(WIP) Weathered Farsight Cadre - "Renegades of Damocles"

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Jordtron
Shas

Re: WIP (Weathered) Farsight Cadre

Post#37 » Aug 09 2008 07:44

Second step:

I began by highlighting the armor plates with Blood Red. In some cases I want a gradual highlight so I start with a thick, watered-down lining of Blood Red then a thick final edge highlight with Blood Red. You can see I did this along some of the long & straight armor panel edges to give it a smoother effect. I have also gotten ahead of myself in that I started adding weathering around the intake/exhaust ports on the top side of the hull, and that was accomplished by laying down several base coats of the new Badab Ink, and building up an exhaust "area" to work with then simply drybrushing Chaos Black over it, being careful not to drag it too far backwards on the hull.

In retrospective, it does appear to be a little "brighter" than my Piranha, and the rest of my forces...this is probably the amount of Blood Red that I used for the highlights. So I probably will be making it a tad bit darker. I also forgot to highlight the front optics piece on the nose of the ship. Gotta go back and do that before I begin weathering, too. I will also be cleaning up the shading aroudn the recesses. It needs to be cut back a smidgen. Now that we have a (semi-)clean model, we can start weathering it... :crafty:

Detail shot:

Summary:
  • Highlight along armor panels with Blood Red
  • Clean up areas with watered-down Mechrite Red
  • Begin preliminary weathering using watered-down Black/Badab Ink

Until next time,

-Jord

Jordtron
Shas

Post#38 » Aug 10 2008 03:12

Third step:

I begin by going over the front areas near the nose with Black/Badab Ink. This lays down the preliminary area of where I want to lay down the black "chipping" areas. I try to be a little generous with the inking as I want it to show through. I do this all over the model, thinking of where I want wear & tear to go on the flat areas keeping in mind which direction I want the "swishes" to go. Admittedly, I do go overboard on the black swishes and chippings, and I often times have to go back and delete them using Mechrite Red. I will probably end up doing this on the two engines to match the overall weathering of the entire vehicle.

I also took the liberty to do the white markings by hand, just like my other vehicles. If you aren't privy to the idea of hand-painting sept/vehicle markings then I would just use the decals and paint over them to blend them in to the weathering. Regardless of which path you choose you still have to dirty up the white so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. To do this, I just got my brush almost dry and literally poked around with the tips of my bristles to create a stippling effect over the white to make it look chipped. I also added in some watered down Black/Badab Ink so it's not pure white next to pure black near the front stripes. It doesn't matter that much, though - because the final step is simply adding in Boltgun Metal chipping over some of the black swishes, which will draw your attention away from the white a little bit.

Here's some detail shots:

Just when I thought I was making some headway, I realized that I still have the Railgun and SMS Drones to paint up. :sad: Oh well. The next update should be the final or at least close to the final step of weathering, after that I have some lenses and the black areas to paint.

-Jord

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#39 » Aug 12 2008 07:31

Jordtron - very nice work, and the WIP shots are appreciated.

I have to say that I am currently trying to figure out my Tau colour scheme before I start hitting models with paint and your thread is seriously leading me towards the path of redness... :P

The other ideas I have are bone with lightish (faded) blue but red is certainly strong on my mind every time I look at this thread, you are purely evil! lol :fear:

I really look forward to seeing more of this cadre painted up, could you take a full army shot at some point? Do you (will you) have a themed board as well?

Jordtron
Shas

Post#40 » Aug 12 2008 10:23

shadowwalker wrote:Jordtron - very nice work, and the WIP shots are appreciated.

I have to say that I am currently trying to figure out my Tau colour scheme before I start hitting models with paint and your thread is seriously leading me towards the path of redness... :P

The other ideas I have are bone with lightish (faded) blue but red is certainly strong on my mind every time I look at this thread, you are purely evil! lol :fear:

I really look forward to seeing more of this cadre painted up, could you take a full army shot at some point? Do you (will you) have a themed board as well?

