(WIP) Weathered Farsight Cadre - "Renegades of Damocles"

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Jordtron
Shas

Re: WIP (Weathered) Farsight Cadre

Post#55 » Oct 11 2008 05:46

Despite what you may think I am NOT actually dead, just rather busy with my senior year at college and doing the never-ending job hunt.

I need to follow through and finish this bad boy up. It'd be silly not to now that I am so close. Anyways, I found myself with a large block of free time this weekend and have decided to finish the SMS Drones and Hammerhead base, so pictures should follow in the next couple days...

-Jord

Helios

Post#56 » Oct 11 2008 06:47

Woohoo! He's alive! And by the way, you brainwashed my painting nerve, I was trying for a cool scheme so I just grabbed some random colours, and wouldn't you know it, the test fire warrior looks like one of yours, except for the blue lenses and messier painting :P

Jordtron
Shas

Post#57 » Oct 17 2008 07:53

Here they are, as promised! I've discovered that group photography is decidedly much more difficult than photographing a single mini...

"Family Photo" Shot:

Random Group Shots:

Enjoy!

-Jord

SpartanTau
Kor'Vre
Kor'Vre

Post#58 » Oct 18 2008 01:22

Jordtron :
Reminds me of my last family reunion, albeit with less weathering, less red, less plasma-firing weapons, less armour plating...

Very nice job on the group as a whole; I've been watching this from the beginning, and I'm excited of how this has turned out. What is next on the painting tray for you? Whatever it may be, I can't wait for the digitized-version of it to appear on my laptop's screen.
ON EXTENDED LEAVE

Imcrazy
Shas

Post#59 » Oct 18 2008 02:47

looking so awesome :D that it's sick. only got one question tough, in your firewarrior squad, why is it not the team leader (i guess the guy with the white helmet) who has the bonding knife, but a regular firewarrior? fix please :D so in tournaments and stuff you use the team leader as the leader.
KISS - keep it simple stupid

Jordtron
Shas

Post#60 » Oct 18 2008 12:22

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it.

SpartanTau - I am not sure what is next on the painting agenda. I think that after painting something so large (and this was the largest model I have ever painted) that whatever it is that I paint next will be something much smaller, and in greater quantity. I am hoping to do another squad of Fire Warriors since I have been getting a lot of questions regarding a tutorial on them, but I am halfway tempted to start painting my Stealth Suits. So we shall have to wait and see!

Imcrazy - You are totally right, I can't believe I overlooked that! I am not much of a tournament player, but I do want this army to be functional so that is something that I should look in to fixing. I will have to prime up a sword and sheath when I prep my next batch of models for painting. Thanks for the suggestion, I will probably be taking you up on that.

-Jord

lightning
Shas

Post#61 » Oct 24 2008 01:52

Stealth Suits!!!
I can tell you're mainly painting this for the fun of painting not quickly building up an army, so Stealthsuits! I'd love to see some Stealthy version of your Mechrite Red scheme. But now I think about it, if you added some more Fire Warriors it would look more like an army.
This thread has inspired me loads! I too had rather clean Tau, still do, but I've decided this is enough! It is the grim future of only war, for Tau'Va's sake! I'm gonna go weathering nutsy!

Jordtron
Shas

Post#62 » Dec 02 2008 06:38

While over Thanksgiving break, I found myself with some free time and did a quick test mini of how I think I want my Stealth Suits to look. It's a slightly darker red than the normal one I've been doing for the rest of my army. I know it looks a little dark, but I think once I get the base and pale static grass on there, it will brighten things up a bit, and make the gray on the lower part of the suit stand out. Let me know what you think!

