T'oturi's Tau: Updates 8-31-10, XV9's--pg 2 (Image Heavy)

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
paulson games
Shas

Re: My Tau "T'oturi's Chosen" Updated 2/24/09

Post#19 » Jul 26 2009 01:55

I really like the bold jade coloring, nice clean lines and lenses. I particuarly like the banner and tabard on the new HQ suit.

I take by the user name you used to play L5R?

As a long time Dragon play and the former Toturi's Army clan champion I fully support such cross overs ;)

Which is what I'd been thinking of when I started the theme for my T'goshai sept.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Arkion
Shas

Post#20 » Jul 27 2009 05:49

I have to say I really like this.

First, you have a great color scheme. The blue-green compliments the orange spectacularly well.

Second, they're very well painted. Lots of attention to detail, and lots of skill with a brush!

Third, it's very original. I don't think I've seen one quite like this before, though I've certainly seen some that have been close. You've taken the color scheme and made it your own.

The bases are well thought out and subtle, neither distracting from the model nor too bare.

Wonderful army. It'd be a pleasure to game against these!

T'oturi
Shas

Post#21 » Jun 17 2010 02:13

Hopefully this doesn't qualify as "thread necromancy," but then again I am back from the dead.

It's been a busy year, but I finally ended up with some downtime to get some figures painted.

First off: My roommate's dog got a hold of my original Farsight model. I did the best I could to salvage parts and I built a brand new one, which I'm happy with. He's not quite finished yet, but I was hoping to get some suggestions from the community on areas to improve. Once I figure out exactly how I want to finish the back-banner and loin-cloth I'll get some new pictures up:

Next is a new commander I've been running in games. I changed my original color scheme around for this guy so he'd stand out.

Finally, my first completed Broadside team (it only took me 3 years):

Thanks for looking! Hit me with suggestions!

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: T'oturi's Tau: Updates pg. 2

Post#22 » Jun 17 2010 06:40

Hey T'oturi, you're always allowed to resurrect your own threads, particularly when you are adding such quality stuff. Condolences for your poor chewed Farsight but now you have this awesome one to use right?

I love your vibrant scheme and the weathering is superbly done. There is a fair bit there but you've still managed to keep it subtle. Am I correct in assuming that two of the broadsides don not have any weathering though? They actually look slightly out of place alongside the other suits without any noticeable weathering.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#23 » Jun 19 2010 06:27

Truly inspiring work! I like what you've done with Farsights sword; it really looks like he can reach out and touch someone now. I really don't have many suggestions since I think it is really well done. But maybe you can try crafting some shoulder pads? I've seen people use the engine casing from a SM Jump Pack before and it works great in my opinion.

The Broadsides looks fantastic! I love your color scheme and I really think these guys are perfectly done. Your new Commander is also amazing. The colors work perfectly and the added bitz fit together seamlessly. You have made me want to go out and buy some of those Landraider optics!

T'oturi
Shas

Post#24 » Jun 22 2010 08:11

Dal'yth Mont'sha wrote:I love your vibrant scheme and the weathering is superbly done. There is a fair bit there but you've still managed to keep it subtle. Am I correct in assuming that two of the broadsides do not have any weathering though? They actually look slightly out of place alongside the other suits without any noticeable weathering.

The Broadside on the left is over a year old. The other two were painted a couple weeks ago. I'm going to add some yellow and white trim to the one of the left, and weathering to the two newer ones. That way they look more like a unit.

My excuse, however, is that the two on the right are just off the production lines and they have yet to see combat.

Wolfs16 wrote:Truly inspiring work! I like what you've done with Farsights sword; it really looks like he can reach out and touch someone now. I really don't have many suggestions since I think it is really well done. But maybe you can try crafting some shoulder pads? I've seen people use the engine casing from a SM Jump Pack before and it works great in my opinion.

Do you have any examples of that style shoulder pad? I haven't heard of using SM jump packs before.

Thanks for looking guys!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#25 » Jun 22 2010 08:21

Here is a link to Jordtrons Tau. He used a piece from the jumpack on the right shoulder. I think it adds a nice look, without being too bulky.

T'oturi
Shas

Post#26 » Aug 31 2010 10:18

Updates!

I can't stop painting Battlesuits. I really can't. Here are 3 more Crisis suits and 3 BC-variant Hazards.

What I have left to paint:
1x Fireknife
2x Helios
3x TL-Flamer Suits
8x Pathfinders
10x Kroot
10x Kroot Hounds
1x Hammerhead
1x Skyray
2x Piranha
...and more drones than I care to count.

Hopefully I'll finish out the Cadre within the next year.

Fireknives

Helios

XV-90 Hazards

Not too happy with the pose on this one:

This is by far my favorite:

C&C welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: T'oturi's Tau: Updates 8-31-10, XV9's--pg 2 (Image Heavy)

Post#27 » Sep 02 2010 10:39

Wow! Those suits look great! The XV9's look so heavily armored it fits perfectly into their rules. As for the other suits, the paint job and posing really brings them to life and fits them into your cadre seamlessly. I wish I had more to add, but you are making fantastic progress!

What do you use to take pictures, a light box? I always admired the quality of your photo's. Soon I will be taking a whole cadre picture, but I don't know how to get good lighting for such a large force. How do you achieve the clearly lit look you have?

T'oturi
Shas

Re: T'oturi's Tau: Updates 8-31-10, XV9's--pg 2 (Image Heavy)

Post#28 » Sep 04 2010 01:29

I actually don't own a photo/light-box. My photo set-up is essentially:

A milk-crate
White, flat, computer paper
An Ott-light
A good overhead light source
Tape

Basically, I tape the paper to a table and the outside edge of a milk-crate so that it has a nice gradual slope, and I repeat until the white background is solid and I've covered a large enough area to cover the field of view in the camera. I use a UV light bulb over-head and I do source lighting with an Ott-light (true-color white light bulb). Then I adjust as needed to get the effect desired.

It's very "jank" and simple to set up, but I find it works really well. If you want a picture of the set up just let me know.

Ott-lights can be found at:

http://www.ottlite.com/

Thank you for the comments, and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Return to “Galleries”