[Showcase] Battlesuit Conversion Challenge

A Display of the best projects and Cadres on ATT.
Commander Longfist
Shas

Post#19 » Mar 02 2008 02:10

XV8 "Abomination" Prototype Battlesuit

This command variant Battlesuit was origionally intended
for Commander Puretide as a great gift from the leading
etherals. A symbol of power for the greatest of the Fire
Caste. Unfortunatly Puretide was gravely wounded and
would never use the master crafterd suit.

The "Abomination" desigantion was given to it by Gue'la
commanders as they consider its technical prowess to be
an abomination against their Machine God.

Technological upgrades include
(1) Upgraded armor on its legs, shoulders and shoulders
(2) Advanced portable Railgun.
(3) Integraded forcefield generator
(4) Plasma sword

cailil
Shas

Post#20 » Mar 02 2008 04:17

Cailil's suits

XV88 production - Arkunasha pattern
First used during Commander Farsight's Arkunasha campaign. This battle suit configuration is composed of salvaged parts from BSBs and Hammerheads. In the thick of battle the Fio had to use what they could to keep Farsight's forces advancing. Out of the oxide mists and the ingenuity of the Fio caste came the Arkunasha heavy railgun BSB. A sight the Orks came to dread...

XV25 prototype - Amaterasu
In their efforts to continually improve the Stealth suits of the Fire caste, the Fio have designed the Amaterasu to combine the best of both the XV25's weapon options - the Fusion blaster and the Burst cannon.

XV25 production
This model is just a stylistic variation on the XV25

This is the original thread:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=8453

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#21 » Mar 02 2008 09:52

[Small holograms within the hologram appear over the Aun's wrist mounted personal data device, turning slowly as he scans through the new battlesuit designs. Smiling and nodding thoughtfully he turns his attention back to the communication uplink drone.]

You have done well, diligent Fio, as we expected you would and these new designs are truly remarkable. They combine the best of our ideals, function with beauty, power and grace. We thank you for your efforts, above and beyond your usual duties during this challenging period of Expansion.

We will now retire to Council Chambers to study the information gathered here and will return to you promptly with our overall assessments and plans of action for Field Trials.

Good day.

[The image of the Aun slightly fades as his head bows and is gone. The drones, floating quietly in each of the Fio labs withdraw in unison and start winding their way back toward the upper decks of the expansive Tau Academy. An excited murmur is heard amongst the Fio as the look forward to their next projects.]
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#22 » Mar 09 2008 07:46

O'Tael flipped through the dataslates, reviewing the documentation on each XV build before him. It had so far been quite a task to stick his head inside many of these machines, run diagnostics and come to understand the nuances of exactly what these creative Fio had put together.

As the other members of the council gathered about him, they seemed somewhat relieved, their days effort done. Until O'Tael pressed a small fob attached to his belt. A further Xor Vesa Bay lay ahead behind opening doors, several more suits at attention their design teams just as statuesque about the projects.

With a smirk towards his fellow council members, not used to the intensity by which such technical reviews were conducted, the Fio'O proceeded on, drawing forth another lighpen to start taking notes as he inspected a rather unique jetpack design...

Extensive judging and reviews published soon!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#23 » Mar 18 2008 06:55

Fellow Fio, gathered onlookers..

This review... took longer than I expected. So many progress threads to read through and then balance the scores to reflect the entries when compared to each other. Learning curve indeed!

Right! So after some discussion and a helpful note we compiled the following as the spine for judging each entries, which is how I went about it. The final score is an amalgam of all these elements, often a weak or entirely missing area was brought up by a strength in another part of the entry’s build;

Prototypes:
a) Originality and conceptual elements
b) Use of materials and sculpting skills, cleanliness of construction.
c) Association to Tau design aesthetic.
d: Pose and composition
e) Bonus points; Background and Progress threads.
[Per point 10 marks- total 50]

Production :
a) Core modelling issues : mold lines, cleanliness of construction etc
b) Pose and composition
c) Use of materials and ease of repetition.
d) Shown skills in materials used.
e) Bonus points; Background and Progress threads.
[Per point 10 marks- total 50]

With a tight guideline, I began deliberating with the lads. So began several nights effort, not helped by me browsing my own bitz box to see if I had similar pieces to try out some of the nifty ideas exhibited, but I digress.

Enjoy these too the point reviews :

Kai’Lore
Production XV

I like Kai’s design, its a bold venture for armoring up an XV, and remains close to the production model. Particularly the complete approach, every element is addressed and modified to be part of the whole. I’m all for showing the standard XV8 can rock with the minimalist of effort. The model is cleanly built, despite heavy application of alternate parts. The ingenious use of components both native and other in their construction was a delight to look over and get some inspiration from. Big guns!

