[Showcase] 'When We Were Shas'la' Challenge

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

[Showcase] 'When We Were Shas'la' Challenge

Post#1 » Aug 01 2009 05:30

Advanced Tau Tactica Modelling & Painting Challenge
Official contact Shas'El Tael

Amidst every army there is a warrior. Fire is but a caress to them, even deadly projectiles seemingly pass about their frame despite the heaviest of fighting. They lead into the maw where most would feel but the fangs. Cool, calculating, completely calm. When we say Shas'la, it is warriors like these that we recall.

The Challenge for this particular event, is to model a single piece for at most, two of the varied categories. We're talking the standard trooper. No fancy suits. You need to make this particular individual notable by way of posing or trademark embellishment, a true character. Yet remain very much a front line Shas'la.

Objective :
Model and Paint a single warrior from any unit in the Tau Empire, that does not involve a Tau Battlesuit or vehicle. These entries will be judged by the ATT Membership to nominate a single Best Entry for each category. There will also be a Best Overall Entry that shall be awarded an ATT themed Caste Avatar of the winner's choosing. If a category has less than five entries, the pieces will only be showcased. However in such an event, they will remain in the running for Best Overall.

The Categories Are:
Firewarrior, Pathfinder, Tank Commander, Kroot, Kroot Shaper, Vespid, Vespid Strain Leader, Auxiliary, and Ethereal Honor Guard.

Category : Best of the Firewarrior Shas'la

ENTRY 1
ImageImageImage
Female Shas'la
The Shas’la in question proved her worth during battle by capturing the Leman Russ “Blaze of Fury” using much initiative and daring. It was then turned on the rest of the Imperials, and she was subsequently invited into the witnessing Ethereal’s Honour Guard.

ENTRY 2
ImageImageImage
Shas'la Wa'rh'ound
Born during the 2nd Expansion of the greater Tau empire. Coming from an unusual stock of mixed Caste (earth and air), Wa'rh'ound quickly attained the rank of Shas'la. After quickly becoming adept at 'painting' targets with his marker light, he now continues to work on the front line training and supporting other 'la, even though he has passed his 2nd trial by fire.

ENTRY 3
ImageImageImage
Shas'la
Before the advent of touch-fuse technology, users of the now antiquated Tau grenades sometimes used their teeth to remove faulty pin mechanisms.

ENTRY 4
ImageImageImage
Shas'la Elan'ka
During a mission Shas'la Elan'ka was seperated from his fellow firewarriors, alone he faught against the cruel animals of the planet. During one battle with the animals he lost the antenna of his helmet which he later repaired by taking an antenna from a fallen battlesuit. This gave his com-set a greater range and helped him to find his lost unit again.

ENTRY 5
ImageImageImage
Shas'La
Kept it fairly simple. Quick swap of the pulse rifle for the pulse carbine. Mod to left arm to hold helmet.

ENTRY 6
ImageImageImage
After Action Report
This young Shas was much cleverer then his fellow Shas'La. Instead of reporting to the Command-Center after arriving at their firebase, he decided to report to the kitchen. After presenting proud his bowl to the Kitchen-Kor'Vesa, his mood rapidly got bad. "Again this Pea-soup?!" he thought. But then he discovered the untouched Sushi. "Shas'O Eigle must haven't reported to the base yet." he thought.

ENTRY 7
ImageImageImage
After proving herself to be a ferocious warrior after many victories, including the destruction of the Genestealer infestation on Mir’amex and the fighting retreat she orchestrated after the disaster of the Stor’lar Incident, Fio scientists developing XV-0 advanced body armor on the Tanis research and development labs though she would be a perfect candidate to test the armor.

ENTRY 8
ImageImageImage
Cut off from supply lines, a Bork'an cadre is tasked to fortify and defend the polar region of Forg'Xi Valo VII. Alternate freezing and melting of snow and ice make it impossible to keep dry. Broken equipment and crowded, damp living conditions allow sickness and disease to fester. With reinforcements unavailable, a Shas'La takes a quiet moment to invoke the blessings of the Ethereals.

