Is point/eff. the only thing?

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Tallen
Shas

Post#19 » Mar 07 2006 06:51

The most points-efficient suit configurations themselves have already been figured out for years. Fireknife, deathrain, helios, sun forge etc... It's not so much about how much the suits themselves cost really so much as how they blend with the rest of your army and your style of play. Originally I'd just planned on taking Helios suits - I prefer the maximum number of AP2 or better shots I can eke out of them because they're the best source in the Tau army for that. Preferably on HQ suits because of the better BS (the weapons are worth more there for the same points cost). However, I was convinced by folks here pretty early on to bring some deathrains for the mid-range punch Mech armies generally lack and to bring down transports.

It comes down to the suits you like to use, for whatever reason. You'll find ways to make them effective - and that's what this site is for, sharing info for all those lurkers out there who have all sorts of preferences and giving them tips on using units they like.
Eat Wake.

The Professor
Shas

Post#20 » Mar 07 2006 07:14

Markerlights are going to probably shake up the status quo for suit configs though. A fireknife will benefit from markerlights more than a deathrain, combined with the new drone rules, fireknife teams start to look a lot more promising.

That being said, it really all depends on the role of the suit in your army and your own personal preference- if that BC F MT suit is the star of your army, don't let common wisdom destroy an unconventional element of your force that works for you.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#21 » Mar 08 2006 10:11

Yes, with the arrival of out now-even-more beloved Markerlights a Fireknife team of three suits is going to be deadly.

At the moment I'm thinking of running one team of three Deathrains and one unit of three Fireknives. Put one commander with the Deathrains (use his Ld for Priority tests plus he can lend a hand with his MPs) and the other with the Fireknives.

Stealth suits don't count for hiding ICs, right ?
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

Marc
Shas

Post#22 » Mar 08 2006 10:15

stealth suit don't count for targeting piortity so no

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#23 » Mar 08 2006 10:17

pity, ah well, would have been too cool.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Marc
Shas

Post#24 » Mar 08 2006 10:21

Mephet'ran wrote:pity, ah well, would have been too cool.

thought intresstingly SMS ignore targeting piority :evil: there is so going to be a tau FAQ the week after the codex comes out stopping that (if you didnt get what i ment, i mean that the SMS hitting indepent charatures)

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#25 » Mar 08 2006 10:41

Marc wrote:(if you didnt get what i ment, i mean that the SMS hitting indepent charatures)

That's a totally separate rule from target priority.

Just because SMS doesn't require a target priority check doesn't mean it can target IC's.

The Professor
Shas

Post#26 » Mar 08 2006 03:49

Mephet'ran wrote:Put one commander with the Deathrains (use his Ld for Priority tests plus he can lend a hand with his MPs)

Why not use the CnC node and let the commander keep his IC status? The cost of the CnC node is a small price to pay for the immunity offered by IC status.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#27 » Mar 08 2006 04:39

Umm, thats what I meant. Sorry, I have no idea what the upgrades are called, haven't got the codex yet.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

The Professor
Shas

Post#28 » Mar 08 2006 06:42

No problem, I don't have it either, it's just your wording implied that you were going to attach him to the squad rather than using "that target priority wargear". At least that's how I interpreted it, it's inevitable that this limbo period where some people have the 'dex and others is going to get hairy when some of us have it and some are going by what we have picked up on the net.

X-FuryEagle-X
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Mar 08 2006 06:51

Mephet'ran wrote:Stealth suits don't count for hiding ICs, right ?

You know... this is an argument/debate I have been having for a while. Guess I should have just posted it here in the rules discussion section but it goes something like this....

1) Stealths may be ignored for the purpose of target priority. So if stealths are closest and FW next closest, your opponent can legitimately target the stealths with no priority check OR he can choose to ignore them and can shoot the FW with no priority check.
2) If FW are closest and IC is second, you can't shoot the IC as he is not the nearest unit.

BUT

3) If stealths are in front of an IC, can you shoot the IC? My stance on this is and always has been no you can't. My view is just because the stealths can be ignored for target priority doesn't change the fact that they are still the nearest legitimate targettable unit.

In my opinion, your opponent can say "stealths are closest, no target priority required" and shoot them. OR he can choose to ignore them and shoot the next closest. But he can't do that to an IC, as it was his choice to ignore the stealths in the first place.

FE

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#30 » Mar 09 2006 12:59

You know what Fury, I think you're right ! :evil: Hehe, guess where my Deep Strike HQ suits are going to be hiding now.....sweet.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

A neutral shade of black.
Shas

Post#31 » Mar 09 2006 01:40

X-FuryEagle-X wrote:3) If stealths are in front of an IC, can you shoot the IC? My stance on this is and always has been no you can't. My view is just because the stealths can be ignored for target priority doesn't change the fact that they are still the nearest legitimate targettable unit.

Correct. The fact that they can be ignored for target priority does not mean that they can be ignored when determining whether or not you can shoot an IC. They're still the closest legal target, so tough luck for the opponent.

stevefox
Shas

Post#32 » Mar 09 2006 12:09

A neutral shade of black. wrote:The fact that they can be ignored for target priority does not mean that they can be ignored when determining whether or not you can shoot an IC. They're still the closest legal target, so tough luck for the opponent.

In total agreement with this.

Back to the orignal theme of this thread, my favorite Crisis unit is:

'El w/ TLPR, FB, HWMT
2 BGs W/ TLPR, FB, HWMT

Yeah its pricy, its inneficient, it has 12" range on its secondary weapon. I'll give all that on its downside.

Upside. JSJ from cover with this for 2-3 turns and a whole squad of MEQs disapears.

Take out a whole squqd of MEQs, and most MEQ armies start looking a little sparse. And, you probably have thwarted your opponents main thrust. My regular opponents look for this unit on the table then TRY to avoid it at virtually any cost. They rarely succeed, as it is too mobile to avoid. It also is good at taking out heavy vehicles in a pinch.

Oh, deep striking with this unit has worked quite well for me. Risky yes, but its war, right? Be interesting to see how this tactic works with the PFDF deepstrike thingy.

'El Fox
'El Fox
"Remember: We're the Good Guys!"

Markerlite
Shas

Post#33 » Mar 09 2006 12:40

A neutral shade of black. wrote:Correct. The fact that they can be ignored for target priority does not mean that they can be ignored when determining whether or not you can shoot an IC. They're still the closest legal target, so tough luck for the opponent.

If you read the Tau fact sheet on the GW website you will find the following entry:

A stealth team never blocks LOS to other Tau units. Similarly, an IC cannot claim to be immune to enemy fire by being near them or njoining the unit.
Markerlite
(The beer that always hits home)

stevefox
Shas

Post#34 » Mar 09 2006 01:45

Markerlite wrote:If you read the Tau fact sheet on the GW website you will find the following entry:
A stealth team never blocks LOS to other Tau units.

I see that part, but

Similarly, an IC cannot claim to be immune to enemy fire by being near them or njoining the unit.

Nowhere do I see that.

'El fox

A neutral shade of black.
Shas

Post#35 » Mar 09 2006 01:52

Markerlite wrote:If you read the Tau fact sheet on the GW website you will find the following entry:

What Tau "fact sheet?" The FAQ? Because it says nothing of the kind...

Return to “Archival Datacore”