-Jord

Inq NicolePyykkonen
Shas

Post#63 » Dec 02 2008 06:41

I love your work.. the highlighting really helps the otherwise plain scheme on the Stealth stand out. I like the Stealth being a bit more subdued than the rest of the force.. it makes a bit more sense somehow. I've been following your thread a lot and am simply in awe. I can only hope of being able to paint like this one day ;)

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#64 » Dec 02 2008 08:56

I'm also a fan of stealth suits that are a darker, more subdued hue than the rest of the army. It just seems more fluffy and natural to me. Awesome work as always! :)

lightning
Shas

Post#65 » Dec 03 2008 12:59

Hmmm.... another model worthy of being drooled over ten times... a day.
I'm not entirely sure if you know of it, but Vallejo do a resin water stuff. Your usual bases, with this stuff painted red, would make a very good lava-based base. If you used brighter oranges and reds it would show just how subdued and amazingly weathered these models are.
Now... back to drooling over your models...

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#66 » Dec 03 2008 01:13

Nah lightning, I reckon that the ash waste style bases Jord's using already are perfect for his models, as they make the red really stand out. That, and I use those style bases! ;)

Another good model Jord, There's something about the red that doesn't seem right to me though... Your model though :P

lightning
Shas

Post#67 » Dec 03 2008 01:28

Fraggle wrote:Nah lightning, I reckon that the ash waste style bases Jord's using already are perfect for his models, as they make the red really stand out. That, and I use those style bases! ;)

Another good model Jord, There's something about the red that doesn't seem right to me though... Your model though :P

Yeah... how about you scrap that model? I'd be glad to *clears throat* dispose of it for you... :P

Jordtron
Shas

Post#68 » Dec 03 2008 05:57

lightning - Someone suggested lava bases on the first page, and as cool of an idea as that may be I am fond of the neutral base color because it doesn't interfere with the red tones I have in the armor.

Fraggle - The value of the red is somewhat bothersome to me, too. I feel like it either needs to be slightly brighter or darker, and right now it's kind of wavering somewhere in the middle. I was thinking of making it a tad bit darker with a wash of thinned Badab Ink over everything but I don't want to make it too dark as a result of that. I'm afraid that if it goes too dark, when placed next to the rest of the army, it might look a tad strange seeing an almost all-black model next to the reds I have on all the other models.

lightning wrote:Yeah... how about you scrap that model? I'd be glad to *clears throat* dispose of it for you... :P

Stealth field initiated... :crafty:

On a completely different note, I have received a good deal of questions regarding Fire Warriors, so expect a Fire Warrior tutorial (similar to the Hammerhead tutorial I posted in this thread) in the next month or so.

-Jord

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#69 » Dec 03 2008 07:46

I really like this guys Jord. How about a piccie with him next to a FW for colour reference? Then we can give better feedback on your shade of red!

Sabre
Shas

Post#70 » Dec 13 2008 04:47

Awesome Cadre Jordtron. The look of the minis is excellent, very clean and bright, and you gotta love that weathered effect over their armour! Keep on painting and showing your minis ;)

Jordtron
Shas

Post#71 » Dec 14 2008 12:26

As per shadowwalker's suggestion, here is a color reference for comparison purposes. I based him and also brightened up the Stealth Armor (both the red highlights and the gray suit highlights) slightly and I think it is more or less where I want it now. The highlights are near the hue of the red found on the rest of the army. I think the reason it was looking a bit odd was that there was no other model in the army that matches it, and once I paint up a Marker Drone or other Stealth Suits it will feel and look more "cohesive." Sorry for the terrible lighting, my lightbox is busted and I had to ghetto-rig the lighting for these photos. Just another project to do over the holidays...

Image Image

What do you all think? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Jord

Gniknok
Shas

Post#72 » Dec 14 2008 02:49

I think they look fantastic, the slightly subdued colour difference isn't significant and I think it fits with the role of the stealth suits well, I'm waiting eagerly to see a finished team :biggrin:
Your work is inspirational Jord, I've been painting my hammerheads furiously these past few days to get them done before a game next thursday and while I'm not so much going for weathered, I keep looking back to your work to get ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Galleries”