There’s not much sculpting going on here, but plenty of component scratch building in comparison. The fluff is pretty in depth and enjoyed the background behind the modelling choices. With regular updates, it was fun to see this project evolve then Pop! undercoated.

I have given this build the “Armored to the Core Award”

Score : 42/50

Warhound
Prototype

Certainly an impressive entry. Some serious modelling went on in here, and the results show. This suit merges a lot of tricks I’ve seen elsewhere, doing a great job of blending them into a greater example of converting an XV8. Throughout the use of bits and scratch made components shows a clever eye and economic reservation for not overloading the model with details.

The dual Plasma Rifle is the bomb, that is such a great design and I have something in mind for that, and its not on an XV. Smart use of shapes and components indeed. I especially like spotting the additional vector vents!

In finishing, a remarkable suit. Seemingly the son of so many ideas about the forums, it brings them together in a cleanly executed build with plenty of original flair to make it a great example of alternate XV construction.

Definitely gets the sought after “It’s Dual Fool!” Award. :)

Score : 43/50

Spartan Tau
Production XV

Certainly not clueless as to the core inspiration of the body design, but as all folks who enjoy building this style, the original direction of the build is great to review. Enjoyed the story behind the suit though being able to follow a couple of build shots and get an eye into the more original components added would have been nifty.

I like the little things, like the compact Fusion Blaster, the markerlight and the small touches in covering places I know from my own build are problematic. I like the idea of restricted components in a production model, causes you to really focus and capitalise on your resources. A neatly modelled piece overall, with personalisation that is easily appreciated.
Awarded the ‘Don’t be Sassin’ the Assassin’ Award

Score : 35/50

LiquidWulfe
Prototype

Original armor style? I think so! I watched this project with interest and it gets maximum points for a WiP thread that was updated with much discussion (a common trait among all the most successful suits by the way). Wulfe’s comments on inspiration are right up my alley, and provide some good insight into why he chose certain ideas in this build.

I do like my background though, so not getting a dose of fiction as to why the Fio under his command went this direction is a pity, but in no way powers down this Fio’s capacitors for XV loving.

I really appreciate the pushing of ideas here. A couple of recognisable parts, but the risky and bold use of scratch built components really pulls up the score for this build. Whilst the finish on items such as the rifle, are still being ironed out, I like the direction they’re taking.

Overall I look forward to future model projects from Wulfe, he’s onto something here with an individual design style.

PS. We love you too man.

Gets the coveted “One Gun is enough, when it’s Big’ Award.

Score : 37/50

O’Suam
Production XV

I’ve always been a closet fan of Suam’s heavy use of Asian imagery in his battlesuit construction language. This suit with broad rimmed helm and flanged hip armor is no exception. Reviewing yet another great WiP thread was a pleasure to fill out his rationale in both the style and project work. Missed my background fiction again.. sniff sniff.. I guess I enjoy getting enthused over a builder’s vision about his suits.

Anyhow in reading the WiP thread, I learn something that is common to builds that show smart converting of parts. There is a lack of said parts and it’s make do with what you have. This MacGuyvering of XV’s is inspiring.

The pose is great, I like the vaulting angle of it. As always small details grab my attention. The groin sensor array is a nice touch and balances the broad hip armor plates nicely. Overall there is some clean modelling going on here. A unique XV8 with simple, strong alterations made with a minimum of fuss (comparatively speaking). This build has it’s own style, builds upon the original XV and offers a look at a more oriental direction to our much loved Crisis suit.

This suit gets my “Samurai Jacked” Award.

Score : 34/50

Cannonfodder
Prototype

This is one of those suits. They make you look at the XV8 and go..huh..didn’t think of that..(with a head tilt of studied review). I can see inspiration from several sources, but the direction CF has gone is very bold.

I am in love with the chest design. The direction CF is going has my fingers twitching over my own stealth XV8. That embedded helm..curved chest.. an inspiring build. I enjoy all the smaller touches like the vectored thrusters and his take on the jetpack nacelles, weapons and legs, Lights!. The additional armor bands I feel do more harm than good about the arms, the sculpting skill is there to work over them freehand anyhow. Possibly a time constraint thing. The light SFX? brilliant..

Overall this is a modeller just pushing his skill to the fringe, sure there’s some roughness, couple of things I wouldn’t have done. Cannonfodder’s work strikes me as the Fio in the corner of the Xor Vesa bay who just tinkers away, assured of his own direction and whilst he may miss the aimed result by a margin, the elements that come out of the build are.. evolutionary. I won’t be surprised if I see his torso idea walk about elsewhere.. by Aun, it may step out of my own hanger in the Xor Vesa bay.

