The Tok'ahn Sept - My Tau Army WIP

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Freeloader
Shas

The Tok'ahn Sept - My Tau Army WIP

Post#1 » Oct 27 2010 11:06

Hi, all!

Being the narcissistic ego-vampire that I am, I present to you: The TOK'AHN SEPT!

Fire Warriors

Shas O'Cyr'N - Commander Everbleed

XV8 Crisis Suit

XV88 Broadside

XV25 Stealth Suits

Kroot Carnivores

Kroot Shaper

Pathfinders

Devilfish (WIP)

Enjoy!
Last edited by Freeloader on Oct 29 2010 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
People should laugh everyday

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: The Tok'ahn Sept - My Tau Army WIP

Post#2 » Oct 28 2010 05:32

Gorgeous work man. Always liked your Pathfinders, intending to do the cloak thing myself at some stage because of that idea. The Kroot Shaper is suitably brooding, and the array of small mods to the Firewarriors are the sort of subtle touches I like to do. The bandana on the Kroot Shaper really is a good eye catching part.

I hit you up about your painting earlier, and well.. there is your new article ;)

Great work, solid photos, thanks for posting the Cadre as a whole!

- Tael.

Freeloader
Shas

Post#3 » Oct 28 2010 05:50

Thanks!

I get a lot of thumbs up for the Pathfinder cloaks. It's really quite simple, actually. Take an ordinary porcelain plate or bowl and put some water in it, then take a piece of Green Stuff or Brown Stuff (which I recommend - it's great) and tuck it out real thin, half a millimetre or so. Make sure you scrape it off and turn it upside down a few times so it doesn't stick to the porcelain too hard. Then, with a razor blade you simply cut out the exact shape of the cloak (mantle and hood are two different pieces) and carefully scrape/move it off the plate. Then use tweezers and/or sculpt tool to fasten it to the model. It takes some practise, but not at all much. Tadaaah!

Brown Stuff link:
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-prodshow/brownstuff.html

Patchoro
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 28 2010 06:09

I really like this kind of Tau look and feel, as you maybe can tell from my own cadre, which has a slightly similar look.
Your weathering is truly exellent and I really like how you maintain a clean look in spite of making those crisis suits look battered.
I especially like your XV8 and XV88 suits.

Overall your cadre looks very impressive! It oozes quality all over. All the little touches add up to a very rich and detailed athmosphere. It is a great showcase of your skills.

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 28 2010 09:39

Very nice, but I must say that your Firewarriors are stunning!!! :nice:

I'd love it if someone could post up a nice, easy to follow tutorial on how you guys do that wonderfully incredible weathering. I want to add that sort of detail to my pieces, once I've got them all to the same stage of painting. ;)
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#6 » Oct 28 2010 11:41

Very nice looking cadre; beautifully painted and modelled. Do you plan on adding anything else?

Shi'ur:
Freeloader actually has put together a nice tutorial on the subject here.

Terminatorinhell
Shas

Post#7 » Oct 28 2010 03:20

These are nearly perfect, the orange accents really make the modlea, Everbleed is definitely my favorite!

bluedestiny
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 28 2010 08:49

May i say my dear sir, that is one hell of a awesome paint job you have. The colors really match and blends in well, really love the way you the battle scars and marks on the armor, care to share the secret? or is it a personal secret :p

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 28 2010 09:24

Wolfs16 wrote:Very nice looking cadre; beautifully painted and modelled. Do you plan on adding anything else?

Shi'ur:
Freeloader actually has put together a nice tutorial on the subject here.

Kinda embarrassing... I found that post you've linked to, shortly after making that comment in my earlier post. :roll:

Thank you all the same, as it's an excellent write up and precisely what I was after. ;)
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Freeloader
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 29 2010 05:04

Thank you, everybody!

Your kind words warms my heart. And being a Swede at the dawn of November, I need all the warmth I can get. At this point I would like to state my official disclaimer regarding my army and the photos: It does help a lot to have a friend who is basically a professional photographer. Furthermore, I know Photoshop pretty well, and hence you probably didn't notice that three models in reality have unfinished bases. Can you spot them? :biggrin:

@bluedestiny
You might want to check out my "Painting an Tau Army" article... You know, the very same one most replies on this page is about... ;)

@Wolfs16
Next up is another Crisis Suit, then yet another. After that I'm finally going to paint my Hammerhead and two more Fire Warriors, one of which is heavily converted and (hopefully) will look rather dashing once finished.

Thanks again!

troy_tempest
Shas

Post#11 » Oct 29 2010 07:58

Another thumbs up for the pathfinders, I like it when the models are re-invented a little!

paulson games
Shas

Post#12 » Oct 29 2010 11:46

Wow these are some incredibly well painted minis and really great picture quality too, saved to my inspiration folder. The weatehring is top notch and I really like the boldness of the mixed orange color pattern. I've always enjoyed the bisected paint scheme on marines but I've never seen it used on Tau before and it came out amazingly well. I also love the pathfinder cloaks. definitely a unique look for you army which will help set it apart on the table. Very bold and glad to see a Tau amy with some of that marine like swagger.

edit: Is the commanders airburst cannon scratch built? have any close up pics?
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Freeloader
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 29 2010 04:36

@paulson games
Yeah, I scratch built the livin' bejesus out of that Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (Best weapon name evah! Worth 20pts only to say that to your opponents face!). I never really liked GW's own Air Frag Pro, since it's so abundantly "attached", and I'm more of a "integrated to the suit itself" kind of guy.

I used:
1x Missile Pod (for the main piece)
1x Plasma Rifle (for the red doohickey underneath)
3x Flamers (three barrels, metal thingy on the side and also the along-the-upper-barrel-whatchamacallit)

I have some high-res images. However, showing it to you would only reveal what a deceiving hack of a painter I really am! :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#14 » Oct 29 2010 09:59

and hence you probably didn't notice that three models in reality have unfinished bases. Can you spot them?

Does one hear a challenge a fellow Photoshop professional? I think so!

Hmmm (scans the photos)

Middle back and back right Pathfinders share bases. Nice touch with the overhanging strands of flock grass. The Middle row, right Pathfinder also has a similar base, he could be a touch up or the originator of the copied base. Leaves me indecisive as to whether these guys are the three or there is one/two more in the Firewarriors, which could be either of the two on the far right, second row and third row.

Nice retouching, horizontal flip and resize are your friend when doing this sort of thing ;)

- Tael.

O'Shatta Hens
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 02 2010 09:42

This is a really awesome army. I saw it on Dakka some time ago and I'm glad it's finally made it to its rightful home here at ATT. The color choices are perfect and the conversion work is really nice. There's plenty of little details here and there to hold your attention. This is really inspiring me to begin work on my second Tau army...Any chance we can get a group shot?

Return to “Galleries”