Thousand Sons Chaos Themed Force Project

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
shadowwalker
Shas

Thousand Sons Chaos Themed Force Project

Post#1 » Aug 13 2008 08:44

Thought it was High time I added a "blog" style army log for my Thousand sons on here.
I will update this first post with new pics of units as they are completed

I will add all the finished models as they roll off the production line.
A warning, it will take a while between updates! - these guys paint up slow!

So to start things off. Here is the first squad of Rubrics and the Aspiring sorcerer leading them:

And the five Lesser daemons painted so far:

Currently am working on the next squad which is just legal sized now (that's four rubrics and aspiring sorcerer).
Here is the second squad thus far:

I have to say with these models taking 6hours+ per model to paint I am getting sick of "basic marines" (if you can call 20 odd point models "basic"), so I will be allot happier when, after the last four models are complete in this squad, I can move onto some more interesting models like the Forgeworld Dreadnought and a slightly converted Vindicator.

So here is a full army shot thus far: (EDIT: must get a new shot showing updated army.)

The screamer model is being used as a mount for my sorcerer, disc of Tzeentch. One day I might paint a full squad of them though as count as raptors, they could add in allot of useful close combat ability to the army without going out of character that way.

UPDATE:
Here is the sorcerer lord mounted on his screamer. Having got to this stage I will be playing a little more on him just to get him looking "right" currently there are a few bits I am not happy with on him. Also these pics do show the base incomplete, I will upload fresh images once the lord has been "tweaked".

C&C are highly valued!

Sam.
Last edited by shadowwalker on Aug 24 2008 06:43, edited 2 times in total.

Projectda
Shas

Re: The Ongoing Army Project - Thousand Sons Chaos Themed Force

Post#2 » Aug 13 2008 09:56

i love the colors. one of my other armies will be a TS list. what did you use?
Ab Aeterno Solitarious Angelus

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 13 2008 10:38

For the marines:

1. Armour - Wet blended between colours, one application each
a) Regal blue over black undercoat
b) Enchanted blue Highlight
c) Ice blue Top highlight
Optional) White edge highlight on key features (like sorcerer's face)

2. Yellow
a) Vomit brown
b) Custom mix shade colour, Vomit Brown, Chaos Black, Liche Purple
c) Re-apply Vomit Brown
d) Bleached bone
e) White top highlight

3. Metallic
a) Base coat Chainmail (silver)
b) Custom mix shade colour: black (mostly), purple ink, brown ink, tad of Hawk Turquoise
c) ~70/30 mix of Burnished Gold, Chainmail [Leave this step out for the "silver" bits]
d) Chainmail highlights (thin pain so previous colour shows through, you are lightening it, not making it silver
e) Mithril silver top edge highlight

4. Green
a) Base coat Dark angles green
b) Wet blend goblin green
c) " White/Golbin green
d) Almost Pure white top highlight
e) Blend in with DA green "juices"* - This is also how "glow" effects have been achieved, just "juicing" over previously highlighted areas.

*Juices are just very thinned pain, paint with very, very little on your brush.

Really hope this helps someone! :D:D

Shattered Spear
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 14 2008 07:44

Shadowwalker,

Your paintjob on both squads is incredible! :eek: If there is any chance that you have some more Marines to paint and could show us how you use the juices to make the highlights pop, I think it would help a lot of folks out (me in particular, as I have always struggled with making highlights realistic).
I really like the lesser daemons as well, but I don't think I have ever seen them before. Are the FW?

minamoto
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 14 2008 08:10

How long took it to paint the MarineSquad? They look so brilliant :eek: , i think i would need 7hours per marine. :-(

Jordtron
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 14 2008 08:56

Shadowwalker,

Those minis are absolutely stunning. As you said in my army blog, I would rather see 1-2 squads painted in this regard than an army of mediocre-standard miniatures. Even though they're taking upwards of 6+ hours to paint each, you can't argue with the results! The highlighting is super smooth, and the colors are incredibly vibrant. Don't worry about updates being slow, we all have commitments in real life, and these minis take a long time to fine tune all their details. You are doing a superb job, so keep it up!

-Jord

P.S. ~ Oh yes, and thank you for posting in my army blog-type thread as well. Much appreciated.

mearleycf
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 14 2008 09:08

They look incredible, great job. Really. Best thousand sons I've ever seen.

One comment--because your loin clothes are the same color as your bases, it's causing an eye tracking issue, where when you're looking at the loin cloth, your eye goes down into the base, instead of up into the model. You might want to think about a different color for your loin clothes (or bases, but I think it's easier to re-paint your loin clothes).

Personally, I'd have no desire to repaint them, and just accept it as is :) But I thought I'd provide that feedback.

