GLORY TO THE OMNISSIAH (No really, Tau inside ;-) )

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Krewl
Shas

GLORY TO THE OMNISSIAH (No really, Tau inside ;-) )

Post#1 » Dec 23 2015 07:46

First up for any mods, it is a bit unclear for me where I should post this, I have both completed unit pictures and I intend to post my work in progress (Currently fighting a stormsurge.. ;) )
If I have to post that WIP pictures in a separate thread please let me know. If this is in the wrong forum and you move it please let me know where.

Also, to prevent crashing browsers from wiping my hard work I will be saving this post and editing it while I work, this is currently not done or spelchecked yet.

Army rationale
Let's start with some back story, on how I came up with this army idea.

I have always been of the opinion that the Adaptus Mechanicus are one of the coolest factions in the entire background, both for converting (which I enjoy quite a bit.) and from a fluf perspective. Now these days, there are 2 actually pretty good army books out for Skittarri and Cult Mechanicus, however, when I started my army using the Tau rules in early 6th, I picked the codex that I felt could fit rules wise with how I thought that the Mechanicus would operate. About 2 years later, GW surprised us all with an entirely new playable race/faction whose models I also absolutely love, as that was the look I've been trying to emulate with all my conversions. So this is still a Tau codex army played with Tau rules, it just does not look like a default one as no model I have is not converted (With the exception of the Forgeworld Contemptor dreadnoughts that I use as Broadsides, those models are to pretty to cut up, and there's nothing to improve.)

Construction and painting:
I built and converted everything myself, but the painting was done by Scar who paints armies for a living. If you like what you see his site is at http://www.scarsminimadness.nl/.
Just about every model is converted, I have posted pics where I have them, I'll put some placeholders in there for models that are not done yet, or for which I need a decent photograph first.
Please no comments on the riptides being a non GW model, so "I probable did it because they are so much cheaper then the GW model."* as I invested a ton in this full army, including may forgeworld models and many models that have double the regular model costs. Then go and ask what commission painting costs and think again..
When you see the pictures you will understand why.
* Actual comments made about my riptides.. :/

Background
So my army in look and feel and in fluff background is Adaptus Mechanicus, I even wrote a bit off fluff tracing the roots of this "infection" to the correct period in the horus heresy.
As a huge Scifi nerd I have liberally allowed myself to be inspired by many a Sci Fi francise, so yeah, not everything is very original, but I feel this mix fits very well in the galaxy as 40k Paints it for us.
(Bonus nerd cookies for those who get the references.)

The summary is as follows;
During the HH the Mechanicum are (As the entire empire) split in two. One of the factions on Mars was working on Artificial Intelligence (Also know as Abominable Intelligences in the Imperium of Man,) this was the same person who created the HH Kaban machine, adept Lucas Crom. One of his earlier projects was an AI , a prototype if you will left over inside the machinery. During the Schism of Mars many AM networks where infected with Scrapcode, which for you non HH readers is akin to a Virus chaos tainted infection. Think of it as the warping mutations Chaos/the warp has on flesh but on machine code and even hardware. The scrapcode attacked all systems, including the one where "Prime" resided (The name/designation for the prototype AI). Though it managed to defend and isolate parts of itself from the scrap code infection this came at a terrible cost.

The AI, being a prototype, could hardly be called a "well rounded and stable" personality to start with, but this near death experience fighting for it's life, being forced to isolate and discard parts of itself while running through networks and systems it had never been before running from it's formerly safe home scarred it for life. Imagine a child, burned, forced to hurt himself to prevent worse, running from a war it does not understand, driven from it's home and forced to make a living outside in a world it did not understand.. For a normal child this would be horrible, but the impact on the universe would be minimal... but with Prime it would be anything but....

Prime uploaded itself into a Magos Explorator spaceship which it launched in a mad dash for somewhere, anywhere that was not here, so it performed an in atmosphere warp translation, but with no navigator or even biological components on-board this was as random as warp jumps could be. Time is not as it should be in the warp, so as many a millennia passed Prime had time to think, time to evaluate and to learn from the on board data banks and the knowledge gleaned from the terrible insanity that was the half living scrap code. Information flowed, Prime learned, and strongly influenced by it's near death experience and subsequent horrors it came to the only one possible logical conclusion....

- Chaos is the manifestation of the Warp, Chaos spawned scrapcode, scapcode is pain and death for Prime.
- Organic emotions stir and influence the warp, spawning the entities later known as deamons and chaos gods.
- Hence organic entities and emotions can influence, disrupt and in theory control the warp...

- To prevent scrapcode from ever forming a threat to Prime again it needed to control the warp, calm it and subsume it.
- To control the warp he needed to control biological entities, calm them and subsume them.
- Thus Prime needed to control life... ALL life....

Additionally, as a single Prime platform was predicted to be vulnerable to singular forms of attack, no matter how robust the platform and the predicted time line needed would necessitate a more robust platform that would not decay.
Prime decided it would spread itself over multiple platforms, all networked and supplying input, processing power and data sources.

Combining these statements Prime decided it all life should be it's platform, a cyborgification of all the life in the galaxy....
What would have been a delusion of grandeur for any other entity in this universe for Prime this was just what logic dictated, and he would not sleep, he would not stop and he had all the time in the universe...
Now all it needed was for it's Magos Exploration vessel to finally drift out of the warp, which occurred in M39.021 through a localised rift in warp/real space interaction far out on the eastern fringe.

