Full Army Paint Scheme, please help with naming

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Full Army Paint Scheme, please help with naming

Post#1 » Jun 21 2017 09:30

Hey ATT,

Looking for some help with my Army. It has a paint scheme, but i'm not as good with some of you when it comes to Lore, Naming, and Sept's.

First off ill put up the pictures of the army.

*edit* silly photobucket went crazy with photo orientations... sorry for any neck injuries :(

Crisis Shas'vre with 2x Plasma Rifles and drone controller (magnetised)
Commander with cyclic and plasma (sorry for fuzzy photo)
Pirahna with Fusion
Longstrike
Ethereal
Drones
Riptide
Strike Team w Home Built Missile turret
SunShark
Homebuild Firesight Marksman
Stealthsuits
Pathfinders with RR
Kroot
Full Army

I'll add photo's of the Y'vahra and Stormsurge when they are finished!

So at this point my <SEPT> has no name and more important my commander has no suitable name. :(

Lechai Skull is an anagram of my name if it helps.
Not Sure which SEPT decal I've been using either.

Any suggestions welcome.

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Re: Full Army Paint Scheme, please help with naming

Post#2 » Jun 21 2017 10:55

The three colours remind me of "the great wave" a very famous (Ukiyo e) Japanese print.

So with that in mind I can't help but feel that commander Tsu of the Nami Sept would be hilarious (or a bit silly...)

But actually it fits with the fish theme and Nami alone means wave in Japanese. Maybe Na'mi would be more T'au. (Ghostkeel riptide devilfish stormsurge etc...)

The same Tsu individually means port/harbour which suits him leading his fleet of suits?

Otherwise, not sure. (This is a way more convincing case for a joke than I intended)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 21 2017 11:04

Love your Piranha/Devilfish/Sunshark!
I might want to steal that kind of color scheme now. :D

Also I'm always anew surprised at how hilarious the old Crisis models look compared to the current range. :P

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 21 2017 11:06

JustGreg wrote:But actually it fits with the fish theme and Nami alone means wave in Japanese. Maybe Na'mi would be more T'au. (Ghostkeel riptide devilfish stormsurge etc...)

Keep in mind those are only the names the IoM gave the T'au units. T'au don't refer themselves or any of their units as fish.

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 21 2017 11:15

Panzer wrote:
JustGreg wrote:But actually it fits with the fish theme and Nami alone means wave in Japanese. Maybe Na'mi would be more T'au. (Ghostkeel riptide devilfish stormsurge etc...)

Keep in mind those are only the names the IoM gave the T'au units. T'au don't refer themselves or any of their units as fish.

This is true, but its also the names we all use. Or what should I call them? Bla'sta'ma'gee and Mc'ro'ket'tz? (I jest)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 21 2017 11:23

JustGreg wrote:
Panzer wrote:

This is true, but its also the names we all use. Or what should I call them? Bla'sta'ma'gee and Mc'ro'ket'tz? (I jest)

XV8 etc.
Those are the T'au names for those units.

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 21 2017 11:27

Panzer wrote:
JustGreg wrote:
Panzer wrote:Keep in mind those are only the names the IoM gave the T'au units. T'au don't refer themselves or any of their units as fish.

XV8 etc.

That's surely also an IoM classification, it's English after all?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 21 2017 11:34

JustGreg wrote:
Panzer wrote:
JustGreg wrote:

XV8 etc.

That's surely also an IoM classification, it's English after all?

It's the english translation but the classification is T'au. They don't use english as main language in the IoM either. ;)

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 21 2017 11:34

JustGreg wrote:The three colours remind me of "the great wave" a very famous (Ukiyo e) Japanese print.

So with that in mind I can't help but feel that commander Tsu of the Nami Sept would be hilarious (or a bit silly...)

But actually it fits with the fish theme and Nami alone means wave in Japanese. Maybe Na'mi would be more T'au. (Ghostkeel riptide devilfish stormsurge etc...)

The same Tsu individually means port/harbour which suits him leading his fleet of suits?

