Challenges for Tau in Cities of Death

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
GodHead
Shas

Post#55 » Jun 04 2006 07:45

With the aforementioned Pathfinder team, I will be experimenting with a team of 11 Vespids and a team of 3 Helios Suits to take advantage of the 7.5 Markerlight tokens I will be generating in Cityfight. These two units using the markerlights should be able to whip out ~12 wounds against 3+ save baddies. The return on investment with these three units (Pathfinders, Vespid and Helios Team) will be huge if I can handle the difficulty of coordinating their assault and keeping the rather fragile elements alive long enough to be put to good use.

Appropriate use of cover, terrain, height and enemy destruction will be the keys.

...also I take the -1 cover save stragey. so the enemy will be getting 5+ or - cover save.

That strategem only works when you are above the enemy. Not all the time, be careful with that.
Rules Lawyer.

Pap'e'wai'o
Shas

Post#56 » Jun 04 2006 08:02

Do sensor spines have a knock on effect for the troops using Rappels?

In other words can they ignore dangerous terrain test if the transport that deploys them ignores deganerous terrain?

Also against AP 1/2 weapons is there any point having shield drones and instead another type of drone due to the amount of 4+ cover...
Plan the Victory First, Attend the Battle Last.

GodHead
Shas

Post#57 » Jun 04 2006 08:47

Yes there are still two points for taking shield drones, the first is Mixed Toughness rules, and the second is weapons that ignore cover saves.
Rules Lawyer.

Pap'e'wai'o
Shas

Post#58 » Jun 04 2006 11:25

Apart from using MLs, how many weapons have an AP lower then 4 and ignore cover?
Plan the Victory First, Attend the Battle Last.

Marc
Shas

Post#59 » Jun 05 2006 07:18

Pap'e'wai'o wrote:Apart from using MLs, how many weapons have an AP lower then 4 and ignore cover?

eldar pathfinder and rangers when combinded witht the master snipers rule. but why would you want you battle suits be in cover? that means you have to walk into cover or take a dangerous terrian test every time you used you jet pack. but there is also another advantage of sheild drones is that people wont take armour periceing wepaon and will go with rate of fire because of the cover saves making 3+ saves still useful

in City fight there is lots of fire corridors its very possible that a vyper will bounded down a road and rake you with starcannon fire and there will be no cover

I havent got the book but can any one tell me because of the COD 25% scoring unit rule would bonding be any more useful?

Prophaniti
Shas

Post#60 » Jun 05 2006 01:17

Well I would think bonding is much more useful here. It allows regrouping in the 25-49% of original strength range where it is still scoring but would not be allowed to regroup unless bonded. It also means that the enemy gets no VP's for a unit that would count as destroyed otherwise.

kycer
Shas

Post#61 » Jun 06 2006 12:38

Marc wrote:
but why would you want you battle suits be in cover? that means you have to walk into cover or take a dangerous terrian test every time you used you jet pack.

Do suits have a choice as to whether or not they have to use their jetpack? For example, can they chose to simply walk those 6" into/through terrain?
7th Mechanized Hunter Cadre from Au'taal.

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#62 » Jun 06 2006 12:43

kycer wrote: Do suits have a choice as to whether or not they have to use their jetpack? For example, can they chose to simply walk those 6" into/through terrain?

In the case of our assault movement no there is no choice. You use the jet pack or you don't move. If however you are assaulting, as with jump pack troops (i think we have these terms the right way around) the assault is made on foot, hence you take a difficult terrain test to ensure you get to hth.

<Edited a few times to get the quote to work ;) >

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#63 » Jun 06 2006 12:52

Being able to walk instead of jump in the movement phase is very useful indeed.
For example my Crisis are behind a ruin, but the ruin is wider than 6". So you just walk d6 into the ruin, shoot, and jump back out again. This way your suits don't die, and you still end up behind cover again.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

GodHead
Shas

Post#64 » Jun 06 2006 01:02

For your movement phase movement, you can choose to make it on foot or with the Jet Pack. I thought that they had to use their Jet Pack ability in the Assault Phase, but now looking at the rules, I can no longer find it, as the rules for Jump Infantry is clear that they use normal infantry movement in their Assault move, and Jet Packs are simply a modified sub-form of Jump Infantry, and no mention of this is made in their rules:

Movement Phase
Jump infantry can move up to 12" in the Movement phase, instead of the normal 6" move. This is optional and they can choose to move as normal infantry if they wish. When using Jump Packs, movement is not reduced for difficult terrain, and jump pack models can move over other models or obstacles freely. However if they end their move in difficult terrain, they mst take a Dangerous Terrain test.

