Commander load out help

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
CommanderDeathrain
Shas'La
Shas'La

Commander load out help

Post#1 » Nov 26 2016 11:08

Hi guys
I'm building my commander and struggling to decide what ranged weapon options to give her. I know most of her load out already
Drone controller target lock iridium armour onager gauntlet. So what ranged weapon systems should I give my commander in your opinion

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Commander load out help

Post#2 » Nov 26 2016 01:05

Give her magnets. Seriously, learn how to magnetize your crisis suits. Basically every gun is good on them, it just depends what situation. Magnetizing also prevents your crisis suits from being invalidated with a new codex release. One of the first crisis suits I ever made was Plasma/Missile Pod (which was the "best" loadout with our 4th edition codex), but I rarely use that loadout anymore so that suit sits on the sidelines a lot. My original commander has a missile pod and Airbursting Fragmentation Projector because I had no idea what I was doing. Basically never use that model anymore.

If you're not going to magnetize her, just try and figure out how you like to play her first. If she's just sitting back with a bundle of drones while they shoot markerlights then going with double missile pod. It has similar range so you can scoot around the edge of the battle and pepper things. Although if you go this route it probably is a waste to equip her with an onager gauntlet.

If you're deepstriking double plasma is great for killing MEQs/TEQs and double fusion is amazing anti-tank. One plasma/one fusion is good at both but not great at either.

You can also go no guns with drone controller, stims, shield generator, vectered retro-thrusters and the twin-linked/ignore cover signature systems and dump her in a large squad of crisis suits.

Double burst cannon is kinda fun, since BS5 is great with 8 shots, but this is covered well by other areas of our army.

Personally I run my commander with Fusion Blaster, Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster (upgraded to fusion blades), Stims and a bunch of signature systems. Then I bundle him up with farsight, a few crisis suits before running around and assaulting stuff. Quite fun.

TL;DR -> Magnets, use them
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

CommanderDeathrain
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 26 2016 01:11

Thanks for that info I will probably run her dual missile pod as with the exception of 1 broad side and my Ion rifle path finders and the riptides ion accelerator I really don't have much strength 7 fire power.

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 26 2016 09:32

Assuming you are using magnets :smile: , my favourite loadouts are:

1 - Mark'O - two missile pods, PEN, iridium armour, target lock (not necessary if joining a drone net, pick velocity tracker), drone controller
2 - tank - iridium armour, shield generator, stimulant injectors, PEN, Onager gauntlet with fusion blade for close-combat or missile pods for long-range shooting

CommanderDeathrain
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 27 2016 05:12

I actually hadn't considered the Puretide signature system the thought of having my commander chucking out 4 bs 5 strength 7 shots with tank hunter vs vehicles or monster hunter vs mc is pretty amazing. As with target lock she can fire at one thing while the marker drones light something else up.

Another question thought I'd ask here instead of making a different thread
In planning to run a 4 man crisis team in the hunter cadre 3 of the suits have 2 plasma rifles and counter fire defence system. The sergant has 2 shield drones and the command and control node. Would it be a waste of points to give him 2 flamsrs just for over watch purposes?

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Nov 27 2016 04:48

CommanderDeathrain wrote:Hi guys
I'm building my commander and struggling to decide what ranged weapon options to give her. I know most of her load out already
Drone controller target lock iridium armour onager gauntlet. So what ranged weapon systems should I give my commander in your opinion

If you are talking about modeling your commander, then I suggest investing heavily in magnets and magnetizing everything. It'll look way cooler, and be more customization.

If you are instead talking about what to have equipped on them for a game, that will depend on what your commander's job is for your army. Sometimes it'll be doing markerlight support. Sometimes it will be buffing a unit. Sometimes it will be leading a unit into the enemy lines. Each suit is kitted out differently for each job.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 27 2016 07:35

CommanderDeathrain wrote:In planning to run a 4 man crisis team in the hunter cadre 3 of the suits have 2 plasma rifles and counter fire defence system. The sergant has 2 shield drones and the command and control node. Would it be a waste of points to give him 2 flamsrs just for over watch purposes?

The simple answer is that flamers are not a waste, assuming you don't need the points elsewhere. That said, if you are going to equip and CCN, you might as well bring the MSS and one flamer.

The complex answer depends on how you plan on using the unit. I tend to deepstrike this type of unit against specific targets. If it starts on the table, I like to give them EWO instead of CFDS. The problem I've encountered is the limited targets a unit of plasma rifles is good against, and the danger of getting within 12" to get rapid fire. This is the one case where I give the crisis suits a mix of fusion blasters and plasma rifles. There is only a slight decrease in range but it allows you to target heavy armour as well as MEQ and TEQ (with the chance of instant death) depending on the circumstances.

Where I think you can look at your points are the shield drones. They can be useful but it is difficult for two drones to protect four suits (five with the commander) against the AP 1-3 shots that bypass the suits' armour save.

CommanderDeathrain
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 28 2016 11:41

Thanks for the replies
The commander will be sat with the marker lights doing the typical jump shoot jump shenanigans. I actually hadn't considered the ignores cover relic so I will have to look into that. I do plan to have a suicide fusion suit just because it is pretty much the only way to take a ethereal in a hunter contingent

Return to “Archival Datacore”