Otherwise, not sure. (This is a way more convincing case for a joke than I intended)

Hahaha Nice!
Not a big fan of the Nami for the Sept, but i really like Tsu.

I think La is Tau for Heaven/heavenly. So Commander La'Tsu would translate to Commander Heavenly Wave. Very fitting for the grey and blue color scheme.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 21 2017 11:37

Panzer wrote:Love your Piranha/Devilfish/Sunshark!
I might want to steal that kind of color scheme now. :D

Also I'm always anew surprised at how hilarious the old Crisis models look compared to the current range. :P

Thanks, glad you like them.
I would certainly love to replace my suits with the new ones. But current funding shortages have crippled me on that front.
I'm all open towards sponsorship...

lol

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Jun 22 2017 12:21

Hey there,

First, I want to say that that is a killer paint scheme you have. I especially like the grey sections of the vehicles, as I've always had a soft spot for tiger-stripe paint schemes. :D

Now, as to your questions on background.

To start with, the sept logo you have used on your Crisis suit Shas'vre and Riptide is that of the Dal'yth sept, which is a major hub for trade and commerce in the Tau Empire and has a lot of non-violent dealings with aliens.

For further army background, the best approach is probably to take a step back, take everything about the army, and ask "Why". Why are they painted in this colour scheme? Why do they use these particular weapons? Why does that gun drone have a very long gun? If you can get some good in-universe answers to these questions, you'll be a long way to creating a cool army backstory.

To help get the ball rolling, let's take a look at the cool blue paint scheme you have. Normally the primary armour and undersuit colours on Tau units are meant to be camouflage, and are chosen to match the environment the Tau are fighting in. As you appear to have not based your models (for now at least), this could work for you - it may sound crazy, but there's actually a lot of scope for planets with blue surfaces. Oxide deserts are likely to be a common biome in the universe, and their colour can change depending on what kind of metal(s) the rocks and earth contains. Mars, for instance, is an iron oxide desert, which is what gives it a red appearance (iron oxide is more commonly known as rust), but other metals like copper could produce blue rocks or sand instead. If you want to go with this approach, then you'd simply need to base your models using sand and rocks painted blue.

The alternative is a simple ocean world environment, with lots and lots of water everywhere. There are probably other options too, but those two are the most basic and easiest to get someone to swallow.

For names, the general rule is that every Tau name follows the same formula of:

Caste - Rank - Sept of origin - any personal names the Tau has

Personal names are awarded to a Tau in life, and are personal descriptors. They're references to either a significant achievement the Tau has made, or a significant aspect of the Tau's character or personality. The two main Tau dictionaries accepted on ATT can be found here and here.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jun 22 2017 12:36

Kakapo42 wrote:Hey there,

First, I want to say that that is a killer paint scheme you have. I especially like the grey sections of the vehicles, as I've always had a soft spot for tiger-stripe paint schemes. :D

Now, as to your questions on background.

To start with, the sept logo you have used on your Crisis suit Shas'vre and Riptide is that of the Dal'yth sept, which is a major hub for trade and commerce in the Tau Empire and has a lot of non-violent dealings with aliens.

For further army background, the best approach is probably to take a step back, take everything about the army, and ask "Why". Why are they painted in this colour scheme? Why do they use these particular weapons? Why does that gun drone have a very long gun? If you can get some good in-universe answers to these questions, you'll be a long way to creating a cool army backstory.

To help get the ball rolling, let's take a look at the cool blue paint scheme you have. Normally the primary armour and undersuit colours on Tau units are meant to be camouflage, and are chosen to match the environment the Tau are fighting in. As you appear to have not based your models (for now at least), this could work for you - it may sound crazy, but there's actually a lot of scope for planets with blue surfaces. Oxide deserts are likely to be a common biome in the universe, and their colour can change depending on what kind of metal(s) the rocks and earth contains. Mars, for instance, is an iron oxide desert, which is what gives it a red appearance (iron oxide is more commonly known as rust), but other metals like copper could produce blue rocks or sand instead. If you want to go with this approach, then you'd simply need to base your models using sand and rocks painted blue.

The alternative is a simple ocean world environment, with lots and lots of water everywhere. There are probably other options too, but those two are the most basic and easiest to get someone to swallow.

