Tael's Cadre Represents

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Tael's Cadre Represents

Post#1 » Mar 21 2013 09:07

Hi All,

Well, its been awhile, ..a long while. I cannot recall the last time I have had the whole Cadre out and on display at the one time. In fact several more figures are missing, being apart of my Urban Cadre (hmmm, new photoshoot needed there too) . With my new hobby space (temporary sadly) I could do just that. The following images are very large, so heads up. Also, the lighting over saturated the colours a little, I've toned it down as best I can; more photos soon, action photos...

Why this sudden effort? Well, I don't know - checking on what's broken and bent, fix them up because some new recruits will be mustering soon. For those not familiar with my tau, I've begun with the original text in the 2006 White Dwarf 313 showcase article; this should give and idea why I do what I do and what is likely to be coming soon. I take my name from Shas'O Tael, my main character. Even though I've gone Fio, I lead a double life as an occasional shas superstar. (cough)

Introduction

Last time most of my opponents fought such be tentacled, toothed, horned and hairy foes was when they toured the Eye of Terror. With such a variety of aliens, this cadre has become a zoo, a melange of Eastern Fringe aliens united under the banner of the Tau and the cause of the Greater Good led by core of Sa’Cean fire warriors.

What started out as a small combat patrol collection ended up being my primary army and inspiration for conversion after conversion.

Cadre Theme/Background

During the border ‘disputes’ and annexations of the Third Phase expansion, the resources of the Sha'Ar'Tol and Kor’Vattra was stretched thin. Eventually the Tau looked to their allies, their requests brought forth a legion of races borne from lesser worlds. Their peoples either newly introduced to space or seasoned star farers. Regardless, all pledged to fight under the banner of the Tau Empire. Perhaps it was the xenophobic policies and campaigns by the Imperium that provided the Tau with a long list of firnds, or the Tau were truly great diplomats; convincing various races that unity would ensure safety. Every kai'ro’taa brought new allies, some wishing for an opportunity at revenge, others a good reason to take up arms and halt any tragedy being inflicted upon their world.

New cadres were formed utilising larger auxiliary elements than ever before, each being trained on major Sept worlds such as Sa’Cea and Dal’yth. Their ranks swelled with a myriad of recruits from a dozen races, the mixed forces to be commanded by a new breed of cosmopolitan Shas leaders. One such Shas'O was Tael, a returned veteran of the first annexations the tau had undertaken during the initial stages of the expansion.

A student of Manta borne mechanised warfare and a gregarious xeno-philanthropist (basically a nice guy to all things alien), he was eager to assess the abilities of the auxiliary forces now placed under his command. Additionally noted for his encouragement of military sciences and actively supporting research of the Fio within his Kor’vattra, O’Tael’s cadre often utilises new weapons and armour upon the field. There is always a certain energetic level of modification and enhancement rampant throughout the cadre as groups of Fio scientists continually strive to develop enhancements upon present systems.

Whilst the variety of skills shown by the new auxiliaries has caused much consternation among their foes, it has caused similar coordination issues amongst the cadre in battle on occasion. From translators failing mid-battle or newly allied races fighting a private war regardless of orders, being some examples. For the young, dynamic and inventive Tau it certainly is not an insurmountable problem, a solution will be found eventually. For the time being, these unique cadres fight to protect a place amongst the stars for the Greater Good.

Shas'O Sa'Cea Eldi'Ka Tael

A Sa’Cean borne Shas warrior, O’Tael embarked on many forays along the disputed zones as a young Firewarrior. During this time he encountered a myriad of foes in the cause of the Tau’Va. Eventually the sole survivor of his Ta'lissera, he seemed destined to the inevitably short life of a Monat Battle suit pilot. Yet his skill and aura of luck stayed the cold touch of death even still.

During his third ranking Trial for Shas’El, his peers saw the potential of a cadre leader. His first command was a Kor’Vattra borne rescue and reaction force. The cadre protected Por caste envoy missions prior to the Third Phase Expansion without unfavourable incidents. Now in his prime and a rank higher after his latest Trial, O’Tael regularly takes command of several cadres led by a group of junior Shas’el leaders under his guidance.

While certainly marked achievements, it is the unification of several races within his personal cadre that O’Tael discusses earnestly with anyone willing to listen to his theories on racial traits and their applications. Warriors from the Naga, Shea’Shi, Gue’la, Kroot, and several other species follow his orders without question, their faith in his leadership earned in the fierce border disputes after the recent Tau expansion and the increasing Imperial response.

