Tau vs Necrons: tips, tricks, and tactics

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
SkellaHomie
Shas

Tau vs Necrons: tips, tricks, and tactics

Post#1 » Apr 20 2016 02:47

Couldn't find a thread specifically for this. I have yet to beat necrons, or even see them beaten on the table. not sure what I'm doing wrong, but they refuse to stay dead.
I've tried focusing fire, I've tried suppressing, I've tried running ambush tactics. To quote Ivan Drago from Rocky 4, "he's not human, he's like a piece of iron!"

This is what I usually run in games around 1000 points

12-24 firewarriors - I use them either for bubble wrapping, or to take out vehicles (emp grenades)

commander plus 2 crisis suits and 6 gun drones- I give commander drone controller to make sure the drones are hitting on bs5

4 marker drones

Riptide with ion- Use him for interference

Hammer head with rail and sub shots

and then I havent had a chance to use them against necrons yet but I also got

10 pathfinders+drones, 2 Missilesides, and a Stormsurge

and I don't typically take them but I also have 13 kroot and a krootox

Thanks for any help you can offer bros!

Raverrn
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau vs Necrons: tips, tricks, and tactics

Post#2 » Apr 20 2016 10:07

Take the Stormsurge into them. He can put the hurt on two units a turn - either 2x S10 Large Blasts or 1 S10 large blast and then the stomping fury. The best way to deal with Necrons is Destroyer and Instant Death attacks - torrents of fire don't tend to work all that well.

A nasty surprise you can pull against most of their units is a Commander with Iridum and Fusion Blades - in CC he can cause a lot of wounds, and Necrons aren't fearless, so you stand a good chance of sweeping his unit and running them all down! Just don't try it against Wraiths!

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Apr 21 2016 04:35

Necrons have powerful guns but fairly short range. Try to stay far away from him, and only deepstrike suits if there is a very high priority target or you're sure that you can get to safety with the jetpacks.

Weapons with Instant Death give -1 to their Reanimation Protocol. That applies even if the targeted model has Eternal Warrior.

You mention that you have drone controller to get bs5 on your gun drones. That's better spent on improving your marker drones IMO. Gun drones are just filler attacks, but your markerlights are super important for making the stormsurge function properly.

And my personal favorite, Darkstrider+Gunrig is an excellent way of dealing with a Canoptek Harvest formation. He can oneshot the spider (its only defense is a 6+ RP, 5+ if in a Decurion), and without it the wraiths do not have RP.

imran_tauyab
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Apr 21 2016 05:25

I'd swap the Rail for the Ion Cannon on the Hammerhead and maybe also add longstrike.
Hailing from Sept Elsy'eir

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Apr 21 2016 05:56

Stormsurge is a lot of pts to give up for a single model in 1000 PT game. I own both necrons and tau and have generally found necrons are weakest when you volley a lot of ap3/4 at them. No necron units can survive without a save for long unless they are in a Decurion to boost their FnP. Swap the riptide fusion for the rending cannon and double down with T-L plasma rifle. Take no tanks as almost every unit in their army kills them relatively quick. Necrons also boast relatively high ap values so broadsides and crisis generally own them.

Be wary of destroyers. Preferred enemy and ap3 x2 shots are wicked vs suits. They are generally the first things you want to target. Necron tanks can also be intimidating due to their shield but don't let that fool you. Go all out with str7+ until they drop dead. EMP fire warriors help with this too. The Lord's are easily their best units, and can be ridiculously powerful if fielded in a Royal Court. Having suits will help you with this as you'll be able to scatter if they use the veil to deep strike the entire court on top of your army, then cast solar staves ability to keep them from being scratched.

All in all they are relatively well rounded as an army and are certainly not overpowered for their points. Just be aware of what each unit can do and specialize your lists to be able to handle all of their threats as tau can do like no other army can.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Apr 21 2016 10:26

1) Kill the transports

2) Focus fire on troops

3) Keep as far away as possible.

Necron have low strength weapons, but they don't need it. Most of their weapons have Gauss, which always wounds on a 6 and always glances on a 6. They are rapid fire weapons, meaning they want to get close to cause the most damage. In order to do that, they typically take Ghostarks AKA McRibs. These things are tough, and should be your first target to bring down. They have a 13AV shield on front and sides. This shield drops if it receives a Pen. Afterwards it is AV11 or10. I don't remember which. It has FOUR hull points and it is relatively cheap for what it does.

It can transport troops and is considered open top. This means that the troops can shoot out of it, and it has guns layered on both sides of the hull. It can bring pretty scary firepower if you let it get close. Don't let it get close.

So what if your opponent has bad dice rolls, and doesn't get many 6s to kill your tanks or MC? Not to worry, Necron are one of the toughest armies in the game. They get a special FnP roll for all of their troops. This roll is called Reanimation Protocols, and it works exactly like FnP, except you cannot out S the FnP roll. Your opponent will always be able to use it, and if you double out his Toughness, or have ID on your weapon, it reduces his roll by -1.

If your opponent takes the Decrion detachment (he probably will) he will get a FnP roll on a +4. On TOP of this the Ghostark can also resurrect dead warriors, and the HQ can assist with FnP rolls as well, boosting the army's chances to succeed once a game if he buys a certain item.

