Complex Mid-Game Decision I'm Unsure About

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Complex Mid-Game Decision I'm Unsure About

Post#1 » Nov 26 2016 02:53

During my game yesterday I came across an incredibly complex situation. I'm not really sure if my decision was correct.

It's my turn 4 in a Tau vs Tau game playing Spoils of War (the Maelstrom where you can score either players Secure Objective X). I'm currently losing by 3-4 points.

Here is the situation before he moves at the top of Turn 4.
He moves his pathfinders to flank my squad, killing one of the suits. He puts the rest of his fire power into my iridium commander and wounds him twice. He then screens his crisis suit squad with his piranhas.

My remaining relevant units are as follows. A deathstar with the following
Commander Fusion Blaster, Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Stims, Fusion Blade, Puretide, Iridium, Talisman (2 wounds left)
Farsight Counts-As, is my warlord (The small character on the red base in the middle of the squad)
Crisis Team - 2x Members - FB/FB, FB/FB + VRT

Strike Team - 3x members surviving, Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret
Strike Team - 2x members surviving, Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret (both being harassed by a handful of drones)
All members + turrets are in range of the piranhas.

His Remaining Relevant Forces
Ethereal - Used the triple tap ability last turn, is the warlord and is In Devilfish, D-Pod (drones already deployed)
Note: We agreed before the game that we'd allow his ethereal to sit in his devilfish and still use powers even though the new FAQ says that isn't correct.

Crisis Team - 4x Members, MP, TL-MP, + Shas'vre, TL-MP, Puretide Engram Chip

Pathfinders - 8x Members
Piranhas - 2x FB (drones deployed).

The piranhas moved directly in front of the crisis team.

What do I do during turn 4? The relevant maelstrom card I drew is "issue a challenge". After moving I have a 5-6" charge to reach the piranhas and a 7" charge to reach the crisis team if both piranhas explode. If at least one is merely wrecked, it'll be dangerous terrain and a 9" charge. If neither are destroyed I can't reach the crisis team. If I want to charge the pathfinders I can move so that is almost guaranteed.

Here is the situation after I made my decisions Turn 4 (this shows much more closely how things were deployed during my turn than the previous turn, note that there was a piranha directly in front of my commander, but it was removed as it exploded).

I ended up splitting the commander/farsight off of the 2 FB crisis team. Then I shot my firewarriors and the 2x FB team into the piranhas. After jinking I wrecked one. I then multi-assaulted into the piranhas with the crisis team as a secondary target with my commander/farsight after shooting neither of them. I made the charge into the piranha but not into the crisis team. As a result my two FB crisis suits were slain.

My thought was that if I managed to make the charge I'd almost certainly win combat and could destroy the piranha and sweep the crisis team which would basically end his army and win me the game. I'd also be able to challenge his shas'vre and get my maelstrom card. I figured it was very risky, but I was losing by a good bit already. In hindsight I'm not so sure if I should have split off my two crisis suits because it basically guarantees they die if I don't make the charge into the crisis team. Maybe I should have just shot his piranhas to pieces and then assault jumped right on top of his crisis team/ethereal so I could almost certainly charge them next turn.

So to summarize, you have a fusion blade commander, farsight (warlord) and 2x FB crisis suits in a squad and are losing by 3-4 maelstrom points with your only achievable point this turn being "Declare a Challenge". Do you split up the squad this turn? How much priority do you put in making the assault into the crisis team? How do you try and clear out the piranhas to make that charge if you want to go for it (remember if you kill them both with the commander he can't charge the crisis team). Do you just shoot FBs into the crisis squad assuming you won't make the charge on them? Do you do something else completely? You also have two very small strike squads, do they pepper the piranhas, the crisis suits, or the several small gun drone units attacking them?
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Re: Complex Mid-Game Decision I'm Unsure About

Post#2 » Nov 26 2016 09:54

I'll start by assuming that the pathfinders didn't have a Shas'ui in the squad. That would have made things too easy. :D

My first thought is that maybe the focus should have been getting Farsight into combat and not the commander as Farsight isn't a slouch in CC and the commander could have helped to clear a path. Or, even if you chose not to shoot at the piranhas with the commander, you could have had two charge rolls if the commander and Farsight had been split-up.

I can't tell if the multi-charge was necessary but the survival of the FB suits is irrelevant if you need to score points and you aren't giving-up kill points.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 27 2016 01:10

Correct the pathfinders did not have a Shas'ui.

Didn't think about two separate charges.

The fusion blade commander and Farsight are about equal in terms of CC. The fusion blade commander has STR8 AP1 attacks. He's actually slightly more likely to cause leadership checks via wounds (he actually ended up catching and sweeping them the next turn), Farsight is more likely to sweeping advance the enemy suits after a leadership test. Both will utterly ruin the piranhas.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Nov 28 2016 09:57

I'd say shoot the devilfish and charge the guys inside, challenging the ethereal. Not sure of the exact distances, but that seems like it would have done some damage to his ability to pump out shots while at the same time getting that maelstrom point.

Interesting scenario.

Cheers!

Return to “Archival Datacore”