ENTRY 9
ImageImageImage
Ahhh,.... I remember the first time my helm got shot off my head. Back when I was still a Shas'La. I know, they are made to impact like that, but it never feels good. I had to tear the left half off as I ran for cover, still got a scar on my scalp even. Armor Saves Boys!

ENTRY 10
ImageImageImage
Shas'la Sa'cea H'otsh'ot
Showing the Gue'la his opinion of the Immortal God Emperor. Lucky for him, he never got hit by a lasgun while doing this.

ENTRY 11
ImageImageImage
Shas’La M’kais
M’kais served with Shassera in the Eastern Wars proceeding the Third Sphere. M’kais wears a suit of reinforced line armour with multiple redundant systems that allow him to operate in extremely hostile environments such as radiated, chemical, and toxic zones, even the hide of a mega-organism Y’he vessel. His, and his teams, mission was to secure entry/withdrawal sites for XV sabotage teams.

ENTRY 12
ImageImageImage
Shas’La He’kon
He’kon joined the ranks of Aun’Rrhe during the defence of Pinnacle Base on Asphyr II during the final days of the Third Sphere. He’kon, like the rest of his unit, sports experimental armour that possesses a low-level shield generator and an advanced communications pack in order to provide maximum protection to the Ethereal he is charged with protecting.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: 'When We Were Shas'la' Gallery : [Voting Begins August 2nd]

Post#2 » Aug 01 2009 05:32

Category : Best of the Firewarrior Shas'Ui

ENTRY 13
ImageImageImage
Shas Ui Tau'shan Ore's Sa'las
Crouching in position just prior to ambushing an Imperial ammunition convoy. Shas Ui Sa'las proudly carries a Bonding knife that his team had used when they performed the Ta'lissera bonding ritual just prior to the start of the Taros campaign.

ENTRY 14
ImageImageImage
Kais Mont'yr
A young upstart from Vior’La, he had been granted control of a special ops team by his mentor Commander Puretide, taking his own colours with the honour. The Shas’Ui carries unconventional weapons, gifts from a Kroot Shaper named Leth’na who taught him the bloodthirsty nature of true combat. Lessons that will serve him well when he faces the Ork scum in the Damocles Gulf...

ENTRY 15
ImageImageImage
T'gosahi Shas'Ui
T'gosahi sept Firewarrior Shas'ui with pulse rifle and bonding knife. T'goshai knives are used in ritualized combat, worn by seasoned warriors as symbols of rank (similar to samurai katana). Their garb is influenced by their heavy make up of earth and water caste members and extensive contact with a neighbouring human warrior culture that they often use as auxiliary troops.

ENTRY 16
ImageImageImage
Shas'ui Lor'Ty'n
Honoured warrior of the ork wars on sept world Nel'tatun. Killed in the line of deuty holding off an ork squad long enough for his cadre to win the day.

ENTRY 17
ImageImageImage
Shas'Ui D'ynoi M'yen Sha
This is Shas'Ui D'ynoi M'yen Sha with Pulserifle, bonding knife and "hard-wired" drone controller. If I do not attach any drone to the squad, the drone controller will depict a technical device a Shas'Ui definitely will need.
In city fights Shas'Ui M'yen Sha's squad excel with their shorter muzzled Pulsrifle. To clean a building room by room is a hard job. Just right for a hard veteran.

ENTRY 18
ImageImageImage
Shas'ui D'ynoi Kha'Vash
A stealth field generator and three drones each armed with a rail rifle are fine, but it was the weight of his pulse pistol that gave Shas'ui D'ynoi Kha'Vash the feeling that he has everything under control.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Aug 01 2009 05:33

Category : Best of the Kroot

ENTRY 19
ImageImageImage
a young Kroot Shaper meditating about Live, the Universe and Everything. Oh, and what to eat next. The Tau granted him a Pulse-Carabine for his Services to the Empire.