Otherwise Necron are rather middle ground in terms of durability. They are T4, and have a crappy 4+ armor save. This doesn't matter too much because they almost always roll with a 4+ FnP. Still, any weapon that can ignore armor will help a bunch!

So, to go back to what I said above. Kill the transports ASAP. You have to stop them from getting close to you. Prioritize units that are close to your troops. These are the ones that are going to put the hurt on you. Remember that most of the Necron range is 24''. Finally, keep as far away as possible. Start with your ass to the back field. Move your troops further away from them (if possible) while they advance.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

SkellaHomie
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 23 2016 11:12

Great Advice you guys! :D

So basically, the general rule of thumb is lots of 1-3AP shots?

I guess the Stormsurge would be best as far as crowd control, though in smaller games it is sort of a points sink. and Ion in general is probably a good idea against these guys

I also just picked up 3 more crisis suits and another squad of firewarriors, which I may turn into breachers just for fun.
As I'm modelling my new crisis suits (don't have the stuff to screw with magnets) is there a better general purpose loadout than what I usually run? (plasma/missiles)

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#8 » Apr 24 2016 10:47

Hey SkellaHomie, I was wondering what kind of Necrons you typically face? Are they using formations and what type of units are you fighting mostly?

Czar Ziggy

SkellaHomie
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 26 2016 12:37

Hey Ziggy. :fear:

I play with two different armies, one guy that's just starting out and another that is a veteran.

When I last played the veteran, he had a few squads of warriors, he had some immortals with tesla, a monolith, a lord or possibly an overlord (can't remember which), some of those wraiths with all the tentacles, and I can't remember what else, but I think he had some vehicles. it's been a minute since I last played him.

The newer player runs: An Overlord with staff of light, 12 warriors, 3 scarabs, 5 immortals with gauss weapons, a monolith, and both of the c'tan shard variants (deceiver and nightbringer).

He just got the monolith and the c'tan shards, so I haven't played those yet, but I'm going to be bringing lots of AP and more suits than i previously had against necrons. I don't think either of them ran/run formations, but with the decurion buffs it's really only a matter of time. And I'm not sure how I feel about those god shard dudes. :?

Thanks for the help!

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Apr 26 2016 01:54

If your friend is running both the c'tan you should have him contact me. I can help him with tactics for getting the most out of his army. Cool as the night bringer and deceiver models are there's no excuse outside apoc to ever play more than 1.

Far as anti necron tactics go, I haven't been beaten with a teched out court yet, so be very very cautious of that. You can go from playing against an army of 4+ Armor and a FnP (which is still nasty) to 3+/4++ Armor with FnP and rerolls on FnP with multiple wounds each. This makes their army nearly unkillable, especially when warscythes are involved. Royal Courts are expensive but very few deathstars even last long against them. Add in their flayed one-based supplement and you run into all sorts of bafoonery. like I mentioned before, just do some research and be aware of what you're fighting ahead of time and you generally can find a way to win against them.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

SkellaHomie
Shas

Post#11 » Apr 26 2016 06:57

I beat him and the two c'tan. looks like putting nearly 500 points into two units was his undoing, he was pretty bent out of shape about it.

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks bros! https://youtu.be/R43dYg_Kuc0

Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Apr 28 2016 03:30

Agreed. He should take that as a lesson learned. C'Tan aren't exactly durable anymore with 4++ armour. Even in the formation with FnP C'Tan are extremely high priority targets. Too many shots, after awhile they stop absorbing them.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

counterwave
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Aug 24 2016 09:53

Speaking as Necron and Tau player, Tau are probably one of the worst matchups for Necrons. I think the mistake that many players make when fighting Necrons is loading up on as much AP3/4 as possible. This is a mistake. A lot of Necron units have invulnerable saves and if you punch through my armour I don't really mind because I always get Reanimation Protocols.

What I'm most afraid of as a Necron player is volume. I don't have many units on the table and, as others have mentioned, my engagement range is short. Tau have so much long range S5/7. My recommendation is to load up on Pulse Rifles and Missile Pods, sit back and just force saves. Do this and you're likely to come out on top.
The Devil Hides in You!

budro
Shas

Post#14 » Sep 01 2016 04:09

I agree with counterwave. I just faced a necron army this past weekend in an 1850 pt rtt. The 3+ and 4+ fnp was a pain to get through on the destroyers. Volume of fire is really the only way to beat the fnp rolls. Make him roll enough and eventually he'll fail.

That's why I ended up almost tabling him while only losing a surge and one riptide. High rate of fire from the hbc Ripwing, a two keel OSC and a surge put out a ton of shots. That and two lucky rolls (seize and a failed veil ds for him) won the game for me.

I would recommend dropping the railhead. Tau vehicles just don't have the staying power anymore. Put the marker drones with the commander. For the price of the six gun drones you could switch over to running fse and add in three naked crisis suits for objective secured troop choices.

And I highly recommend magnetizing you crisis. If you play tau for any length of time you're going to want to be able to change up your weapons for different play styles.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Mar 29 2017 11:06

Necrons are such a pain to bring down. Agree to most opinions here. Sheer volume of shots is prob the way to bring them down. On a side note, prob in 1850 matches or equivalent, i suggest bring in a Taunar with Pulse ordance. D blast them, hopefully lands some sixes, that would be insta death for them. SS only got 4 destroyer missiles that needs markelights to boost to D strength.

Return to “Archival Datacore”