The Cadre

XV8's and shas'la

My Fio, a couple of Air Caste and Mine Drones with Heavies in the background

The heavy hitters and fast movers of the Cadre

Vre'Ryuu, the most aggressive, stubborn, egocentric, son of a krootox - if he didn't handle a Hammerhead like a Piranha, O'Tael have him cleaning drone capacitor sheaths all ro'taa, permanently

You can make out Shas'Ui Kuna'Ro (famous for the way she uses a pulse rifle) and her mentor Shas'Vre Elan'Jhin amongst the Pathfinder La'Rua (he's the gruff sour-kroot, right of the la'rua)

The Auxiliary

Quite the talking point when people fight my cadre. The auxiliaries are a diverse bunch, made from innumerable parts from various kits across the Games Workshop range. I’ll give you a quick insight into each new race beyond the Kroot and Gue’la;

The Shea’Shi (a member is in the Gue'Vesa unit)

Descendants of an advanced civilization the Shea’shi had once built their greatest structures near a belt of equatorial oceans that ringed the plains-world the Tau soon called T'sua'M’Por. What ended the previous dynasty was unknown at the time.

Bearing long noble faces, broad chests, elongated torsos and flowing manes, the Shea’shi displayed all the classic features of a humanoid leonine. Their athletic physique covered in varying lengths and shades of fine downy fur, which they covered in richly dyed cloth and leather, underneath body form bronze armour. Using broad scimitars and their rare ancient ‘sun-caster’ rifles against the gun and axe of the numerous Ork invaders, the Shea’shi ultimately stood little chance of winning a global war prior to the Tau arriving.

It was in the last few Cyr’s that the ork had arrived, probably by a single force landed ship, as was their rather direct approach attitude. The ‘survivors’ had proven dishevelled, unsupported and ill-equipped, completely lacking in technical supplies. However they had recovered quickly, and the blade armed shea’shi were now little match for the first crude handguns the orks had began to manufacture.

With the inter-species war in full swing, the orks outclassed the shea’shi not only in numbers but also proliferation of technology. The small native lodge-tribes were being hunted down, across the great southern plains, and exterminated. Almost two thirds had been wiped out when a Tau Kor’Vattra, El’Tael was apart of, arrived. After various battles and adventures meant for greater tales, the Shea’Shi joined the Empire and have provided skilled and honourable warriors when needed ever since.

The Naga

The Tau encountered the Naga quite by accident, a Nicassar Flotilla coming across their system during a deep recon sweep along the outer rim of the Eastern Spiral Arm. Over the last few cyrs, the Por envoys visited the verdant jungle world, speaking at length with the Bronze Age tribal Naga, exchanging gifts and pleasantries once communication was established. They traded information on local and galactic events, the latter rather one sided, leaving the Tau to detail a state of the Empire and those beyond. However the Naga proved great stargazers, trading much astrological data, amused at the correlation and corrections to their studies when compared to the highly advanced Tau.

The Naga seemed to take all this in their stride, at ease about the larger goings on beyond their world. Mostly they would eagerly barter and trade herbivorous foodstuffs for metals and the occasional item of advanced Tau technology they could understand and use. The Tau soon left, hearing various goings on from them with every trade mission that passed through their system. In all, a folksy rustic race to know.

When a call for aide went out during the Third Phase expansion wars, the Naga appeared shortly after at Fal'Shia aboard Tau trade-ships, filled to the airlocks with young keen-eyed Naga. Each festooned in feathers and bearing metal armour, clubs and spears. They had commandeered a passing freighter flotilla, without any force save avidly requesting transport. Their arrival, whilst unexpected, was a greatly appreciated gesture of military support, however it showed the Naga clearly lacked the appropriate equipment for inter-stellar battlefields.

Yet, no better Sept could have accepted the first Naga'la, the Fio of Fal'Shia quickly adapting Tau armour and even developing low yield pulse blasters for the Naga'la to use, leaving the sighting open, as the Naga were disorientated by digital targeting aids.

Environmental chest armour was created, allowing the Naga'la to maintain an optimal body temperature for combat activity, off setting their cold blooded restraints which had made disputes on their home world quick, brutal affairs. With the torso shell, they could operate day or night. A novelty the Naga are now enjoying with unwavering enthusiasm.

The Crest-Boom was developed to protect the Naga's sensitive cranial crest. This crest, used for enhancing communication with hand-sign like dexterity amongst themselves, was both sensitive and a source of pride among the Naga. Despite the loss of it's use, protection was a greater factor.

The boom is a head armour piece that slides snugly about the crest from front to back, adhering with subtle suction to the cranial ridge. It accentuates head bobs, sways and wags that make up a majority of Naga battle signs whilst housing communication relays for the Naga'Ui (the more technically adept of the Naga'la) whom possesses a suitably modified translator. It proved simple, effective and the marking upon the boom soon became the new status symbol among the Naga'la warriors. When added to their own hoots and sub-sonic throat calls, the crest armour has allowed the Naga a level of communication arguably more capable than a data-linked fire-warrior squad in the heat of battle.

