Devilfish & Breacher Tactics

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Devilfish & Breacher Tactics

Post#19 » Oct 24 2016 11:22

Ah, so I was right initially then. :)

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#20 » Oct 24 2016 12:31

Yes, Breachers are one of those great 'horns of a dilemma' units.

They can really hurt if they get where they need to go, but stopping them from getting there forces the enemy to ignore something else that's going to hurt them badly if they let it live.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Oct 24 2016 01:05

That's something you always try to do though. You never want any of your units not be a threat for your enemy. Every turn one of your units is not a threat (killpotential or objective wise) means you wasted their points that turn.

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Oct 24 2016 06:10

Couldn't you also throw a ethereal in the DF, and get the Brechers a extra shot each with "storm of fire", actually with the drones and DF to get the BS+1, wouldn't they all then get an extra shot?

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#23 » Oct 24 2016 06:45

Blade Runner wrote:Couldn't you also throw a ethereal in the DF, and get the Brechers a extra shot each with "storm of fire", actually with the drones and DF to get the BS+1, wouldn't they all then get an extra shot?

As I don't have the 7th edition codex, I can't answer the first question (though the answer is likely yes, as the Pulse Blaster is probably listed as a Pulse weapon in a way that qualifies it for the Ethereal's Storm of Fire).

Regarding the second question, the Drones would be able to get the extra shot (as they wield twin-linked Pulse Carbines, which are definitely on the list i mentioned above), but the Devilfish's Burst Cannon would not (as it is listed as a Burst weapon, not a Pulse weapon).

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Oct 24 2016 07:56

Oh ya forgot about the burst cannon, my bad

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Oct 24 2016 10:19

Blade Runner wrote:Couldn't you also throw a ethereal in the DF, and get the Brechers a extra shot each with "storm of fire", actually with the drones and DF to get the BS+1, wouldn't they all then get an extra shot?

Pulse blasters do qualify but only get the extra shot if within half the range of the weapon's maximum range, which is what you'd be going for anyway.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Oct 25 2016 03:48

Yeah, the Facebook FAQ clarified that it's within half the full range, not that particular range band, so within 7.5" - 8" rounded - you get +1 shot. Makes for a face-melting 3 S6 AP3 shots each at 5", but you have to balance that with the risk of attaching an Ethereal to such a suicidal unit.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#27 » Oct 25 2016 06:21

CoffeeGrunt wrote:Yeah, the Facebook FAQ clarified that it's within half the full range, not that particular range band, so within 7.5" - 8" rounded - you get +1 shot. Makes for a face-melting 3 S6 AP3 shots each at 5", but you have to balance that with the risk of attaching an Ethereal to such a suicidal unit.

The Ethereal only needs to be within 12" of the unit, so s/he can be in a unit a little way back and hence slightly safer. The real issue with any Fish of Fury is whether you can even activate the Ethereal power when not yet outside the transport. If not then the Ethereal would have to spend a whole turn close to the enemy waiting to die before the breachers jump out and do their thing.

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Oct 25 2016 08:52

So the ethereal might not be able to stay in the DF, and create a "bubble" the achive FOF

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Oct 25 2016 04:31

The Ethereals's "auras" don't work if embarked in a transport.

Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Oct 25 2016 06:51

I haven't been able to find anywhere in the rules that states he can't stay in the devilfish and do FOF. It only mentions psychic powers.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Oct 25 2016 10:46

Blade Runner wrote:I haven't been able to find anywhere in the rules that states he can't stay in the devilfish and do FOF. It only mentions psychic powers.

It's in the draft FAQ on the official Facebook page.
Basically no aura-like thing works from inside vehicles unless stated otherwise because while embarked the model itself isn't actually on the table.

T'au_Vra'jash
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Nov 10 2016 11:00

Breachers + Devilfish + Ethereal (all of them disembarked) are devastating at short range. Mine once obliterated a Necron Overlord with its Lychward in a single round. 30 S6 AP3 shots are really nasty :D .

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#33 » Nov 10 2016 01:55

The question is how long did they survive after that though?

Was it worth sending the Ethereal into harms way like that?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Nov 10 2016 02:12

Let's see.
10 Breacher with an additional shot thanks to the Ethreal makes 15 hits on average.
10 Breacher with 2 Markerlights makes about 16,67 hits on average.

Sure you could add Markerlight support to the Ethereal unit as well but i think 15 S6 AP3 hits are already plenty and more would probably just become overkill.
Markerlights are more expensive. Yes. They are also more flexible, don't give an additional VP for the enemy and they are much safer since they aren't part of the Breacher unit...which are still a suicide unit. Or at least very close to being one.

Going with pure numbers the Ethereal sure seems to be worth to take with Breacher but Markerlights are still slightly better plus offer so much more to your list than a single Ethereal in a Breacher unit.
It's not super super terrible but not that great either....i for one really don't want to sacrifice a VP for 5 more S6 AP3 hits on a unit that most likely gets killed next turn.

Isshiresshi
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#35 » Nov 11 2016 05:16

After reading this topic I wanted to try it out myself, and I love it!

It is a really fun tactic! But then again, I do like the high risk, high reward actions.

Now, in my gaming community there's a lot troops, so I'm going to experiment with 10 Fire Warrior Strike Team with Pulse Carbin, do practice CC with the pinning rule, and see how that works out.

This tactic about going "in your face!"-style is quite fun.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#36 » Nov 11 2016 07:43

Aggressive Tau (which is what I suspect they tend to play in the GW HQ) can be a lot of fun to play and to play against.

I rather wish that Darkstrider's special rule had been an hour my wide ability rather than supporting fire because it would have encouraged a much more entertaining play style.

Return to “Archival Datacore”