Drone Net VX1-0

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Pseudomancer
Shas

Re: Drone Net VX1-0

Post#55 » Feb 15 2016 05:01

Phew, ok. So the basic, slightly better than expected, version works. That's better game design than absurd force multiplication.
The Eastern Fringe Co-prosperity Sphere wants you!

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#56 » Feb 15 2016 06:20

Pseudomancer wrote:There are disadvantages, first among them, the markerlight inefficiency. So find other ways to make it reliable - the biggest squad with a drone controller attached, for example. VX1-0 drones have BS4.5, so they're already pretty good though. This will slow down your shooting phase quite a lot; it also relies on your opponent rolling lots of dice so that slows it down even further.

As has been pointed out the most you can do is split-fire one drone in each squad. If you run 4-strong squads you can still create more pinning opportunities but my experience is that it really does slow everything down a lot so think carefully whether it is worth it before giving it a try.

I have done this once and forced 5 pinning checks on my opponent with Interceptor fire but he made all of them so it was wasted time in a tournament with very tight timings (2:30 for games at 1850).

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#57 » Feb 15 2016 07:35

Still... give up one drone each squad to shoot at the unit you want to charge / be pinned for other reasons.
Still better than NOT having this option.

Also, can you take two same formations? :D

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#58 » Feb 15 2016 07:37

nic wrote:
Pseudomancer wrote:so it was wasted time in a tournament with very tight timings (2:30 for games at 1850).

Unless you want it slowed down ;)

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#59 » Feb 15 2016 08:35

Zigmunth wrote:Still... give up one drone each squad to shoot at the unit you want to charge / be pinned for other reasons.
Still better than NOT having this option.

Also, can you take two same formations? :D

You could take 2 formations, or just one with extra drone squads.

It is a nice option and using it to charge a unit you have barely shot at would be neat. Drones are OK at shutting down shooty squads like Devastators.

I would probably not bother with it on Interceptor again. That list eats Skyhammer for breakfast already so it is just a bunch of extra dice rolling that stops me having time to bring the game to its natural conclusion.

Pseudomancer
Shas

Post#60 » Feb 15 2016 10:51

The VX1-0 drones also have Precision Shots - so remember to assassinate the sergeant if you're going for pinning.

Though usually, assassinating the special weapons dudes will be more effective/reliable, especially if there's only one or two in the squad.
The Eastern Fringe Co-prosperity Sphere wants you!

Zigmunth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Feb 15 2016 11:12

And with the sarge they get 4+ look out sir. I guess it would still apply, unless Precision Shot rule negates this.

bobthemime
Shas'Saal

Post#62 » Feb 18 2016 11:24

gustmic wrote:Further, if you go CAD you kind of get the troops as a major tax as you already has filled up your slot of S5AP5-shots through gun drones

Not to seem a stickler on this point, and it may have been adressed later on, as I am reading and replying as I go.

2x Naked Monats w/ 2xGunDrones each is the price of a 5 man scout squad. With a flamer or two each, they are CXIV. Not exactly a tax for 6 bodies (4 of which are the needed Drones), that can happily sit on objectives while the rest of the army kills things.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#63 » Feb 19 2016 12:51

If their job is merely to camp objectives and avoid fights, won't they be better off with marker drones?
Or while at it toss missile pods so they can fling a bit of firepower from afar?

bobthemime
Shas'Saal

Post#64 » Feb 19 2016 08:05

boomwolf wrote:If their job is merely to camp objectives and avoid fights, won't they be better off with marker drones?
Or while at it toss missile pods so they can fling a bit of firepower from afar?

i was figuring that if they are there to camp, gun drones will help to clear whats charging/close by.

Besides it was just to show how little points Monats are. 2 drones are more expensive

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#65 » Feb 19 2016 08:20

Only if you take no guns at all, and I don't see a reason to do that.
I mena, if you are taking gun drones the least you can do is pack burst cannons as well.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#66 » Feb 25 2016 03:28

That's actually a pretty ineffective use of the drones. it's pretty easy to make a single suit with drones run off of the objective after very little shooting.

sure use your monat to hold the point, but stick a squad of 4 gun drones between him and the enemy. he gets cover saves from the drones if they try to shoot him, and the drones themselves get jink+go to ground and must be shot to death by a different unit then the one shooting at the suit. they also must be cleared away by a seperate squad if the enemy wants to assault your suit.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#67 » Mar 09 2016 04:07

OP re-written to be more of a tactica hopefully including most of the lessons/ideas discussed in the thread. If I have missed anything please let me know.

It would be nice to have a few tactica for the 7th edition refresh of Tau. If we do put a few together perhaps a mod could create a sticky linking to them?

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#68 » Mar 10 2016 01:50

nic wrote:OP re-written to be more of a tactica hopefully including most of the lessons/ideas discussed in the thread. If I have missed anything please let me know.

It would be nice to have a few tactica for the 7th edition refresh of Tau. If we do put a few together perhaps a mod could create a sticky linking to them?

If we can present it as a decent and coherent article, certainly!

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#69 » Nov 25 2016 01:51

Minor update for the new FAQ.

This one probably belongs a little way back in the queue for going into the academy articles but I think this formation is a popular enough choice to justify having there eventually.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#70 » Nov 27 2016 07:04

It is worth it to note that you are not able to Jink and GtG per the official finalized FAQ of the BRB.

This will also be useful to keep in mind should your drones decide to charge a unit and hold them up in combat.
Q: Can you Jink against Overwatch attacks?
A: Yes.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#71 » Dec 04 2016 02:25

AnonAmbientLight wrote:It is worth it to note that you are not able to Jink and GtG per the official finalized FAQ of the BRB.

that was the change I made to the OP

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#72 » Feb 28 2017 11:52

New tau player here.
Need to clarify on points cost for Drone Net Formation:

So drone net formation must have 4 units of drones...

1. So can i have only 4 models of drone and call it Drone net formation?

2. Or do I really have to get 4 units of drone (1 unit= 4 models of drones, so thats 16 MODELS of drone in total) and only then can say this is the Drone Net formations?

*coz i thought to form a unit you must have 1-3 models or more as per that unit composition; which means 1 model can be its 1 unit alone*

*so 4 models of drones = 4 units of their own = hence can form the Drone Net formations?* :?

Return to “Archival Datacore”