ENTRY 20
ImageImageImage
Shaper Gi'o-Dan Es'Jul
Shaper Gi'o-Dan Es'Jul was produced of this Gi'oka Kindred's excursions into the wars of Man. Gi'o is his Kindreds Shaman of Archeology, breed larger to carry equipment and collect artifacts, and on Liaison to the Tau. Gi'o currently collects ancient Squat Musket rifles, which Kroot use as pistols. Tau Fire caste frown on the reliance on these powder loaders.

ENTRY 21
ImageImageImage
Leth'Na
Youthful, fiery and desperate to prove himself. Leth'na’s Kindred were attached to a Cadre from Vior’la led by Shas'Ui Kais Mont’yr. He taught the Tau warrior the savage dance of combat. He learned to respect the weapons of the Fire Caste. When the Tau departed for the Damocles Gulf, they exchanged weapons and gifts which both carry today.

ENTRY 22
ImageImageImage
Armor, check. Kroot Rifle, check. Knife, check. Sniper Rifle, check. Backup Pistol, check. Ammunition, check. Grenades, check. Combat foot-blades, check. I don't believe in going into combat unprepared, especially in the snow and ice

ENTRY 23
ImageImageImage
Shaper Nash'kuf'nu
Leading his carnivore squad on a heroic charge to free Aun'el Tuthlan and his bodyguard from ork commandos. His bravery cost him his squad, but through it he saved the day.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#4 » Aug 01 2009 05:34

All Entry Showcase

ENTRY 24
ImageImageImage
Anashri Hunter
The genetically enhanced Anashri are a race unflinchingly loyal to the Tau; crediting them with rescuing their creators from a terrible disease. Equipped with poisoned blade, plasma based pistol and powerful explosives, Anashri are utilized to engage in ambushes and gorilla warfare. An experimental stealth harness enables the Anashri to get as close to their targets as possible before unleashing their deadly attacks.

ENTRY 25
ImageImage
Thermal Fire Warrior armor
Fire Warriors of the Bork’an sept fighting in Arctic climates have been recently given special armor. This armor remains durable and keeps the fire warrior warm by replacing layers or armor plating with thick fabric that retains as much precious heat as possible while still being able to repel shots. This fire warrior also totes a MK II Pulse Rifle.

ENTRY 26
ImageImageImage
Shas'la Oni Savon, of Pathfinder Squad Monk'ka.
La’Savon is nearing the end of his first Trial-by-fire. Serving his Sept, Ksi’m’yen, in 6 battles, he is to be promoted to Shas’ui upon his return to his homeworld. His promotion is being awarded due to his consistent successful designation of threats during the battles he has served in, primarily against the Gue’la defenders of the eastern fringe.

ENTRY 27
ImageImageImage
Basic Tank Commander from the Devilfish kit. Reworked the arms. Right arm straightened and sculpted hand to point. Shoulders built up to reposition arms a bit wider. Scratch built some goggles mounted on his forehead.

ENTRY 28
ImageImageImage
Tor'El
Many seasons have past since To'rel was sent to this wild volcanic world, not many creatures live here but the few ones that lurk around lava craters and seas of ashes have to be documented and located. But it's not only about meltaspiders and lava worms what it's all about, those imperial miners and the soldiers who guard them got to embrace the Greater Good...

ENTRY 29
Pe'noi'ya
Pe'noi'ya is a great hero of the Sa'cea ocupation, it is also roumoured that he had a hand in the design of the Tau night fight camouflage.

ENTRY 30
ImageImageImage
The Kroot for my Star Wars-army are made to look like the wingless Geonosian worker-class from the movies. Legs, hands and weapons are from Kroot, with Genestealer claws and fingers. Upper body and arms from 'Gaunts and head made of Kneadatite.

ENTRY 31
ImageImageImage
Sometimes, the tactics of the hunted can be used by the hunter.

Joek
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 01 2009 05:38

What a fantastic array of figures. Some very inspiring and original stuff going on here, and there are definitely some things which I'll be pilfering for my stuff :D

The voting is going to be very difficult I reckon.

paulson games
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 01 2009 05:45

There's some really great work in here guys, I'm going to have to think on the voting for a bit as there's a lot of good pieces to mull over.