Thanks for the feedback!

I feel the pain of your color scheme predicament. I was in a similar position not too long ago. The good news about this scheme is that the Mechrite Red foundation paint color does a lot of the work for you, it's great. It is very easy to highlight, shade, and otherwise control/tweak to your liking.

I can do a group shot if you would like, but I only have my Commander, a Firewarrior squad, a Piranha, and my Hammerhead currently painted. My stuff isn't really that impressive compared to the size of some other armies on here. The next thing on the to-do list is the second squad of Firewarriors, and after those are done I think that it will start to look like an actual army...not just a combat patrol.

Next update should be within the next day or so! So stick around.

-Jord

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#41 » Aug 12 2008 10:47

I can do a group shot if you would like, but I only have my Commander, a Firewarrior squad, a Piranha, and my Hammerhead currently painted. My stuff isn't really that impressive compared to the size of some other armies on here. The next thing on the to-do list is the second squad of Firewarriors, and after those are done I think that it will start to look like an actual army...not just a combat patrol.

Jord, I fully appreciate quality over quantity!

I am currently working on a Thousand sons Chaos marine army that take upwards of 6 hours per figure to paint.
This is all I have (actually I lie, since these photos were taken I have another aspiring sorcerer and 4 more rubrics painted up. Currently working on a Sorcerer HQ on Screamer) to show for the many, many hours of work so far, but I'd much rather see these models that twice the number painted to a mediocre standard!

Don't mean to try and steal your limelight or anything, just proving the point that quality of models (and yours are all top notch stuff) is far more important to me than quantity. and it is always a nice thing to be able to pour over a small force of brilliant figures!

On a more related note, I made this up from one of your pics (hope you don't mind) to see what your same weathering style would look like in a muted brown tone. I think it looks rather nice and from my experiments last night airbrushing graveyard earth over black undercoat proved, would be terribly easy to get the base coats on! (on another side note , I sprayed some mecharite red onto my girlfriend's nails too [sprays well!], nice colour for nail polish! :P was also good practice at painting the nail without overbrushing to much into the skin, interesting)

Gimp is a brilliant little tool, must learn how to use it properly... I was thinking something like this with an off white stripe down the middle.

Jordtron
Shas

Post#42 » Aug 14 2008 05:08

Fourth step:

Now I get really friendly with Boltgun Metal. I begin by drybrushing areas where I want there to be a rough, chipped look (namely around plate panels and near the nose of the ship) and then go in and manually add in the "swishes" over the black "swishes." I do this all over the model, paying particular attention to the front of it, and how the intensity of the weathering on the front plays into the overall weathering of the rest of the ship, making sure I don't go overboard. If I do go overboard, a simple quick coat of Black/Badab Ink & Mechrite Red fixes it. Furthermore, if one area is "popping" too much as a result of the Boltgun Metal, I go over with several thinned coats of Black/Badab Ink to make them more subdued. I also do some fine line work by lining the edges of some panels with Boltgun Metal. Pretty much everything has gone over and had some weathering done to it at this point, minus the lenses and "exhaust" areas.

I also do my lenses now, after the weathering, so I am sure that nothing is covered with Boltgun Metal. I gotta have some clean areas to balance out the rough look, and I use my lens areas for that purpose of contrast. I start with a base coat of Dark Angels Green, then a 50/50 mix of Goblin Green & Dark Angels Green, then Goblin Green, then a final edge highlight of Scorpion Green. And of course the little dot of Skull White in the corner. After doing all these gems/lenses I've come to the sad conclusion that I really should have chosen Eldar as my army instead. :P

Some detail shots:

shadowwalker wrote:Jord, I fully appreciate quality over quantity!

I am currently working on a Thousand sons Chaos marine army that take upwards of 6 hours per figure to paint...Don't mean to try and steal your limelight or anything, just proving the point that quality of models (and yours are all top notch stuff) is far more important to me than quantity. and it is always a nice thing to be able to pour over a small force of brilliant figures!