You might be able to get away with something as simple as washing the bases with one of the GW washes--maybe one of the reddish-brown ones--to get a color variation on the bases. Would take no time, wouldn't affect your bases' highlighting any, and would differentiate easily.

Or leave them as is, they're still incredible.

Joek
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 14 2008 10:50

Followed your TS on Ozpainters, and they still look wonderful. Bases work perfectly as well.

Cire Mont'yr
Fio

Post#9 » Aug 14 2008 12:04

That is looking pretty awesome i must say. However, on the horrors, I'd suggest painting their teeth white, their teeth and eyes kind of get lost in the black areas and I find it a bit hard on the eyes. I think it would really make them "pop".

Happy Painting

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 14 2008 03:44

Your paintjob on both squads is incredible! :eek: If there is any chance that you have some more Marines to paint and could show us how you use the juices to make the highlights pop, I think it would help a lot of folks out (me in particular, as I have always struggled with making highlights realistic).
I really like the lesser daemons as well, but I don't think I have ever seen them before. Are the FW?

Thank you for the compliment!
Now to answer your questions... I will be painting another four rubrics up within the next four weeks or so, they take that long though because as I said before, these take 6+ hours EACH to complete. :)

I will write a little something on "Wet blending" - the technique primarily used on these for the ATT forums while I paint these last four rubrics.
As for "juicing" next time I am painting a sword or other glowy thing I can take WIP shots f how I do it. JUICING in its "purest" form is much discussed by our (Australia's) Sebastian Archer, he wrote an article on it here (everyone bookmark this site, its fabulous) which I feel really opens ones eyes to the world of exquisite miniature painting! - Anything I wrote would only be a watering of Seb's own description. I fond you don't NEED to water the paint quite as much as he does to get results, but his results are undeniably better than mine!

Followed your TS on Ozpainters, and they still look wonderful. Bases work perfectly as well.

Thank you Joek, your comments are much appreciated!

They look incredible, great job. Really. Best thousand sons I've ever seen.

One comment--because your loin clothes are the same color as your bases, it's causing an eye tracking issue, where when you're looking at the loin cloth, your eye goes down into the base, instead of up into the model. You might want to think about a different color for your loin clothes (or bases, but I think it's easier to re-paint your loin clothes).

Thank you mearleycf.
For the bases/loin cloth, they are only subtlety different in tone and this was intentional to bring a union to the figures and base and sort of "ground" these otherwise almost ethereal looking marines! It has been commented this is a bad thing, but I have also had comments from very highly respected painting corners that it does exactly what I intended it to, overall I think I'll leave them, though I may go back over with some freehand some day...

Those minis are absolutely stunning. As you said in my army blog, I would rather see 1-2 squads painted in this regard than an army of mediocre-standard miniatures. Even though they're taking upwards of 6+ hours to paint each, you can't argue with the results! The highlighting is super smooth, and the colors are incredibly vibrant. Don't worry about updates being slow, we all have commitments in real life, and these minis take a long time to fine tune all their details. You are doing a superb job, so keep it up!

Thank you Jord, for taking the time to look and post through my own "blog" thread! You are also doing a superb job of your Tau, perhaps one day we can manage a game? ;)

How long took it to paint the MarineSquad? They look so brilliant :eek: , i think i would need 7hours per marine. :-(

minamoto - You obviously didn't manage to read my description! :P These took 6+ hours per miniature. The first squad (the one shown) took longer due to learning how to paint this way. (These are the first models I have "wet blended")

That is looking pretty awesome i must say. However, on the horrors, I'd suggest painting their teeth white, their teeth and eyes kind of get lost in the black areas and I find it a bit hard on the eyes. I think it would really make them "pop".

Cire Mont'yr - Argh! This one never fully slips by!
I agree with you fully. These models were painted quickly as I was running out of my alloted time to paint them (This army is being painted alongside 3 others {by other people, I'm not THAT crazy!} where I have given us all allotted time periods to paint set points limits and play games in a campaign). I left the teeth black and only highlighted slightly in grey. I will eventually get back to the horrors and repaint the teeth with something that stands out though, I was thinking of using the same glowy green...
The eyes are a bright glowing green, but due to their size can get lost some...

I am very glad so many people have commented and, picked these to bits! (seriously, its great to get that "bashing" online, it really helps to improve)

Thank you very much, I will post with pics of the next 4 rubrics and second aspiring sorcerer withing the next two days, given time for photos!

Sam.

minamoto
Shas

Post#11 » Aug 15 2008 08:46

shadowwalker wrote:minamoto - You obviously didn't manage to read my description! :P These took 6+ hours per miniature. The first squad (the one shown) took longer due to learning how to paint this way. (These are the first models I have "wet blended")

Well, actually i have read your description in the "Wheatered Farsight Cadre" Thread ^^, but after posting here.
If you say you need 6+ then i'll need 14+. For my Sniper Drone Team i needed about 6-8 hours for the drones and another 4-6h for the controller but they are just red and brown and only 4 minis.... Maybe i can get a few pics up soon.

