:18

Been very busy, but I do have a minor update!

My basing kit finally came in, and I decided to do a quick mock-up for the theme I was trying to achieve with my bases. I think I'm going to go for a sort of desolate ash wastes kind of environment, which would explain the harsh weathering seen on the units of the army and the lack of bright vegetation. Also thinking of adding in some rusted metal scraps on the ground. Here's what I came up with...

I was thinking of using standard green Citadel static grass, because the lenses are green on all my units, but I thought that'd detract from the theme I was going for. As always, C&C welcome...let me know what you think.

-Jord

Petelee
Shas

Post#17 » Jul 12 2008 02:12

This is greatness. Shining, sparkling, greatness. Or, maybe, chipped, dirty, rag-tag greatness. Let's see more!

NeoHunter
Shas

Re: WIP (Weathered) Farsight Cadre

Post#18 » Jul 26 2008 11:41

Overall, your models are very well painted. Especially like the weathering effects you have applied to all of them. However, the only one that stands out the most to me is your Piranhna!!!

Return to “Galleries”