You make a really good point here, shadowwalker - not to mention some good looking models! I've always been about quality over quantity (ironically enough I also used to play Deathwing) but finding the right medium between the two is the challenge for me at this point; to find an easy-to-paint method for an army with good results, and a roll out a decent amount of them in a reasonable amount of time is what I am trying to aim for. I am also looking forward to the next update on your painting blog!

Last up is the Railgun and SMS Drones, then the base! Until next time,

-Jord

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#43 » Aug 14 2008 05:43

Nice little update there Jord, I like how much that battle damage come into it's own when you painting the silver.

Your point about reaching a balance between brilliance and practical paint times is a good one, probably one I should look into more with the Chaos boys, currently progress is very slow! Mind you I wouldn't want half an army to a lesser standard either!

I tried out my new toy the other night - an airbrush with compressor. just undercoated a Stealth suit and I have to say I can see this really saving time, even if only on base coats and tanks! I definitely thing you should look into one though for the base coats of your vehicles, I have brushed on base coats for a few rhino chassis and a land raider and I can tell you its not something I EVER (nor should need to now) want to do again!
Airbrush is remarkably easy to use, just water the paints or get a thinner of some kind (even Windex works apparently) and gives much much smoother results than is even possible with a brush (well unless you want to paint 20+ coats!)

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment, and really struggling here to not jump the gun and launch into the Tau army now!
After I paint 1000pts of Thousand sons I think I can maybe treat myself to a squad and tank or two...

Sam.

Artemis360
Shas

Post#44 » Aug 15 2008 10:54

Sorry, don't laugh but are those 'special' basing stones or bog standard, back of the alley grit?
We were all noobs once.

Jordtron
Shas

Post#45 » Aug 15 2008 11:28

Artemis360 wrote:Sorry, don't laugh but are those 'special' basing stones or bog standard, back of the alley grit?

Why would anyone laugh? It's a valid question!

Each base is a 50/50 mix of Citadel modeling sand & small rock shards from the Citadel Basing Kit. The large rocks are also from the Citadel Basing kit. Hope that helps,

-Jord

Jordtron
Shas

Post#46 » Aug 16 2008 09:12

You'd think that since a majority of the model is painted that updates would be quicker - but sadly not the truth in my case. :?

Today I finished the Railgun and turret, and did some cleaning up on the model as a whole. I added in some white letting above the side entrance/exit ports on the hull to add some more white on it, which it desperately needed so it doesn't look like a giant metal tomato. I added a little bit of weathering along the base of the turret on the hull to tie it together with the actual turret itself. In retrospect, I will probably need to tone down the overall weathering on the model by about 10-15%. It's a little much in my opinion. What do you all think?

There is still one final thing I need to do to pull the model in with the rest of my army. More a cheesy gimmick than anything else, but necessary nonetheless. Here's the deal. I liked the idea of putting pilot call signs from "Top Gun" on my vehicles, I thought it would be a geeky little easter egg if someone could actually read Tau and was looking at my models. Since my Piranha had "Maverick" and "Goose" written in Tau alongside the cockpit (ref: here) I figured I'd paint "Jester" in Tau somewhere on the hull - but I am still uncertain where, exactly. I was thinking on the hatch on the turret. Any suggestions?

Last up are the SMS Drones (I hate painting those lil' buggers) and the base, then I'll be done! I suspect the next update will be the last regarding the Hammerhead...

-Jord

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#47 » Aug 16 2008 11:12

Jordtron wrote: In retrospect, I will probably need to tone down the overall weathering on the model by about 10-15%. It's a little much in my opinion. What do you all think?

