Squadron of Piranhas

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Taujan
Shas

Squadron of Piranhas

Post#1 » Jul 02 2006 03:30

I've just bought the 3 Piranha box (didn't want to wait for the 1 model box to come out). I've just finished painting them.

But now is the question how to use them, I've equiped them all with FB's.
So I think I should be using them as a tank hunter unit.

I know its a lot of points for 3 FB's but I thought the fast skimmer rule would make up for it.

Is it a good idea to put a squadron of 3 in a 1500 pts list?
Mad Doks HQ

Quince25
Shas

Post#2 » Jul 02 2006 03:58

it seems as though it depends on what other units you are fielding. maybe post a projected work in progress list in the new cadre army list forum. pirhana can be difficult to use at first...especially armed with the fb(hopefully with ta) form...I think of them in swordfighting terms as fencing...they can be deadly effective if you gain skill with them...but the learning curve is higher than just swinging an axe.

Flashman
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 02 2006 07:27

Quince25 wrote:I think of them in swordfighting terms as fencing...they can be deadly effective if you gain skill with them...but the learning curve is higher than just swinging an axe.

LoL... nice analogy :D
#43 formally known as El' & yes I still come here

cyberzomby
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 03 2006 03:54

If you put in a TA and keep them behind cover it should be alright.

Better yet would be a few hammerheads or a devilfish there 2 to distract enemy tank fire from youre piranhas

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 03 2006 05:58

Piranhas are like one sided swords, without the TA equips they are hopeful assassins against tanks and bigger vehicles. Distracting opponents becomes the trick when trying to get them into position, once your opponent loses track of them there you go.

I have playtested small games and tanks hate to see them in FB, troop heavy armies including nids hate the original config.
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Spooky
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 03 2006 06:35

they're not very good, they die too fast, and suffer the meltagun curse
(if its an important shot, that you've committed yourself to cos of the range, then its going to miss)

basically they have a fair bit of potential threat of what they can do, a fair amount of options.

but each time you use them to do something, or even bring it out of hiding, then you need to assume it will die immediately.

so it can do a lot of things (not particularly well though) but if you try and use it to do something, then consider it a 1 shot weapon and that it will die. so you better make sure you use it for something worthwhile.

i use one in my farsight army, because otherwise i have no fast objective claiming. and, farsight suffers hard against indirect ordnance so i need the fast fusion to try and get rid of it if i can't kill it directly.

in a normal tau army i wouldn't bother.

oh and they're definitely only worth bothering with if they have fusion, and the TA is important too, making them 70 pts for the standard one i think.

finally, i wouldn't ever want to use them in squads, use them seperately if at all possible

Flashman
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 03 2006 08:04

Spooky wrote:finally, I wouldn't ever want to use them in squads, use them seperately if at all possible

Firstly... why?

Secondly I disagree. They're surely far more survivable in groups. I wouldn't field them in squads of less than two, but then maaaybe that's just me? :nice:
#43 formally known as El' & yes I still come here

Fal'Shia Mont'Ka Vendrak
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 03 2006 08:17

The problem with squads is, that you'd have to leave one of them behind if one of them is not able to move next turn. On the other hand it drags on your Fast Attack slots, but if you have all your Fast Attack choices open and you're only planning to take Piranhas for them, then I'd say single Piranhas are always better than squads.
Also you can easily send them to different locations on the board if they're all single units. As such I'd say vehicles like them, which are fragile and only good when on the constant move, are better fielded as single units, rather than in squads.
Ah, yes, mere infantry - poor beggars... - Plautus

Spooky
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 04 2006 02:57

if someone has a unit... lets say 4x tank hunting autocannons (which has been the bane of my railheads in the past, with its 8x str8 shots)

and the unit puts out a load of glances into a piranha squadron, and it rolls up destroyed, immobile, stunned, weapon destroyed.

if that was a squad of 1 piranha, its dead.
if that was a squad of 3 piranha, 2 are dead, and the other one is screwed.

taking them in squads means the firepower from a single enemy unit can take out multiple piranhas, rather than it being over-kill on a single piranha.

also, as mentioned if one gets stunned, it screws over the rest of the squad. they can (just about) move over 6" to remain glance-only, but have to remain within 4" coherency so it limits them a great deal.

Taujan
Shas

Post#10 » Jul 04 2006 02:48

I think I'll take them as single units as long as don't have use for other fast attack choices.
I think its time for playtesting then....
Mad Doks HQ

Marc
Shas

Post#11 » Jul 05 2006 07:49

how good they are depends on how much terrain you play with

at the moment i realy only play cod and i've only used them as in proxying in a devil fish but so far so good. the building provide good cover and allow them to use there armour to full advantage.

there are tricks you can do like feeding frezy and seeker form behind which work well and i have had them esort units of the board as well

as you can see the squardon is not an advantage. its only benfit is not taking up another fast slot.

Return to “Archival Datacore”