Rulebook p.55

Ok, so that's the optional movement rules for Jump infantry that is shared with Jet Packs(although it is modified as shown below).

Assault Phase
Jump infantry assault 6" like normal infantry. This move is slowed by difficult terrain in the same way as other infantry, because the unit tends to cover the last few yards of a charge on foot.

So Jump infantry can NOT use their Jump packs to assault. This is NOT modified by what is given below for Jet Packs.

Jet Packs
Some Jump Infantry are equipped with a specal type of jump pack, referred to as a jet pack. The most frequent users of this technology are the Tau. Jet packs are designed to provide stable firing platforms rather than a means of getting into close combat. Jet packs differ from jump packs in the following ways:

- Note that they are Jump Infantry in every way BUT those I am about to list:
In the movement phase, they only move 6" when using their packs, but are allowed to move 6" in the Assault phase even if they don't assault. This allows them to put more distance between themselves and the enemy.

In the shooting phase, models with jet packs are allowed to fire rapid fire weapons once at up to maximum range, even if the unit has moved. They are also allowed to declare a charge after firing rapid fire weapons.

Note that it says they are allowed to move 6" in the Assault phase, but the prohibition of "assault like normal infantry... slowed by difficult terrain like normal infantry... etc." is not modified in any way. Nowhere does it say you must use the Jump ability during your assault move, or modify the restrictions already given for Jump Infantry.

The older Tau Codex had the prohibition written into the Tau Jet Pack rules, but they are no longer in force. Have we been playing this one wrong all this time???
Rules Lawyer.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#65 » Jun 06 2006 01:52

Hmm, that is very interesting. If you are indeed right, and we actually walk in the Assault Phase, then that would change a lot.

For one it would make Crisis / Stealth a lot more viable in Cityfight.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#66 » Jun 06 2006 01:52

interesting and seemingly valid point GH, the rules do seem to state that the Tau Jetpack allows the user the option to choose between modes for both parts of their move.

Hmm, how can we verify this, any takers? This would naturally be a very big topic with regards to CoD.

kai

Spooky
Shas

Post#67 » Jun 06 2006 03:00

Note that they are Jump Infantry in every way BUT those I am about to list:

Quote:
In the movement phase, they only move 6" when using their packs,

taken out of context there, but does that mean we're only allowed to jet in the movement phase? so you can't actually walk into terrain with 2D6-pick-the-highest, at all?

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#68 » Jun 06 2006 03:02

Spooky wrote: Note that they are Jump Infantry in every way BUT those I am about to list:

Quote:
In the movement phase, they only move 6" when using their packs,

taken out of context there, but does that mean we're only allowed to jet in the movement phase? so you can't actually walk into terrain with 2D6-pick-the-highest, at all?

Huh ?
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

GodHead
Shas

Post#69 » Jun 06 2006 03:04

No, that part is meant to simply reduce the 12" Jump Pack movement to the 6" Jet Pack movement, and does nothing to preclude still being able to choose to walk as normal infantry. That "only" should be read "merely", as in they can merely move 6" instead of 12" when using the Jet movement.

Note it says "when using their packs", not that they must use them for that movement.
Last edited by GodHead on Jun 06 2006 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Rules Lawyer.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#70 » Jun 06 2006 03:06

Phew, got scared for a while there.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

mont'ka
Shas

Post#71 » Jun 06 2006 05:03

Mephet'ran wrote: If you are indeed right, and we actually walk in the Assault Phase, then that would change a lot.

However it would also imply that we aren't allowed to jump!
So no more jumping OVER a wall, shooting and jumping back OVER the wall again.
Not very good.

Marc
Shas

Post#72 » Jun 06 2006 12:30

It does indeed seam so

instead walk into building then jet out. you instead jet out of building then walk inside. useful. thought it also sorts out the move and shoot stealths with markerlights. because they havent used there jetpacks in the movment phase they may not walk in the assualt phase

Return to “Archival Datacore”