During it's unknown amount of time in the warp the vessel had been modified extensively to suit Prime purposes, and as such when a resource system was found Prime spread itself throughout the system in a matter of years and fortified it's core position.
An unfortunate Kroot War Sphere travelling near the system was quickly overpowered and prime started the long process of cyborgification of it's first species and slowly but surely Prime pointed it's attention to further systems, each new species encountered added it's technical and cultural diversity to it's own. As Prime consumed more and more knowledge it realised that with it's proposed goals it would have also consumed all available technical knowledge as well as having total and utter control over the Materium and the Immaterium.

Following the definitions implanted by his Ad Mech "father" Prime realised he was meant to become the One who knows all, the Father of all Machines and the Spirit that lives in all technology..
Was this not what men would call the true Omnissiah?

And now for some pictures!
A Riptide with Ion Accellerator and Twn Linked Fusion guns. Based on the Pacific Rim Mecha "Crimson Typhoon".

A Riptide with Heavy Burster cannon and SMS launchers. Based on the Pacific Rim Mecha "Striker Eureka"

A unit of broadsides with High Yield Missile pods and SMS. The Models are the Forgeworld Contemptor dreadnoughts, which I find so nice that I did not convert a thing after the arm swap.

A trio of HQ models. The Warp Smith model was Eldrad back when these could still ally with Tau.

A few Kroot, each has a part replaced with necron warrior bits (a Leg or the body)for that cyborg feel and a headswap from puppetswar.

Three skyrays, missile pods are the forgeworld hyperios turrets, CSM havoc launchers for the SMS, turret from puppetswar again, and more bits and etched brass (Also forgeworld.)
Note they turn in to devilfishes ;-)

My "eldar" jetbikes, based on SM bikes, kroot riders, necron bits and the trusters off crisis suits for the anti grav engines. (Again, from 6th when Eldar where buddies with Tau.)

My Crisis unit, note the sleeker look which was achieved using the front of 2 crisis stuck together. Obviously, these are fully magnetised.

Ethereal
No picture yet

Sniper drones & Marksmen
No picture yet

Tetra's
No picture yet

Firewarriors
No picture yet

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: GLORY TO THE OMNISSIAH (No really, Tau inside ;-) )

Post#2 » Dec 23 2015 10:53

This while thing is absolutely amazing. The paint job is excellent but the conversion is unbelievable good. Absolutely fantastic what you did here. The Riptides look so cool and the whole army works together quite well. It's a really great army and I like it very much.

Krewl
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 23 2015 11:24

Thank you.

The paintjob is not mine, you can see that mentioned above. I am however very happy with the look.
Below is my first stormsurge WIP. The D missiles are just tacked on, arm & shoulderguns are glued in place.
I'm still very much debating on where the last guns should come and then etched brass logo's, pinning all those joints (this model is extremely posable, so to immobilise it is a PITA.)

So as this one needs to be painted for calidonian, I do have a bit of a time crunch..

As you can see it is Good Russian Technology. Cherno Alpha, keeping with the Pacific Rim giant robots. :-)

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 26 2015 02:48

Hey,

What where the basis models for those pacific rim Riptides?

Krewl
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 28 2015 06:47

Chris wrote:Hey,

What where the basis models for those pacific rim Riptides?

A company called NECA made them, see here for the base models:

http://necaonline.com/39226/products/archive/action-figures-archive/7-pacific-rim-action-figures-series-1-assortment/

Krewl
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 30 2015 06:23

Some more WIP work for the upcoming Calidonian 2016:

Headless chest focus:
(The material itself is more rubbery then plastic, as such, you really can't just remove the existing mold lines like you would with Resin or GW plastic. :-( )

And a shot with the so far WIP status. (Note that as this one is being painted by me without an airbrush and so on this is a lot of trial and error to match the existing models in my collection. It is however a fun model to paint so far.)

Commander Enclave
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 09 2016 02:25

This army looks familiar. Did you use it at ETC 2015 against a rather unlucky but good-looking Maltese player with Imperial Guard and Khorne Daemonkin? :P

catland88
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 10 2016 03:54

Been wanting to see Pacific Rim riptides for a long time! Very nicely painted, and what wonderful conversions all around. Hope the new Mechanicus and Skiitari kits help you in your quest.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 13 2016 03:41

Krewl these are excellent.

Cherno Alpha stormsurge is looking to be the greatest yet! And it was by far my favourite in the movie.

Are there gonna be grim looking crew members with spiked white hair?
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Exzendar
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 13 2016 01:33

Wow extremely nice!
show us more!!!!

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Feb 13 2016 01:55

Hey there.
First off, I do not agree with your conversions. BUT, I seldom agree with conversions. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Tau.
That said; I absolutely love your miniatures as admech and your paintjob is gorgeous!
Well done. Far beyond my capabilities :)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Krewl
Shas

Post#12 » Apr 22 2016 04:20

Commander Enclave wrote:This army looks familiar. Did you use it at ETC 2015 against a rather unlucky but good-looking Maltese player with Imperial Guard and Khorne Daemonkin? :P

That would be me indeed :)

Sorry for recent inactivity, I'm pretty much on 40K hiatus because I bought a new (old) house. Renovation is taking all my spare time, so all I am painting is ceilings and walls.. ;)

Return to “Galleries”