Well done!
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Serak
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 01 2009 06:04

Wow. These were some cool minis! O_O Good luck everyone!
With so many good ideas I think I will do some serious converting with my next unit! :P

Lol. NOW I realize that I don't have a single picture showing the front of the model. XD
Last edited by Serak on Aug 01 2009 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

Fraggle
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Aug 01 2009 06:52

Now I see the rest of the entries.... I wish I'd spent more time on mine. :-(

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 01 2009 07:30

Fraggle wrote:Now I see the rest of the entries.... I wish I'd spent more time on mine. :-(

You are me both lol.

I also wish that I'd entered one of my Kroot aswell, but being a total Mech head I completely forgot about Bob the Kroot !

Oh well, maybe next time lol

minamoto
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 01 2009 08:48

This makes me smile like a squig! there are very good and inspiring entries beneath and very creative ones aswell - kudos, to everybody!

I wished I had spent more time on mine too. For example, to paint the base-trim black - doh!

PsyBomb
Por

Post#11 » Aug 01 2009 09:15

Wow... Ok, so this competition is going to be significantly harder than I thought...

Awesome models, everyone!
Snow Forces of T'olku (W/L/D) 3/4/2

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Aug 01 2009 11:27

Wow... Ok, so this competition is going to be significantly harder than I thought...

It is being run on one of the most creative Tau forums on the internet, so ..yah think? ;) :P

Great stuff, such variety of ideas and approaches to various models.

~ Tael.

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Aug 01 2009 11:35

Shas'El Tael wrote:

It is being run on one of the most creative Tau forums on the internet, so ..yah think? ;) :P

Great stuff, such variety of ideas and approaches to various models.

~ Tael.

I just really wish that I had my idea for Snake Tau'skin about a week ago ! I'm going to be making him a reality err.... starting now ! ;)

Miraclefish
Fio

Post#14 » Aug 01 2009 11:37

Wow, fantastic stuff guys.

I may have been a bit subtle - if anyone guesses who my Shas grows up to be (there are many clues!) then I'll give you a nice, shiny biscuit!

Farsight. - Fraggle
An idle mind walks in dark places

russ29
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Aug 01 2009 01:32

Darn it Fraggle, you spoilt me! :D

Anyway, awesome contest! Congrats to everyone who took part. As I always said, it is not the result, but the process in which we learn and grow. And thanks a whole lot for giving me some inspiration I might never use, but nevertheless, it was a worthwhile experience to see the product. :)

And all the best to all!
Through unity, devastation

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Aug 01 2009 01:44

Wow. Lots of great stuff here. My top 3 would have to be....Shas'la Wa'rh'ound, for a great model and paint job, my own (call me arrogant but I am really proud of her), and the samurai one. That is simply amazing...I have always loved the samurai-ness of Tau, and this is just amazing. I think I am going to steal that, only replace the pants with something akin to a Star Wars kama.

Great entries everywhere! May the best shas'la win!

PS I like how the banner days 'When We Weae Shas'la'

Actually, it says 'When we weae Sha'la.... - F
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

_T'Owel_
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 01 2009 04:32

Shas'El Tael wrote:...
ENTRY 31
[img]..Sometimes, the tactics of the hunted can be used by the hunter.

Shas'El Tael wrote:We're talking the standard trooper. No fancy suits.

*ahem* Forgot your own rules, eh? :eek:

EDIT: This is not my vote and image 3 won't load.
EDIT : No Image 3.. shall delete that reference. - Tael.
pity the fool who don't leave his tea to brew for 5 mins

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#18 » Aug 01 2009 05:22

Fantastic work everyone! Some of those entries blow me away! I think it's funny how you can tell the creators of some of these pieces by the lighting they use regularly. It's kind if like that persons hand writting! :D

I'm excited for the voting, so may the best man win!

Oh and Brokensword, you HAVE to do that conversion! I think that would make an awesome avatar!

Return to “Galleries”