For names, the general rule is that every Tau name follows the same formula of:

Caste - Rank - Sept of origin - any personal names the Tau has

Personal names are awarded to a Tau in life, and are personal descriptors. They're references to either a significant achievement the Tau has made, or a significant aspect of the Tau's character or personality. The two main Tau dictionaries accepted on ATT can be found here and here.

Thanks Heaps!

Was definitely going for a water thing over a blue planet.
I think initially i chose the decal, then read that it was a water caste (mostly) planet. Hence why the mostly blue theme. I added the grey scheme to break it up and add some contrast as they were initially a bit bland.

And i guess its time to scroll through the lexicons for a name :)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jun 22 2017 12:38

I would strongly recommend you use Tauman's lexicon for help in naming your commander.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23062

materpillar wrote:All of the Tau commander names, once translated, are usually two words mashed into one always following the form of Descriptive Word + Noun/Verb with one of the words usually being 3-4 letters.

Shadowsun
Farsight
Darkstrider
Longstrike
Brightsword
Bravestorm
Torchstar

So my short answer is to just go to the lexicon and just smash some stuff together that sounds good. That's the TL;DR, here's a massive, maybe too much information explanation.

I have over 6 named characters in my army. I'll post the exact reasoning for their names and how I personally came about them, but they all follow the "Descriptive Word + Noun/Verb, and trying to keep one word short" technique. The only exception to this rule being my Ethereal who I'll go into at the end.

This is going to be long so prepare yourself...

My main crisis commander is Commander Reflecting Fire or O'J'Korst'Kha. I always ran him on the tabletop with Iridium Armor + Stims, as a tankmander throughout 7th edition. He would always be directly in front of a squad of crisis suits to soak up lascannon shots and keep them alive. Thus I wanted to reflect this in his name.

Some added discussion I had with tauman ------->"That being said I'm quite attached to the name Reflecting Fire, but suam is clearly not the word I'm looking for. I don't like the idea of some variation of reflecting bullets as a name because that to me implies he is only blocking only STR 3-5 shots (bolters and the like). This is an act that any crisis suit could do for his comrades, I assume it isn't that unheard of. Whereas my commander is actively seeking to take those bullets (in high volume), but also STR 8/9 anti-tank shots that even regular crisis suits would instantly die to with no saves. For example, in my latest game he tanked up a Lord Of Skulls' AP3 Apocalyptic blast for his squad, and was actively harrying the thing so it would shoot/chase him and not the rest of the army. Mere shield of flame or deflecting bullets doesn't seem to encapsulate his feats to me."

J- v. To Reflect
Kha: n. {meteorology} 'Hail' or 'Sleet'.
Korst: n. ‘Death’; ‘Annihilation’; or 'Oblivion' [See entry for Ghoro].

So literally "Reflects Annihilating Sleet"

"Annihilating sleet" most closely translating to "Fire" of the definition "the discharge of firearms (covering fire/enemy fire)" or "the effect of firing military weapons (to pour fire upon the enemy)", but specifically "fire" that would inflict great damage depending on whomever is receiving it. Be that a squad of hammerheads onto a single enemy tank, stealth suits unloading on a squad of guardsmen, or a heavy bolter shooting a group of firewarriors.

Thus the closest translation being Reflecting Fire.

Then, I have twin sisters who are inquisitors of the imperium and work as advisors/commanders in my army. Their full names are really long (since Tau names are).
Vr'o'vesa vash'aun'an Aun'Taal D'Doran'Elro
Human Commander, Born of the Warp, Ethereal Preserver, Twin Calm Voice

Vr'el'vesa vash'aun'an Aun'Taal D'Doran'Ny
Human Commander, Born of the Warp, Ethereal Preserver, Twin Calm Hair

The most important parts being D'Doran'Elro -> Twin Calm Voice and D'Doran'Ny -> Twin Calm Hair

I wanted their names to share a word, so I decided on Calm and then I found a word that sounded good after it and retroactively wrote fluff to explain it. D'Doran'Ny is quick to anger and yells a lot while D'Doran'Elro is always calm in comparison. Hence, she is Calm Voice. Her sister took a flamer of Tzentch to the face which turned half her hair into gold string, which doesn't really move around much even when she's flying around the battlefield hitting things with her sword. Hence, Calm Hair.