...I had a question to you but i don't know it anymore... ohh... my brain... is a mess. :dead:

Askaris
Shas

Post#12 » Aug 15 2008 10:50

Quite frankly, both squads are incredible. The colours you chose for the the Rubric marines and sorceror give them a bright yet archaic look, as though their armour is antiquated yet still well maintained. The colours blend smoothly into one another, making a beautiful gradient on the armour. The shadows give a great sense of depth, and the robes look suitably well worn. Overall, utterly brilliant marines!

Onto the Horrors: You mentioned that you painted them quickly, but the colour scheme you chose is far better at representing creatures that are "pure chaos unbound" than the one chosen by 'Eavy Metal. Each one of them looks like a ghostly creature fading in and out from realspace, which suits the Tzeentchian tendecy towards sorcery and magic down to the ground. To be honest, I don't think they really need the teeth to be painted, they look perfect as they stand.

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 15 2008 08:21

Quite frankly, both squads are incredible. The colours you chose for the the Rubric marines and sorceror give them a bright yet archaic look, as though their armour is antiquated yet still well maintained. The colours blend smoothly into one another, making a beautiful gradient on the armour. The shadows give a great sense of depth, and the robes look suitably well worn. Overall, utterly brilliant marines!

It is posts like this that really make me happy, not for the praise, but for the comments of how they look. This was exactly the look I was trying for, which means I managed to pull it off in other's eyes, higher praise does not exist!
I wanted overall the look of sorcery and age to these models. I also wanted to move the marines away form the standard scheme of too dark blue and overly bright contrasting yellow and gold.

Onto the Horrors: You mentioned that you painted them quickly, but the colour scheme you chose is far better at representing creatures that are "pure chaos unbound" than the one chosen by 'Eavy Metal. Each one of them looks like a ghostly creature fading in and out from realspace, which suits the Tzeentchian tendecy towards sorcery and magic down to the ground. To be honest, I don't think they really need the teeth to be painted, they look perfect as they stand.

The daemons in this force lend themselves to being painted quickly DUE to the colours used. All of the main colours blend smoothly into each other because they are at a base level similar. Blue fades to purples which have blue it it, and this makes the blending work easy! To this end the painting of these was quite simple, watered down paints and just painting over existing colours, starting from the purple and working out (lighter purple and blues). only a bit of feathering was needed to smooth the transitions.
I am glad you like the colours chosen, I chose them specifically to be different and to bring across the dark, evil look to them. To my mind the GW colours are too garish and bright, it might suit the idea of Tzeentch to have light pastel colours, but to me it does not accurately portray the evil and malice, I think mine do better.
Mine give the Tzeentch look by using high contrast and wildly changing colours which don't actually follow meaning (blue is used here and there, but not always following a pattern).

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#14 » Aug 15 2008 11:02

Double post, but I added images of the second squad and a full "army" shot.

A question for mods too, is the gallery only used for Tau projects? I thought that would be a more obvious place to put a painted models only thread (after all, regardless of army, tips and skills can still be picked up for painting and modeling)...

Orange-Bell
Por'O
Por'O

Post#15 » Aug 18 2008 10:57

My jaw is on the floor, very nice and inspiring work.

I believe the galleries are for Tau only.

Though are you going to do the mouths and teeth of the horrors? They're my favourite part of the models, and I think it would be a shame not to have them stand out.
O-B

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#16 » Aug 18 2008 11:17

The Galleries are indeed for Tau only, but exceptions are made for exceptional work.

E.

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 18 2008 07:26

My jaw is on the floor, very nice and inspiring work.

I believe the galleries are for Tau only.

Though are you going to do the mouths and teeth of the horrors? They're my favourite part of the models, and I think it would be a shame not to have them stand out.

I count the mouths on these as a failed experiment :P Yes I will be going back over them to pick them out more obviously when I do the other four members of the squad (makes sense to do them all at once). For now they are fine for gaming models though.

The Galleries are indeed for Tau only, but exceptions are made for exceptional work.

Thank you eiglepulper, I count this further move as a high honour indeed!

I will endeavour to update this thread as often as possible and try to answer any and all questions directed my way regarding any aspect of these models.
I already have a planned tute for the painting of these models using the wet blending technique and an idea of how best to push across the concept, so hopefully I can write up something to help anyone wanting to try this technique. This will be written up once I start on the next four Rubrics in the second squad, who will be coming shortly as I am nearing completion of the HQ sorcerer "lord". (only metallics and details to go now!)

shadowwalker
Shas

Post#18 » Aug 24 2008 06:45

Updated with images of the almost complete sorcerer lord.

Return to “Galleries”