Unfortunately, lack of some WiP and Fiction brings the score down but the strength of the build halts that pretty sharply.

Get’s the “Didn’t think of that!” Award.

Lollipop
Image Image
Production XV

Straight up, two vanilla entries with little modelling but some nice dynamic to the lone XV8, subtle touches and adjustments definitely noted by this Fio’O.

The 88 is a unique angle on the kit, I admire what it takes to mount them this way, but as I admitted in the WiP thread, I’m not a fan. Yet when reading the thread you learn LP is pushing his suit building, trying new things and in the second suit, just cranked the modification meter up several degrees. The pose and energy in that build presently sits amidst good company in my inspiration folder.

Lacking some fiction narfles the score somewhat, among no major modding present. But, I would like to point out, that in one generation of his modelling projects, the result is really cool. I look forward to future projects if that was ‘just’ his second build.

In a unique angle, I’m combining the two suits as one project ‘build’ score.

Awarded the “Vanilla Killa” title.

Score : 28/50

Davian
Prototype

Enjoyed the brief fiction and the a bit of modelling background in Davian’s showcase thread. Alotta tau in there let me tell you..

I like all the modifications of this suit, they’re subtle refinements on some ideas out there, but the jumpack is a great piece of work. The rifle is also a lot of fun. The part that let’s the suit down a little for me is the chest piece, relatively barren of these touches Davian applies about the entire build.

I feel this could almost fit under a production suit, as the subtly and clean modification almost make this look standard. Only a couple of things bring down the score on what is a cool XV8 with some sure to inspire additions.

Unanimously given the “Thrust or Bust” award.

Score : 37/50

Legacy40k
Image Image Image
Prototype

CC Suit :
Impressive piece, a lot of exotic parts (FW) and some heavy modification of the jetpack is smoothly done. The model really looks good and I like the smooth pose as it glides down onto the base. Cleanly built and some smart modelling make this a fine piece indeed. Missing a full background, sniffle.. would have loved some progress imagery too.

32/50

Broadside Suit :
I’ve seen a few one weapon 88’s about, yet this one does a convincing job of it. Some serious modelling going on here and a lot of additions that work well for the build. The legs seem a little unfinished so far however. I do like the kitbashed parts to make this model, a explanatory background helped but I did miss some progress images.

33/50

Thrust Suit :
This one made me sit up and have a look over more than the others. The pose is dynamic and the build itself is interesting though some cleaning on the greenstuff work lets it down a little from a pure competition perspective. The jetpack is bold take on that element of the XV8 and I like some of the ideas there. The background was fuller and I got a better feel for what was being aimed for in this model.
I do like the pose..in all, Legacy gets the ‘Original Kit not Included’ Award.

32/50

Chan05News
Production

Liked the background short story, good idea why he sports what he does. Its a bold use of parts indeed. A little limited in overall modification, feel some more integration of the wings into the jet pack could have done wonders for further enhancing the build. Good to see a conversational progress thread.

This madness gets the “This. Is. Spar’Tau!” Award.

Score : 28/50

O’Kunas’Anuk
Prototype

Big guns, oh to be Tau... I like the pose of this suit, good energy and focussed along a single axis. The weapons are well put together as is the whole suit. I’ve seen one before and its a good nod to WhiteKnight’s efforts. The jetpack lets this suit down though, the cleaning effort made on the front about the new sensor is vacant when needed on the adjusted pack. Overall, this is a good build, some nifty X-Weapons and cool helm. Enjoyed the details. Progress thread missing in action though..

Kunas get’s the ‘Acronym for the Win’ Award.

Frostbite
Prototype

This gets the ‘I can’t believe it’s not Gundam Award’ by Kai and myself. I’m no fan of this look personally, but it is convincingly executed and with some clever parts usage, even scratch building. It really does look like the build plodded along then Pow! Gundamafied..

The progress photos, the attention to details and keeping the build clean got big points in my book. The fiction was enjoyable and the alternate styling certainly makes you rethink tau design. A great entry.

Score : 40/50

dark-gear
Prototype

I really like this build. It somehow stays inside the design philosophy of Tau suits, adds in so many new ideas and a well fed progress thread just shows you all the parts and effort involved. I enjoyed the background, the work and the result. This suit speaks for itself with so many ideas and simple modifications combining to create a memorable piece. Not content with the suit, Dark even evolved the drones...

Easily given the ‘Preaching to the Converted’ Award.

