The most competitive configuration...

A review of past Tactics by commanders during the First, Second, Third & Fourth Phase Expansion.
Spooky
Shas

Post#37 » Sep 14 2006 05:00

Mephet'ran wrote:Yeah, I've noticed my SS hit even better with TA than before, a bigger improvement than 16%. The same goes for my Crisis with TAs.

you chump, thats because going from hitting 3 out of 6, to 4 out of 6 is an increase of 33% not 16%. a common mistake :p

Spooky
Shas

Post#38 » Sep 14 2006 05:05

anyway my thoughts are the same; 2 97pt FK 'els, 2 169pt FK units, 1 SS unit, 30 Kroot, 6 FWs, and 3 RHs.

except to solve the 38 pt problem, i dropped one of the target arrays from a crisis unit, and added a deathrain with targetlock who carries the drones. this:

97 - shas'el fireknife
97 - shas'el fireknife

169 - 2 fireknife, 2 drones (TL with BS4)
207 - 2 fireknife, 1 deathrain-targetlock, 2 drones
120 - 4 stealth

60 - 6 FW
70 - 10 kroot
70 - 10 kroot
70 - 10 kroot

180 - railhead
180 - railhead
180 - railhead

Spooky
Shas

Post#39 » Sep 14 2006 05:16

what do you guys think of putting a fusion blaster on one of the shas'els instead of his missile pod, in a list like the ones mentioned? its the same price...

there are a few reasons that i think it might work in the above lists compared to previous ones i've used:

- 3 railheads and 7 crisis already means a lesser need for missile pods otherwise

- lots of kroot, which means its possible to get him closer, possibly close enough to fire his fusion

- good anti-termy/obilt deepstrike protection, keep him behind a tank or kroot screen and they cant shoot him when they drop but he can slay them in retailation

- gives you an option to suicide him as a trade for a indirect threat you can't otherwise get at

opinions?

Protonic
Shas

Post#40 » Sep 14 2006 08:52

Spooky wrote:
Mephet'ran wrote:Yeah, I've noticed my SS hit even better with TA than before, a bigger improvement than 16%. The same goes for my Crisis with TAs.

you chump, thats because going from hitting 3 out of 6, to 4 out of 6 is an increase of 33% not 16%. a common mistake :p

Please explain!

3 divided by 6 = .5
4 divided by 6 = .66666

16.666% improvement?

5 divided by 6 = .83333 - A 33.3333% improvment over BS3?

Now I'm confused.

As to why 4/6 seems like a big improvement over 3/6, I think it has to do with GW dice. Some are lighter than others, and less balanced - there are most likely air bubbles inside them. Rolling all of my GW dice, 28, typically results in more 4s, 5s and 6s, than 1s, 2s and 3s. Picking up all the dice that rolled less than 4 and rolling them results in 3/5 to 2/3 of the dice getting less than 4.

The bad dice aren't going to get 1s, 2s and 3s all the time, but the percentage chance of getting a specific set of numbers is improved. I don't know if all the dice are bad (none of mine are perfect though) but its worth testing your dice. I've already had one game messed up because of poor dice (I was playing poorly, but my opponent was playing much, much worse, the dice tipped the odds in his favour). You can test your dice by dropping them into a glass of water. If the spin around while falling and land on similar numbers all the time - they're bad. Might also be worth weighing the dice - the lighter they are the less consitent results you'll get.

Dal'yth Mont'sha
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#41 » Sep 14 2006 09:51

Maths explanation ... and why 16% IS 33% ;)

Chance to hit with BS3 = 3/6 = 50%

Chance to hit with BS4 = 4/6 = 66%

additional 16% chance to hit is 33% increase over 50% chance to hit ... 16/50 x 100 = approx 33

:D

Protonic
Shas

Post#42 » Sep 14 2006 10:57

Ah.. I get it. The chance to hit has increased by 33% over its original chance, but out of 100% is still only a 16% improvement. Makes sense, just a different way of saying the same thing.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#43 » Sep 14 2006 11:36

I've often wished that one or more of my 'els had a FB, however I'm not sure if it is worth it. Most Ind threats can be taken out with the MP as well (except for mutated defilers) but a FB would be very useful against Oblits and termies, as well as when you finally get close enough to marines to rapid fire them. In your list with the Deathrain you should have enough MP fire to allow losing some from the 'el, however I'd say I've needed the MP on the 'el more often than I might have needed a FB.

What you could do Spooky is use those 38pts to upgrade one of your 'els to an 'O with PR, MP, FB, MT. Would cost 27pts, leaves 11pts for something else.
Mephet'ran
-MTT Old School

Feuerdrache
Shas

Post#44 » Sep 15 2006 12:33

Mephet'ran wrote:What you could do Spooky is use those 38pts to upgrade one of your 'els to an 'O with PR, MP, FB, MT. Would cost 27pts, leaves 11pts for something else.

Stim packs. :D

I'm a big advocate for Sunfire'O Commanders. I usually give him stims, too.

Mephet'ran
Shas

Post#45 » Sep 15 2006 03:58

Yep, thats what I thought of a bit later. Makes him tough, durable, flexible and almost too expensive.
Mephet'ran

-MTT Old School

Return to “Archival Datacore”