Extent of shield drone useage?

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Davian
Shas

Extent of shield drone useage?

Post#1 » Jun 04 2006 02:01

The concensus seems to be pretty clear that a pair of them is pretty much necessary on BASS teams, and with that I agree, but I seem to be getting conflicting messages on their use in other units. Their usefulness isn't something that can be easily calculated, since one must take into account numerous factors, such as the unit's ability to avoid incoming fire through use of terrain or stealth, the overall necessity of keeping the unit alive, and the cost/effectiveness of simply using the points to buy more guns. I've seen some people who give them to all their squads, others who don't use any at all, and still others that give them to some squads, but not others.

Since I didn't see a thread dedicated to the subject as I skimmed back through the archives, I was just hoping to hear to what extent people use shield drones, on what units, and their reasonings behind doing so. Hopefully, that will spur some discussion, and we may be able to come up with a few guidelines for the newer people. Either that, or the opposing camps will just dig in and mock each other mercilessly ;) .

Personally, I see shield drones attached to Fire Warriors or Pathfinders as a complete and utter waste. They simply aren't worth enough points to make them worthwhile. Also, I never use them on Stealth units, since the stealth field provides ample protection from shooting. It's with Crisis teams, though, that I'm torn. Currently, I give them to any squads armed with shorter range weapons (Aurora, Helios), while leaving them off the longer range variants (Deathrain). Fireknife, though, is sort of in the middle of the pack, so it poses a conundrum. Additionally, I'm undecided as to whether or not any HQ units with bodyguards should automatically get first priority, regardless of their loadouts, in order to protect their higher points costs.

That's my two cents, anyway. Thoughts?

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#2 » Jun 04 2006 02:06

I take SDs on BASS and on Crisis, they're (apart from HQ and RHs) the workhorses of my list, and taking 2 SDs is just a must. I play against some pretty sick lists sometimes, Dsing Asscanns, Vyper Starcannons, etc and without SDs my Crisis and BASS just die like flies.
Last edited by Mephet'ran on Jun 06 2006 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

Prophaniti
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 04 2006 02:11

I've used shield drones as a replacement for shield generators in my old (pre-TE) list. This is simply because I was finding that most of the time my suits were dying to single shot S8+ from las/plas squads or the equivalent. The drone is 5pts less and failing the save just means you lose a drone rather than a suit.

So now my commander and 2 individual broadsides have a single shield drone each.

I also did this because I didn't want to make too many changes and have to paint loads of stuff, I have enough to do as it is.

I realise this choice falls down a bit when faced with multiple incoming shots from a single unit, but even with only 2 instDeath shots shield generators only gave a 25% survival rate.

Lord Stark
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 04 2006 11:36

I have never used SD's simply because I can't find them. Is there any other way to get them than buying 18 pathfinder Shas'Uis?

onlainari
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#5 » Jun 05 2006 12:58

You can make 1 shield drone for each crisis you buy. It's a gun drone without guns, and 2 antenna.

Fireknives can still be very good without shield drones, but are better with them.
100/19/20 w/d/l
Tournament: 21/4/4 w/d/l

Mornedhel
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 05 2006 02:15

Or you can simply bitz order them, either just the additional parts you need if you have enough gun drone sprues, or the complete SD. It´s not too expensive imo, and looks way better than a converted gun drone.

As for their usage, I will paint up a pair of SDs for each Crisis and Broadside unit I get. I will most likely use them most of the time, because otherwise I´d feel inclined to use shield generators, and that would leave my Crisis with only two hardpoints - much less flexible.

Spooky
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 05 2006 03:54

yea they're easy to make, and important for crisis, don't need them on deathrain though.

the_vOiD
Shas

Post#8 » Jun 05 2006 06:20

The Vehicle-Sprue has got some nice antennas as well that might fit for a shield drone.

The Mighty Qu'in
Por

Post#9 » Jun 05 2006 06:22

For the seconf antennae the multi tracker provides a nice substitute. Just a bit of clipping and holding, and voila.
If it feels Groovy, Do it.

Calvin
Kor

Post#10 » Jun 05 2006 04:38

Or a couple of crisis suit shield generators stuck together or attached to gun drones. Then drill a whole in them and stick them on a spare flying base. To be honest I have a slightly rag tag set of shield drones, but I kinda like it. Means my stealth ones can look different from my crisis ones or Bass ones. Seeing as they are supposed to move the way their parent unit does now, it makes sense they would all look slightly different. I even have a few crawlers ones but I guess that's an old trick.

Traumaron
Shas

Post#11 » Jun 05 2006 06:05

Lord Stark wrote:I have never used SD's simply because I can't find them. Is there any other way to get them than buying 18 pathfinder Shas'Uis?

You can bitz order them online. Look at the bitz for the Pathfinder TL. You can get the small bottom saucer and the antennae and use the drone bitz from your crisis suits.

$2.50 US for a set without the plastic drone parts.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/stor ... Nav=302121

Stonefox
Shas

Post#12 » Jun 05 2006 11:17

Traumaron wrote:$2.50 US for a set without the plastic drone parts.

Bah, might as well just buy the actual shield bit. Everyone has too many drones lying around anyway, so why not just use the extra antennae from there?

P.S. I love the GW bits ordering service. Especially since they've added a little station in every GW store.
My hamham plays warhams. WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAMS WARHAM

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Jun 06 2006 12:39

EVA - Stonefox wrote:P.S. I love the GW bits ordering service. Especially since they've added a little station in every GW store.

:::( To the best of my knowledge such services are still not available in Australia, we have to order from GW UK Online to get stuff ... and with the exchange rate that gets a tad expensive. Same goes with Forgeworld stuff. :::(

Aglim
Shas

Post#14 » Jun 06 2006 04:18

Shield Drones are important for crisis but...in a crisis heavy list putting 2 SD's on each team would resuld in an huge point investment...

Isn't it better to take anly 1 shield drone?
For wich type of suit you wouldn't take SD's?

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#15 » Jun 06 2006 05:46

1 SD is fairly pointless, 2 is much better.

As for the pts sink, if the list is Crisis heavy, then you need to protect the Crisis anyway, so its worth it. In fact, the more Crisis you have, the more it is worth it.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Spooky
Shas

Post#16 » Jun 06 2006 05:53

yea what Mephet'ran said :P

Aglim
Shas

Post#17 » Jun 06 2006 06:34

I find that my crisis suit only takes at max 1-2 str 8+ shot in a match...so 1 shield drone is sufficient to grant them to survive...

Why do you say 1 is pointless?

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#18 » Jun 06 2006 07:46

Ever played against Starcannons, Dsing Asscans, Ionheads, etc that why you need 2.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Return to “Archival Datacore”