Culexus Operative

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Pogman
Shas'Saal

Culexus Operative

Post#1 » Mar 04 2017 06:49

Hey folks, do any of you all have some advice for how best to run a culexus assassin to get him in and effective before he gets shot up to bits?

I'm also considering sisters of silence to deal with psykers, but I have even less idea how to run

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Culexus Operative

Post#2 » Mar 04 2017 07:19

Culexus is best used for targeted attacks. He can infiltrate, so you can typically get pretty close to your target, then you chase them down and finish them off. Just keep in mind that he can only move 6in in the movement phase so he is relatively "slow".

Sisters are used for area denial.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 04 2017 08:36

Mhmm, i'll just have to count on him being a distraction Carnifex if he can't actually get in range. Thankfully i'll have a ret cadre come down turn 2 to get some heat off of him. Though turn 1 I'll try to keep him out of LoS.

For sisters, are they better charging in to the thick of it or staying back and shooting?

TheDragonsDen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 06 2017 12:13

I've used sisters to good effect a couple times. They kinda hide out till you need to get em out front. They have a 3+ armor so they are kinda durable. Haven't used a Culexus. Sisters we're cheaper and easier for me so I went that route. Plus there's 5 of em so you get a bigger bubble.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 07 2017 02:37

It depends on what you are hunting with your Culexus. If your opponent is decent they will make it so you do not have a favorable position to infiltrate your Culexus. It will be pretty obvious what the Culexus' target is too if your opponent has psykers.

From what I understand Sisters are used for area denial to help stop Psyker oriented death stars. You can take them in a single unit, but the Formation offers some slight buffs to them, especially if you play in a psyker heavy meta. They are useful in that they can be deployed forward as a psychic shield for your troops. They are also not half bad in combat as I believe they have AP2 weapons at initiative.

Their only drawback is that they are T3 with 3+. That won't last very long out in the open. Either way, they are certainly a good choice to keep melee oriented and psyker oriented "close combat" guys out of your gunline's hair.

TL;DR: If you see a lot of psykers in your meta, use the Culexus or Sisters and see which one works best for you. Culexus goes after the psyker. Sisters prevent them from getting to you.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 07 2017 03:06

Culexus is a little bit faster than 6" since he shoots in the Psychic phase and can therefore run in the Shooting phase. Probably not a game changer, he doesn't have Fleet, but something to consider.

Return to “Archival Datacore”