In their backstory they were also born in the warp and they saved my ethereal's life. Thus the other titles in their name. Their names were completely independent of tabletop action.

My riptide pilot is Shas'vre Akul Aun'Taal Oni'Dan or Riptide Pilot, Born on Akul, Ethereal Preserver, Covering Fish Jump.

As a pathfinder her name was Shas'ui Oni'Oi, Private Covering Sparks (because her aim wasn't even good enough to be called covering fire).
Her squad was completely slain and she sunk into extreme depression so her name was changed to Oni'Da (covering darkness).
Oni'Dan's current name as Covering Fish Jump is a direct result of D'Doran'Ny's questionable grasp of the tau language. She would always pronounce the name as "Oni'Dan" instead of "Oni'Da" despite everyone's constant, repeated attempts to clarify the difference for Karen. So partly to reduce the confusion in conversations between all parties not familiar with that situation and because it was commonly agreed the new riptide pilot had outgrown Oni'Da her named was changed.

How did I decide on that name? I miss spelled Oni'Da as Oni'Dan and Tauman pointed it out to me. Covering fish jump sounded funny enough that I'd keep it and that's the fluff explanation I came up with. Her name was completely independent of tabletop action.

Shas'el Akul Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri Oni'Dan'Ye - Commander Moonlight

Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri being the more important part

Eoro - To Lead/Guide
D - Twin
Yanoi - Moon
Seri - a ray of light

Literally Commander from Akul Guiding Twin Rays of Moonlight and Daughter of Oni'Dan.

This name is specifically in reference to when she looks at you, it feels like you've been walking blind along a path in the middle of the night and the clouds have just parted so you can see the path again because the moon is so vivid in the sky. Again, this name was completely independent of tabletop action, just something that sounded cool to me. Also, she's my riptide pilot's daughter

Shas'el Akul Mesa'Raik - Sub-Commander Marked Time

I used this commander as a drone control who'd primary stay back and markerlight up targets for destruction. Hence, mark is in the word markerlight. Implies eminent death, cause you're covered in markerlights. Nothing more to it than that.

Aun'Tash

Ethereal names seem to always be Aun' + a single short word like Aun'Va or Aun'Shi. So that's what I went with. Tash is survives/endures. In my fluff he was one of the sole surviving ethereals of a daemon attack, hence the name.

[EDIT]: Welp, I got ninja'd pretty hard there. XD

As for sept fluff. I chose the planet Akul (which is also in the Dal'yth sept) since I didn't think there was much fluff written about the planet so I'd have a pretty much clean slate to work with. My armor colors are kind of similar to yours. I basically picked some paint I like. I retro-actively based them on an ice world so its kind of camouflage-ish. I also explain my army as working as a sort of military/mercenary force around the imperium so they need to be extremely easily identified to not suffer friendly fire.

The water planet idea is probably a pretty solid one.

----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 22 2017 08:34

Based on your advice i think he'll be known as

Commander Blinding Wave

Closest i could find in the lexicon was this:
Ke'Ishan'Por or
Bog'dan'por

Could be way off though.

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jun 22 2017 07:04

Lechai Skull wrote:Hahaha Nice!
Not a big fan of the Nami for the Sept, but i really like Tsu.

I think La is Tau for Heaven/heavenly. So Commander La'Tsu would translate to Commander Heavenly Wave. Very fitting for the grey and blue color scheme.

It'd be more like Commander heavenly haven / heavenly harbour. The nami part was wave. But actually La'tsu is a pretty good sounding name regardless of meaning.

Perhaps even La'Tsu'O?

Edit: The Ke'lshan one sounds good

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jun 22 2017 09:58

Yeah, pretty much going to go with Ke'Ishan'Por even though the other is a more correct translation. It just sounds better.

Commander Ke'Ishan'Por (Blinding Wave)

Return to “Galleries”