Is Tidewall Rampart worth its points?

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
nod007
Shas

Is Tidewall Rampart worth its points?

Post#1 » Nov 27 2016 07:06

Have any of you guys been using Tidewall Rampart or any part of it? How has it worked for you? Do you think its worth its points? Or is one part (e.g. just the shieldwall, droneport or the gunrig) better then other parts?

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Is Tidewall Rampart worth its points?

Post#2 » Nov 28 2016 06:07

The Droneport is the best cost-effective part of all, as in the end it costs measly 4p.

I'd say the Gunrig is much more worth in the Gunfort.

Used the shieldwall only once, found it to be a bit meh.

Never used the entire Rampart

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#3 » Nov 28 2016 10:11

I have the models, but have found fortifications way too limiting. You need to be able to move around the board.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Nov 28 2016 02:19

I have the full Tidewall Rampart set, opinion of the various parts:

The shield line is pretty expensive for what you get in a game where cover saves are not that reliable. Its OK for a bit of fun or flavour sometimes.

The droneport is very cost effective unless you have plenty of drones elsewhere. If you are taking the Drone Net VX1-0 the drones from that are so much better making it less attractive as an option. Always nice for a moving Skyray or broadside. I like it well enough as an option in a CAD but there are other fortifications out there and in the tournament CAD list I just submitted I went for one of those other options (Munitorum Armoured Containers).

The gunrig is a relatively cost effective way to put S10 AP1 shooting in your list and comes as standard with the S6 AP4 large blast option. If you are willing to be flexible on which model sits on the platform you can give it some neat special rules like Tank/Monster Hunter, Interceptor or Precision Shots all of which have utility. It is far from a must-have but it stands on its own merits as a decent source of firepower which can reach across the table.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 28 2016 04:54

I've only used the shield-line, but I've put some thought into how to use each of them. Each one can be fairly situational.

The Gunrig is probably the most versatile and it can be really good, either put Darkstrider or a commander on it, and it would work really well verses MC's or Tanks. It can also still do stuff for less points, if you don't use one of the HQ choices to fire the Railgun, plus it has the re-roll 1's for everyone on it.

Maybe its just that the meta at my local store doesn't have an abundance of ignores cover, but I really like the shield line, especially with Sniper drones (BS5 Re-rolling 1's with 4+ armor and 3+ cover :fear: ). It would be all about how you use it, fire warriors without a fireblade or kroot without sniper rounds, probably wouldn't get too much out of it. But Pathfinders and Sniper Drones, get mobility while counting as stationary, re-roll 1's and the tidewall field. So it tends to be less versatile than the Gunrig.

The drone-port offers "free" drones, like our vehicles and it has the same re-roll as the others. I would take the other ones before the drone-port unless I wanted more drones of a certain type or a mobile cover save for a unit that won't draw as much fire as the gunrig.

I don't think I would use the Rampart unless it was in a very large game (>3000 points), maybe not even then. All the sections have to stay near each other and it would take up quite a bit of space so it would be hard to move.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 02 2016 03:36

Tidewall seems to be fun if you're playing a friendly game or casual game. For hardcore games or tournaments, the Tidewall may not be very effective.

I think the most glaring reason is the fact that Firewarriors seem to be the biggest benefactors to this formation considering they're pretty much the only ones that can fit comfortably on it. They get a pretty good save, and they are able to shoot a little better than normal, but it still doesn't make up for the fact that they are just firewarriors and you've already spent a good amount of points on the Tidewall that could have gone to some more dakka.

The other issue is that aside from Firewarriors, no other unit in the codex can really use the Tidewall. Crisis suits MAYBE, but they are usually deepstriking on the enemy, or JSJ anyway. Riptides do not need it. Stormsurges do not need it. Vehicles largely do not need it. I suppose you could argue that they're getting a decent cover save in the open, but again that's a lot of points that could have been spent on more dakka. Besides, most boards have enough terrain to hide your tanks and other units in.

I think the Tidewall would be a great piece to your collection, and certainly useful for some games. I'm not sold on its performance as it is a large point sink to buff a unit that isn't really all that good or sought after to begin with.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Return to “Archival Datacore”