Tough, determined and dedicated, the Naga have quickly become adjusted to the frantic and shocking brutality of front line warfare. Their aide, alongside many other small realms that have now joined the Tau, ensures the continued progression of the Tau for many cyr to come.

Assembling the Auxiliary

Certainly goes without saying, the most heavily converted group in the cadre. Generally I use a core selection of bits from the firewarrior sprues, integrated with parts from various kits until I have what I’m thinking of. Based off the concept piece, I then find a way to streamline the process so I can produce at least eight of them with two pulse carbines.

Gue’la
I basically took the Cadian helmet and the Tau helmet, cut them in half and merged the Tau end onto the Cadian front. A bit of Greenstuff and sanding later, I had a open faced auxiliary helmet. The boots were swapped about, cutting the Tau at the knees then swapping out. With careful cutting you need only pin these in place. I shaved off the las-gun flash suppressor to suggest the Tau had modified the lasguns in some way, with a preference for low exposure muzzles eg. Pulse Rifles.

Shea’Shi
Using parts from the Beastman plastics, I added feline features to a few beastman heads. Then I built the body with the Cadian torso armour and firewarrior legs, with lower legs removed. To the legs I add the lower part of a beastman’s legs. Then once in the pose I liked, I used some greenstuff to sculpt on paws over the hooves. Being more humanoid I opted to use Cadian lasgun and arms treated the same way as I made the gue’la.

Naga’la
this one is very involved. I used 5th edition Saurus warrior heads, with added depth to their skulls and neck. The head piece is plastic quarter round rod, shaved to fit (story wise this protects a natural crest). The torso is Space Marine upper chest armour, with a central hole drilled which I added a Tau ‘cog’ into. The dorsal extension is the back end of a Target Lock for Battle suits with vents from a Space Marine backpack. This is all smoothly merged with greenstuff and a little bit of sanding. The pulse weapon is made with two pulse carbines stripped down, then merged side by side, with more Greenstuff. The muzzles are plastic round rod cuttings.

The arms are modified kroot arms (including the rifle handle grip, finishing off the new pulse weapon) the four fingered grips are made with Greenstuff.

thanks for checking out the Cadre, see you in the field!
Tael.

Lone Strike
Shas

Re: Tael's Cadre Represents

Post#2 » Mar 21 2013 11:04

Wow, your paint job is very very crisp. Amazing job man! Feeling a new found motivation with the changes coming in the near future? I certainly am :D

Freeloader
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 21 2013 12:58

Flawless!

I've been longing for an army gallery such as this. The blueish grey as compliment to the standard sand brown/reddish brown is truly astonishing! The paintjob is so unbelievably crisp I can't figure out how you find the time.

Also - and this is important - I really like that you've managed to give the army a certain soul - je any sais quoi if you will - that distinguishes it without having to resort to the anime/manga swampland. I don't know if you're into Kroot, but I think a few of those bad boys would spruce it up - my personal opinion. Keep it up, and if you could post a few close-ups, that'd be great. That paintjob deserves a closer look.

Cheers!
People should laugh everyday

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 21 2013 02:09

I've seen parts if this beautiful collection all over the internet but never all displayed all together. As a complete army, these modela have a whole new level of coolness. I salute you, and your skills as a painter, very well done :P

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#5 » Mar 21 2013 02:16

The Universe is strange....

I was JUST going over the WD Canada (#1) last night and spent some time drooling over your models. Nice work T, I can't wait to see what you do with the new stuff.

modelglue

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Mar 21 2013 05:48

That white dwarf I hunted out just for that article. I always turn to it for inspiration! Its nice to see you post this gallery. Looking forward to see your new additions when you get them!

Czar Ziggy

Leigabar
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 21 2013 06:08

Oh Lord! No matter what I will do Tael will steal all the audience and to be honest, rightfully! Haven't seen You're Tau since Eastern Empire photos.

(what have happened with Scythes of Emperor BTW?)

B.R.
Leigabar

shadow kat
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 22 2013 04:53

like so many others, I recognize so many of these individual units from a variety of different places. It really is special to see them all gathered together though. Seeing one great model is one thing. Seeing an army full of them is an entirely different experience. Also like the others, it boggles my mind how you've achieved such consistently crisp results across an entire cadre.

There is little more I can say that hasn't already been said. Whether intentional or not, your cadre and its units are quite possibly the most recognized Tau force ever created worldwide.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » Mar 22 2013 05:42

It has been really special to finally put my cadre all out on the table; it has taken a long while due to work, moving and lacking time to game. What has been very cool is the response, both openly here, by PM and on my site Eastern Empire and further emails. :biggrin:

Thank you everyone, truly. :smile:

I was inspired by the sudden energy on the forum, my thinking being to put up some examples of my converting in one place (now that I could) for new players to get excited about modelling up their own unique cadres here on ATT amongst many collections showcased before our community. Hence all the inter linked content.

