Tau Blitzkrieg... Is it now viable?

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#31 » Mar 09 2006 02:16

And I also think the positional relay is an experimental issue item... so only available on hardpoints on Shas'vre or higher... so noone onboard at the start can have one

Well that sucks. I really want that damn codex, I'll probably be getting it tomorrow, so I'll see.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O

but a broadside

Post#32 » Mar 09 2006 02:43

But you could use a broadside as your "anchor" for the relay. Expensive trick, though...

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#33 » Mar 09 2006 03:10

Better would be a small 3 man Stealth team, but thats just a massive waste of an Elite slot.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Ezzeran
Shas

Post#34 » Mar 09 2006 03:38

Better would be a small 3 man Stealth team, but thats just a massive waste of an Elite slot.

Not if you upgunned the stealth team with some gun drones. I understand that the stealth team has to have same hardpoint loadouts, but is the team leader exempt from that rule? Can he use a special issue wargear while the rest mount drone controllers?
Ezz

Calvin
Kor

Post#35 » Mar 09 2006 05:03

As far as I see it, perhaps the question should be, why not take a positional relay?
After all, if you know your unit is very likely to come in first time, deeepstriking a single unit becomes a much more realiable tactic that opens up opporunities you might not have risked before.

Similarly, if you have it in your army but decide you want to deepstrike everything presumably you don't have to use the positional relay?

Whilst thirdly, if you find yourself playing a drop pod army, that positional relay is golden because you can delay your army coming in as has been pointed out.

In a tournament list, it seems like something that will very often be not so bad, very rarely will it be completely useless (even if you don't eventually use it, having the option might be worth the points) whilst in some games like drop pods it could be worth many times its points value.

So, unless it's rediculously expensive (I have to admit, I don't know how much we're talking here points wise) it seems to be something worth having just as a card up your sleeve.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#36 » Mar 09 2006 08:16

excellent, I like where this is going. I think we may have fleshed out an otherwise not yet talked about piece of wargear and found a good use for it.

Just another idea on our old thinking vs new, Elite Slots. Yep, I remember when we had to squeeze them for all they were worth.

Now FA's been really improved so... I just don't think we are as Elite Dependent as before. Especially with ML support.

Vespids take some pressure of having Plasma Rifles.

Piranha can be used for Mass Pulse Shots.

I know I'm a big fan of the Tau elite, but perhaps we can afford to play around with less than maximum numbers with them?

Except Fireknives... I'm thinking that 3 with Shield Drones and a Pathfinder unit are going to be one of the best combinations in the Tau army.

kai

Senexis
Shas

Post#37 » Mar 09 2006 08:32

Ezzeran wrote:...I understand that the stealth team has to have same hardpoint loadouts...

Not so. If one has a loadout, all must, but they can be different loadouts. P35

The Professor
Shas

Post#38 » Mar 09 2006 08:45

kai'lore wrote:
Except Fireknives... I'm thinking that 3 with Shield Drones and a Pathfinder unit are going to be one of the best combinations in the Tau army.

So true, I am almost drooling in anticipation.

Tallen
Shas

Post#39 » Mar 09 2006 10:26

That pathfinder team is going to be a MAJOR target you know... especially since it only has 36" range and needs to maintain LoS to its target, unlike the Crisis team. I dunno about this scheme...
Eat Wake.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#40 » Mar 09 2006 11:15

true enough Tallen.

There are both Active and Passive ways to field something like this.

It gives us an option not unlike a Vidicator (in terms of usage, not the weaponary).

It can be used to both rush up and attack, for a fire-magnet and also, more subtly, for Area Denial.

The Pathfinder Team could be set up so that it's LOS denies a vital approach, diagonally and from behind/inside cover. Does that make sense?

Combine this with the Crisis Team covering the approch from another diagonal and you have a very effective kill team.

kai

Return to “Archival Datacore”