Honestly, I don't think you need to tone it down at all. With all the action a HH sees, I think it would make sense to actually see more...maybe some battle damage (like the impact mark of a shell bouncing off the hull or something). Overall, I think it looks fantastic. This is one of my favorite threads. :)

Jordtron wrote: There is still one final thing I need to do to pull the model in with the rest of my army. More a cheesy gimmick than anything else, but necessary nonetheless. Here's the deal. I liked the idea of putting pilot call signs from "Top Gun" on my vehicles, I thought it would be a geeky little easter egg if someone could actually read Tau and was looking at my models. Since my Piranha had "Maverick" and "Goose" written in Tau alongside the cockpit (ref: here) I figured I'd paint "Jester" in Tau somewhere on the hull - but I am still uncertain where, exactly. I was thinking on the hatch on the turret. Any suggestions?

IIRC, US Navy pilots have their call sign printed just below the cockpit canopy. Since I've always pictured a HH pilot to be seated in a position to be looking out of the forward lens (the wide, narrow one front, center), I would be tempted to put the name to the right and left of that.

Very clever, by the way. A very nice finishing touch. :)

wisdom like silence
Shas

Post#48 » Aug 17 2008 03:06

Definitely don't tone down the weathering. It looks realistic and does an excellent job of setting your models apart from the plentiful cleanly-painted Tau out there.

Witheraf
Shas

Post#49 » Aug 17 2008 03:18

Looking good, Jordtron!
I really like this force. It just seems to look 'right'. Every model has character, every one is different. this I think is a by-product of the weathering you've done. I agree with Revrandom and WLS, don't tone it down! It's a farsight force anyway, they actually need weathering, IMO. If you really want to take a bit off, The front of your railhead would be the only place that it would really work for me.
Really looking forward to seeing more of this force, so keep up th fantastic work! :)
I won't not use double negatives...

Cadre Thread

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#50 » Aug 19 2008 05:40

Nice work mate, looks great with the head on and all! I have to echo everyone else's thoughts that the amount of weathering certainly does not need toning down. It looks great the way it is and I think it really suits the feel of this army. Besides, this is a hammerhead right, and what do people do to hammerheads? - Aim every available gun at them! :eek:

so, what is next on the painting slate?

Sorry, don't laugh but are those 'special' basing stones or bog standard, back of the alley grit?

Just in case this was directed towards me, and because it is a helpful hint anyway...
I use path gravel for all my larger stones on the bases of the Thousand sons, its the yellowish coloured stuff that you see all over the place (at least in Aus).
It is perfect because it has great texture at the right sort of scale and is soft for drilling as well, you could also use slate.
Certainly not a stupid question, IMO the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked...

So, Jordtron, where is that full force shot? :nice:

Jordtron
Shas

Post#51 » Aug 19 2008 09:36

Sorry for the lack of response, I've been in the process of moving. Thanks for the volume of feedback, it has helped me tremendously.

Next up on the assembly line are the drones and base for the Hammerhead. After that, I think it's time to go back to rank & file and paint up my second squad of Fire Warriors. I feel like with two squads it will feel more like an "army" than a "combat patrol" force. Rather than paint each model individually, I'm going to be trying to do the squad as a whole this time around so I don't struggle with cohesiveness that arises when I paint each model individually. We'll see how that goes.

You make a good point shadowwalker. In the two games I've played with my Hammerhead already, people tend to light it up with any and all types of fire. I suppose the ends justify the means in this case. In comparison to my Piranha, it just looks like it has a moderate amount more weathering on the hull.

Next update should be in a day or so. Once I finish the Hammerhead I think it'll be time for a "family photo." :)

-Jord

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#52 » Aug 19 2008 09:45

I think it'll be time for a "family photo.

Now *this* will be something seriously worth seeing. Is Great Aunt Lucy going to be in it? :P

(apologies, couldn''t resist it)

E.

NeoHunter
Shas

Post#53 » Aug 19 2008 09:46

Can't wait for that "family photo".

I really like the weathering effect.

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#54 » Sep 07 2008 11:56

Looking forward to the Family portrait Jord, what is next on the to-do list?

Return to “Galleries”