Interceptor and splitfire interactions

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
gamma016
Shas

Interceptor and splitfire interactions

Post#1 » Dec 13 2016 06:46

Hello everyone, I'm picking my tau back up from a long break and have started making some new lists. My question comes from the drone net VX1-0 formation. All drones from this formation gain the interceptor and splitfire special rule. If I add a commander with an EWO to the unit during interceptor is he allowed to fire at a different unit that arrived via reserve? Interceptor says that a weapon can be fired at any one unit that arrived from reserve within it's line of sight and range(BRB 167). Splitfire states that when a unit with at least one model with splitfire shoots, one model cat shoot at a different target than the rest of the unit (BRB 172). Am I correct in assumeing that so long as both targets arrive from reserve the commander is allowed to shoot one where the unit of drones can shoot another?

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Interceptor and splitfire interactions

Post#2 » Dec 13 2016 07:07

Spoiler!
I think the new FAQ covered this and says you're fine doing that.

Edit: Correction by myself; that's not true
Last edited by Ricordis on Dec 13 2016 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

gamma016
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 13 2016 07:28

I cannot find the ruleing in the FAQ, can you reference a page?

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 13 2016 08:17

My mind tricked me! Oh you brain, you are not trustworthy anymore!

You're right, I mixed it up with the overwatch-passage.

But still I did not find anything preventing you from doing this.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 13 2016 09:16

Seems perfectly legal to Splitfire your Interceptor guns between different targets that are all Interceptable, so to speak. I wouldn't even consider it an exploit.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 13 2016 10:33

The rule on pg 167 says what you can do. The requirement is a weapon with interceptor (in this case the model) can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from reserves.

Fluff wise, the interceptor computer system detected the incoming unit and auto targeted its planned impact trajectory.

I would say you could split fire to other units, but only to units that have also deep struck.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

gamma016
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 14 2016 02:06

Thanks everyone, that's how I figured it should work but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking any rules

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#8 » Dec 14 2016 10:30

Always a great thing Gamma!

Eventually you gonna unintentionally cheat some how in this game it's just so big. :D

Glad to see you taking time.to have rules clarified mate.

Decs
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 15 2016 10:20

Hey gamma016! With all due respect for my colleagues that answered you before, but I'm pretty convinced you cannot use the Split Fire special rule on the attached commander :sad: . Because:
1.) The rule granting all the special rules is bound to the formation, which the attached commander is not a part of.
2.) This Rule " Enhanced Tactical Responses" quotes: " All Drones in this Formation have the Interceptor, Jink, Outflank, Precision Shot and Split Fire special rules." So it specifically affects only the drones and only from this formation.( Vice Versa the +1 BS from Collective Targeting Data that is specified to affect all Drones in the army)

You already recognized that your commander needs EWO for Intercepter, which he is not granted by the formation for of not being part of it. I'm afraid the exact same thing is true for Split Fire. :-(

But you can give the Commander EWO and Target Lock, which would have the same result as Split Fire for +5 points. What was your Idea behind joining the drones with the commander?

I looked up the official GW FAQ from Nov 16, in the Independent Character Pat its says:
"Q: Do rules applying to ‘the unit’, such as those from Formation
special rules (e.g. the Skyhammer Annihilation Force), or unitwide
special rules such as Dunestrider from Codex: Skitarii
apply to any attached Independent Characters?
A: No. The Formation special rules themselves do not
apply to characters that join the Formation (unless
specifically stated otherwise), although they may confer
other special rules which do apply to characters that
have joined units, such as Stealth or Stubborn."

Decs

Use the edit button instead of double posting. Cheers! -L'R
Shas' O Sun'zi writes: Attack with fire!

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#10 » Dec 15 2016 02:00

Split Fire rule has the "..a unit that contains at least one model.." form of wording. In the relevant FAQ entry the two examples of rules which DO confer a benefit to the IC (Stealth and Stubborn) both have this specific form of wording to allow their benefit to be applied to the attached IC.

So I would say that this works just fine.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Dec 15 2016 11:35

Reference page 172 of the BRB.

If at least one model in the unit has Split fire, then it allows one model in a unit to fire at different target. It only allows one model though.

Our own Cadre Fireblade provides this buff!
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 06 2017 07:01

Yup, this is why Target Lock specifically does not confer Split Fire, but has a different effect. This is to allow multiple suits to fire at different targets, and also for suits to fire at 3+ targets. However, what this DOES mean, is that the Commander can fire at a different target but ALL the drones must fire at the same target.

Return to “Archival Datacore”