I'm looking forward to all the great ideas that are going to appear across the internet and sharing in modelling with the ATT crew as we get stuck into all these news kits.

Tael :)

As for my Scythes?.. gosh, new truescale marines and scouts still staring at me from their parts tray. Ohhh the guilt trip..

Brokensword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Mar 22 2013 06:38

Tael wrote:
I was inspired by the sudden energy on the forum, my thinking being to put up some examples of my converting in one place (now that I could) for new players to get excited about modelling up their own unique cadres here on ATT amongst many collections showcased before our community. Hence all the inter linked content.

[/size]

Same here Tael, I haven't picked up a pair of clippers in anger for ages, now I'm readjusting the stances on four XV8's.

It's great to see all your Cadre coming together for a photo opportunity, and now I'm contemplating respraying my tanks with a little bit of camouflage.

Tau'va

BabaGanoosh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Mar 22 2013 07:10

This is an awesome-looking cadre, Tael. Very polished, despite extensive conversion work.

I especially love your Naga - I remember they inspired me to do my own (not quite as good-lookin') lizardmen conversions. I look forward to seeing what you can do with the influx of new Tau!

Tau'va!

MuonNeutrino
Kor

Post#12 » Mar 22 2013 07:37

I've always been a fan of your conversions, but what I really like about seeing the whole thing together is how they retain all of their individual distinctiveness while somehow simultaneously forming such a naturally unified whole. You've really got a *very* good eye for the 'feel' of the tau.

And I'm still hoping to be able to read your Shea'Shi backstory again at some point. :P
Astronomy grad student, Gamer, and Procrastination Ace

Bitterman
Shas

Post#13 » Mar 22 2013 08:41

Your army looks like mine but better.

I hate you. In the nicest possible way. :D

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#14 » Mar 22 2013 10:17

the highlights and shadows are nice, since they're so beautifully subtle but still visible. The big thing that always got me about your models though was the lines and other markings. The disruption patterns on your vehicles, the identification markings on the suits, everything. They're all so crisp and clean, perfectly straight lines with no visible deviation, even with multiple layers. When I'm painting white details like that I usually end up overstepping the line slightly on the 2nd or 3rd coat and it upsets me because I have to then somehow touch it up to make the lines nice again. Even after all that effort I still cannot get the quality that you get with those markings. Maybe someday I'll build my brush skill enough to make those perfect lines.

I did have one question for you:
Since my collection of GW paints is slowly drying up or running out, and I haven't replaced any in a while, now may be the time to re-think the paints I use on my models. I had considered switching to Vallejo paints since I have so few still-good GW paints that I don't think I'll ever have a better time to switch and suffer this little loss. Would you recommend the switch? I know that's what you use, but in all honesty how much does the quality of the paint job vary between the two paints if the amount of skill remains constant?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#15 » Mar 22 2013 10:25

Beautiful work Tael - I can only echo what has already been written.

Crisp, clean paint job and the write up helps to pull it all together.

Awesome :)

Freeloader
Shas

Post#16 » Mar 23 2013 05:22

Agentarrow wrote:I had considered switching to Vallejo paints since I have so few still-good GW paints that I don't think I'll ever have a better time to switch and suffer this little loss.

Sorry, for butting in here AgentArrow, but I too have been pondering making this switch. I've asked around amongst my friends - most of whom go more than 15-20 years back in the painting hobby. They all advise me to make the switch, however they recommend using GW's washes and metal paints, since Vallejo's equivalents don't hold to the test. Since Vallejo is cheaper, I don't mind at least giving it a shot.

Sorry for stealing your thunder, Tael! You know we worship your work. :D
Last edited by Freeloader on Apr 04 2013 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
People should laugh everyday

Rus'el
Shas

Post#17 » Apr 04 2013 04:56

Tael,

It is great to finally see your whole Cadre in its full glory!

It is, as are you and your skills, an example to us all.

Regards,

Rus'el
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left!

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Apr 04 2013 07:11

You know looking back it always seemed so much bigger in the White Dwarf article. Nonetheless this was very nostalgic for me. The 2006 White Dwarf that featured your cadre for the first time was the very first White Dwarf I ever got, and it proved to be a wealth of inspiration for me (I must admit to Steali- I mean, adapting, some parts of your paint-scheme for my own cadre, mostly the use of a white undercoat :D )

Will you be showing of your Urban combat cadre as well?
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Return to “Galleries”