Score : 47/50

Fio OT
Production

Solid modification of the core XV8, good kit bashing with some neat ideas like the reinforced shin pneumatics. I liked those. A little more cleaning here and there but overall two good suits. Good modelling overall. Miss my background reading though.. also the progress thread was a little bare, which would have been interesting in all the fiddly bits added to these chunky, “Here to take names” 88’s

Wins our much loved ’88’s Dictate’ Award.

Zuluhutu
Prototype

So, after modifying my main hangar, you only just fitted this behemoth in. I think we over stressed the deck plates on the concourse transporting this rig.

One cannot be blamed for being thoroughly impressed by the build. From scratch, heavily discussed progression and just mighty. I enjoyed the work and the results. Overall tightness of the design, so Tau yet much more. The weapons mean business and you can see the suit hauling them about readily. Awesome effort, I think it is not lost on anyone when I score this highly, however..

I could easily wander out and state this is a magnificent model. But our tally system of what defines the entries, it lacks some background, taking some hurt for that. Barely scratching this sucker..

Zulu, brilliant work man. This gets my ‘Big Trouble in Little T’au” Award. It would sweep the floor if we got some background about the Beast!

Score : 45/50

Jutami
Prototype

A solid entry, another single big gunned 88 special. Always enjoy these lads. Tread heavily and carry a Really Big gun..

The modelling is tight, part’s usage is impressive. Unique angles on the build, some subtle scratch building and clever posing make this an impressive model indeed. The progress thread is an education in alternate parts usage I highly recommend.

Miss the background, but overall an impressive build. Easily gets the "Top Chop Shop" award.

Score : 38/50

Commander Longfist
Prototype

a lot of modification going on here with strong additions. Most notable the cannon. I solid build with a dynamic pose. Really missing the progress thread. The background was brief, just wish I could see more into the construction of the suit.

Overall, clean construction and well integrated parts usage.

Presented the ‘Point n’Shoot’ award.

Cailil
Prototypes

Good bunch of big gunned suits about, it was hard to review these models, but the plentiful images certainly gave me a good idea. Quite a compiled progress thread.

I enjoy the posing of the second suit and the head modification on the third is nicely done. The sniper 88 is well constructed, some nice parts usage in there, clever use of parts to construct the ‘25s also. Background was brief but solid, gave me an understanding about the models. Overall good models, with some bold parts usage, I look forward to future projects.

Cailil gets our ‘Got Stealth?’ Award.

Score : 32/50 (average of all)

Final thoughts

Wow...wow... everyone pulled out their bitz boxes and workshop gloves. This is the single most impressive collection of modified XV8’s and Concepts I have EVER seen on the internet (of which I browse for modelling on far too much as it is). Collectively you have inspired many and offered up clever, smart and careful uses of parts and even well laid out guides to scratch building. The fiction was enjoyable and gave life to the models. I take my hat off to the entrants. Beautiful work with great execution. Thank you to all who entered, I hope you gleaned all sorts of inspiration off each other.

Most Notable Entry

Best Prototype XV8 in my eyes?.. It was extremely tight, causing me some consternation, everyone created unique models and did extensive scratch building with equally impressive progress threads. Congratulations Dark Gear, nicely done man! Unfortunately for you, we now expect this level of work in future.... kiddin' :P

The Best Production Entry goes to Kai’Lore and his modified XV-8, ‘Armored to the Core’. Among several production entries, the work was tight and it was interesting to see the many ways in which something complex could be easily rendered multiple times with clever parts usage. Overall the production entry section showed examples of smart parts usage everywhere. It has been greatly inspiring to me for one.

Best Production 88, Fio OT with his bold Big Guns redo of the '88s, nice work man :)

Best Prototype 88?.. well, it was snipers galore! 88's passing up on their dual guns everywhere. After a lot of comparing we came to the conclusion that..okay who am I kidding? Zuluhutu!.. superb work, greatly inspiring to all modelers out there! Simply stunning.

Best Xv25?.. unfortunately a lack of entries left this category bare, thanks Cailil! Really liked your modifications there.

Thanks to all from me and I am sure the whole membership of ATT, a brilliant collection from avid modelers. Zuluhutu, a special mention for creating and entirely new suit to boot! Check it out if you have not already!

well... so ...like, go paint ‘em!? :P

~ Shas’El Tael. :D
Last edited by Tael on Mar 21 2008 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

Support Drone
Kor'Vesa

Post#24 » Mar 18 2008 07:51

Anomaly logged, applying sub-routine patch shortly. Good day.

Draft Data removed, Issue fixed.

Tau'va.
Non-interactive systems monitor.

Return to “Galleries”